South Africa 2010

Also,I wanna see if Japan has great potential for this cup,its unusual fo an asian country like them to qualify, and I never knew that they play football,i thought they were only good for video games lol. I wont be amazed if they dont make a lot of progress.

South Africa I think are underrated. They play great as a team and play better than the sum of their individual parts. They showed lots of promise in the Confederations Cup last year as well and I think they have a definite shot at advancing if France stumble.

Uruguay are dead. They could not play, period. They were decent in the first half but after halftime it was like...what the hell happened? Did they just go into a really defensive shell because they thought they couldn't beat France or something?

France are good and show signs of life in offense, but they couldnt score even with all the chances that they got. Domenech is a total dumbass like Aguirre for Mexico. :ffs: A friend of mine (and I agreed) commented that both screwed up their lineups really badly either because of team politics or because they were both just really out of it.

Mexico should have won. They dominated most of the game and had a number of chances to score. In the end, I thought a draw was fair though.

Also,I wanna see if Japan has great potential for this cup,its unusual fo an asian country like them to qualify, and I never knew that they play football,i thought they were only good for video games lol. I wont be amazed if they dont make a lot of progress.

Asia qualifies 4 teams every World Cup. o.o

Japan qualified for 2006 as well where they did alright...kind of.

This year it's the 2 Koreas, Japan, and...Australia :ahmed:

South Africa I think are underrated. They play great as a team and play better than the sum of their individual parts. They showed lots of promise in the Confederations Cup last year as well and I think they have a definite shot at advancing if France stumble.

Thank God! Someone who actually watched the Confed Cup. I agree, South Africa have a good chance of qualification but it might just prove beyond them, they're in a tough group after all.

Uruguay are dead. They could not play, period. They were decent in the first half but after halftime it was like...what the hell happened? Did they just go into a really defensive shell because they thought they couldn't beat France or something?

The thing is France were outclassing them in the middle and French half. Uruguay just couldn't keep a sustained build up. I think they'll come good against Mexico and SA.

France played ok put the offense was laughable. No one passed to one another and at times it seemed they were getting in the way of eachother.

Mexico should have won. They dominated most of the game and had a number of chances to score. In the end, I thought a draw was fair though.

Based on SA's second half performance I'd have to agree but Mexico played well, they just didn't finish their chances and in the end that's football.

Japan qualified for 2006 as well where they did alright...kind of.

No we did shocking that year :gasp: 2002 was the one we did well in, beating Russia and such.

I really do think SA are a much better team than they were from the Confed Cup. Mphela looks a real handful, much better than Parker at the CC. and Tschabalala actually starting rather than being on the bench is also a good change. I'm just wondering what happened to Matthew Booth, who looked quite incredible at CC.

It'll go down to who's striker hits form the earliest in this group, they all have very good forwards and at the end of the day, they're the ones that win you games. Like had Franco been on top form Mexico would've won comfortably. The earlier France, Uruguay, SA and Mexico get Anelka, Suarez, Mphela and Franco respectively playing well, the better.

Also, as much I intend to enjoy this World Cup, I really do feel that most of the South African fans in the stadium are just there to dance around and make noise rather than enjoy the football. I wish they would treat it more like a football tournament than some carnival.

I don't think SA are underrated. I think that having the WC in SA has lifted the entire continent and you can see in the faces of the fans. There is a lot of passion and I think that's affecting the players. As a team, I'm unconvinced. High morale and playing with everything you have can substitute skill in the short term but I think they're just an average team TBH.

South Africa played really good for the first game. Mexico also it was 1-1 but man did you see how shocked SA were like when they hit the post at the end. They really wanted to make the nation pproud >_> So France beat Uraguay? I didnt see the game. But I enjoyed the opening ceremony and the first game. Pretty awesome to watch.

No France and Uruguay drew 0-0, it was a rather flat game all round. Good to see South Africa make a decent start.

I'm expecting a good game from Argentina v Nigeria today hopefully.

Well we got our first glimpse of Messi and co, and I don't see them winning the WC. They looked really disorganized both at the back and in attack, relied too much on Messi. I can see Dunga's Brazil destroying them again if they meet up again.

They didn't have any sort of formation (some sort of 4-2-4 with all forwards playing wide), passing wasn't as good as in 2006 (understandable since they don't have Riquelme and Cambiasso in midfield) and Jonas at right back? Very strange. I think Milito should start the next game, Higuain as much I like him didn't really look comfortable. They looked as if they could use a poacher up front, something they haven't really been able to replace ever since Crespo went.

But I'd be happy for them to prove me wrong and go all the way, I would like to watch Messi play as much as possible in this tournament, and Veron made some great plays at some points.

The Greece V South Korea game was quite interesting. Ji-Sung's goal was mighty impressive imo. Greece seemed a bit all over the place, from what I saw they only started applying pressure towards the end of the game when it was 2-0

I only really saw the very beginning of Nigeria V Argentina. At the beginning Nigeria seemed very unorganized, Argentina's early goal caught me by surprise. I was hoping Nigeria would be able to pull through, but no.

Come on you have got to show sympathy for England they are proobably the most unluckiest team in the top ten ranking........Because they mostly go out on penalties........and as well as "the hand of god" lol........But really I live in England and everyone has been talking about South Africa this year........We deserve at least semi-final looking at the team this year......Or third-place if we get to the semis.........But if we win it will be a fluke!

England unlucky? They haven't won the World Cup for 44 years because they usually haven't been good enough. They often have the talent (and they do this year) but don't always gel as a team.

Poor from Greece today, but South Korea look decent. Argentina were sublime at times (Nigeria's goalie had to keep his team in it single-handed at times), but a few moments of fragility which they will have to be careful about. And Maradona is a hilarious presence on the touchline.

England got the early lead, I can see more goals in this game. USA's defending looks suspect.

England played pretty well, all things considering. Missed the Gerrard goal because ITV decided to show adverts. That'll be all over the papers tomorrow. Green managed to upset everyone and redeem himself during the game. We were the better side because of the amount of chances we had. Shame that Rooney didn't get his chance to score.

The thing that annoys me the most about the US play is how much they resort to one touching the football, lobbing it after one touch, etc. Keep possession for a while ffs and maybe chances will open up.

With that being said, I was actually really impressed by how well the US performed in this match. We actually got decent possession times, we showed heart, and we showed a positive and confident attitude after Gerrard scored. Brilliance from Altidore late on as well. I'm excited to see how they do against Slovenia next.

Also, now I can go back to liking England. :lew:

I thought 1-0 would've been a good result so I'm not too disappointed, USA are a very good team now. So 1-1 only because of one calamity? Not too bad.

It's better to make these kinds of errors now during the group stages so that they can be avoided in the knock-out rounds. Beating Algeria and Slovenia shouldn't be as hard as USA so I still expect England to top the group.

But England could've done so much better. Heskey's 1-on-1 should've been a goal (though I'm sure we all knew he was going to miss), Lennon could've done better with crossing (can't accuse him though, he was great at getting into crossing positions) and Rooney only came to life after 60 minutes.

Missed the Gerrard goal because ITV decided to show adverts.

lol It happened again? I remember the same thing with Dan Gosling's goal in the FA Cup. I hate ITV, why can't they just hand everything to the BBC.

Last edited:
Omg england tied witht the states,NOOO!! well then I bet both teams wont go down so easily, I hope england gets no where near italy. But italy is in a very easy group my friends and I said that they should have a big advantage in the beginning.

Yes ITV HD was on top form there (normal ITV was unaffected I believe). Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YHr7jZsxg&feature=youtu.be

Their coverage really is awful.

Patchy start from England, though they've started poorly before and improved (in 1966, 1990 and 1996). But there was a lack of final product and decent finishing, they should have taken advantage of the USA defence being fragile.

Oooh I watched it today England VS USA.

I have to say that US got frickin' lucky ass shit. If Green hadn't messed up, They probably would've won.

That being said, it doesn't really bother me xD I live in the US so, it's all good :ryan:

We suck though to be honest :hmmm: We had piss poor D. :ffs:

I'd hate to be a goalie though either your hero or zero.

Poor dude. Its gonna stick with him forever.

So Korea kicked grece's ass today it seems xD and England and the Us tied 1-1 right? Looking forward to watching Italy own paraguay hopefully on monday. GO GO ITALIA :woo:

I thought England were fairly poor. How many other teams give up trying to play the ball along the ground to their strikers? Lampard and Gerrard were poor again and they never gave it to Lennon early enough.

Back