South Africa 2010

Finally Sepp Blatter is making good decisions. To be fair I can understand where Evra is coming from if people are playing that at 6am, but then it's up to the hotel management to control the noise where they're staying at, not FIFA.
And Cristiano Ronaldo saying it makes it hard to concentrate? Portugal haven't even played yet!

I've been to Wembley and the Millenium Stadium, and at both there were thousands of people with horns (not as loud as vuvuzelas, but still) and I didn't think the noise was annoying or distracting. It shows that the fans are in the spirit of the game and want to make as much noise as possible to get behind their team.

Seriously. It's not tennis. It's not golf. It's soccer. Man up.

GROUP E
Nation . . . . . . . . . W . . L . . D . . Pts . . GF . . GA . . GD
Netherlands . . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 0 . . .+2
Japan . . . . . . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 1 . . . 0 . . .+1
Cameroon. . . . . . . 0 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 1 . . . -1
Denmark . . . . . . . .0 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 2 . . . -2

GROUP F
Nation . . . . . . . . . W . . L . . D . . Pts . . GF . . GA . . GD
Italy . . . . . . . . . . .0 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0
Paraguay . . . . . . . .0 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0
New Zealand . . . . . 0 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0
Slovakia . . . . . . . . 0 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0

I totally agree. What I think is most annoying is most people 'around the world' think they should be banned from the World Cup completely. I think it's a pointless idea that takes away mightily from the atmosphere of the cup. I think if FIFA took them away it wouldn't sound unique at all.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...ela-official-villain-world-cup?cc=5901&ver=us

Agreed, like the article says aswell its not like this only came about in the world cup this year, people have had ways of cheering on fans since footballl began. They should be happy its not anything racist being chanted from the fans.

At the end of the day South Africa is hosting it so they should be able to celebrate it the South African way. If that means blowing a Vuvuzela then that's that. At least the crowd shows respect and doesn't play them during national anthems.

As far as distracting the players goes, they are professional soccer players, they live to play soccer. As far as I'm concerned, they should be able to play soccer in the middle of a warzone.

At least the crowd shows respect and doesn't play them during national anthems.

They do, did it during the Germany/Australia Game and also during the Slovenia/Algeria match.

But I agree, its the SA way to do thing so let them. Nobody bitched about the stupid chanting during the world cup in Germany...
And it does give the world cup a nicer atmosphere than thousands of drunk soccer fans sluring and singing ^^

As far as distracting the players goes, they are professional soccer players, they live to play soccer. As far as I'm concerned, they should be able to play soccer in the middle of a warzone.
Considering just how much they get paid they should just shut up and get on with it.

Mr.Sark said:
They do, did it during the Germany/Australia Game and also during the Slovenia/Algeria match.
Really? Can't say I noticed it. Guess I'll pay attention during the New Zealand V Slovakia game. I pretty much just drown it out anyway, I only notice it if I'm consciously thinking about it.

It's probably a bit much to say that you can't watch the game on the TV because of them, but I'm not on the pitch or in the stands so I can't really whether or not they're too loud. I obviously don't want players being affected either.

I've heard that the noise level they make can be damaging to your hearing, if you're there in the stands, but what isn't bad for you or dangerous nowadays?

And New Zealand are fairly giving Slovakia a good game.

Can't believe Slovakia gave up that late goal to the Kiwis. That puts Paraguay in a great position to possibly win the group.

Severe lack of finishing in Portugal v. Cote d'Ivoire. Should be about 3-2 CIV right now. Instead it's scoreless.

Also, Ronaldo dives any time a defender breathes on him. He's the Vlade Divac of soccer. -__-

Ronaldo's an arsehole, I wish that guy earlier just nutted him when he was being a gobshite. All being said, Ronaldo, as brilliant as he is, goes missing when it comes to big games. I don't think Portugal will get that far though.

I'm wanting to look forward to Brazil tonight but even though they're still brilliant, they aren't the flair team they used to be. :sad3:

Ronaldo feels a bit of contact and he puts on the theatrics. Hes a great player theres no need for dicing whatsoever.
Ivory coast seems to have come out a little better in the second half. They were quite defnesive in the first, always staying in their half of the pitch.
Its quite dissapointing though, i was expecting this game to be a belter. I wouldnt say its been boring but the lack of finish from either team has left me dissapointed.
Heres hoping we see the usual brazilian magic tonight.

The general lack of quality in this World Cup has been poor, barring the Germans. Maybe the Jabulani is as bad as everyone says... So much for 'the best ball every created'. At least the 2006 ball (which was also accused of being too light) allowed people like Frings and Maxi to score insane goals, this ball doesn't even allow the odd wonder goal! Every direct freekick taken so far has been bad.

I'm hoping Brazil can wake the world up this evening, I'm starting to get bored. I never thought I'd say that the quality of play is more annoying than the vuvuzelas.

There was always South Africa's goal as well which was brilliant. Imo, the ball is an excuse for playing badly. Germany had no problem putting 4 in the net and I've yet to see the ball do any unpredictable movement that a standard ball wouldn't do. It's just a general lack of quality.

Did you not see Ronaldos cross bar strike at the start of the game? o_O

Well its finished in a draw. Not a great result considering theyre in a group with Brazil.

I missed it :srsly:

I still stand by my statement though, 2006 was much better :mokken:

I still think we'll see an uptick of scoring once the second games roll around. A combination of settled nerves and teams pressing to avoid elimination/get favorable goal differential marks. And although I'm no soccer expert by any means, I agree with Ryan that the ball hasn't done anything strange as of yet.

The ball has been the scapegoat for players for years. No goalkeeper has been happy with the ball that I can ever remember. Players need to learn to own up to the responsibility that they weren't good enough, and not blame it on trivial things like the ball being too light.

I was really expecting Ivory Coast v Portugal to be a fantastic game, and its turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments so far. Hopefully Brazil will put on a good show later. You can usually rely on them for that.

IchiroSuzuki said:
The general lack of quality in this World Cup has been poor, barring the Germans.
The Germans played really well but Australia made them look a lot better than they actually were by comparison.

From what I've seen, the best goal so far has come from South Korea imo. Although Germany's first goal was decent.

I only saw the second half of the Ivory Coast V Portugal, but the Ivory Coast seemed to be applying some good pressure too bad nothing came out of it.

Back