Playstation Star Ocean

Johnny Mo

Failure is always an option
Gil
This tread is for all the Star ocean fans on this forum since i didn't notice a star ocean thread.
I myself think Star Ocean rocks (well most of it).
What do you guys think????

Only Star Ocean game I've played was Til the End of Time which I didn't finish since it was one of the games I sold off recently. Quite enjoyable and the battle system was pretty smart too although the two AI characters were useless at times, also the V/Os were terrible as well so had to play the game with them off. Wouldn't mind getting a copy of SOII someday but it's too expensive when I find a copy.

Well I really hated this game more than I liked it. Here's why, the voice acting, the graphics, gameplay, argh, just a lot of things bothered me. I only played Star Ocean 3 TTEoT, but the game had enough frustration parts to make me barf. I mean, the 100% thing you have to get for the map is ridiculous, I mean I liked the system better in FF12, where you didn't have to walk at every possible corner to finish the map.

The monsters, some were ridiculously strong in certain areas like I found the Styx to be a problem and I ended up having to level up a lot and I felt that it drew away from everything. It was always battle after battle to just keep up with the monsters. The story was promising, but the journey wasn't. I find Sophia to be very annoying and a s... Never mind, and Fayt sounds like a push over, no offense. The only voices that fit the characters pretty well was definantly Cliff, and possibly Albel. There were others as well.

I also didn't like the fact that you had to travel constantly between places, back to old and to new. I mean, I had a hard time knowing where I had to go. Like in the beginning of the game, if you didn't listen to Nel that carefully, you'll get lost and no hope of knowing where you're going even if you ask the townsfolk of a village or something.

And if you're under leveled, it'll still take you awhile to catch up and even then, it seems like the monsters are always one step ahead of me. Also the Battle Trophies are hard to get. I wish they were easier so I can get the 4D colors already. I only have 2D for the characters though... I mean, the new clothes are fun, the Battle Trohpies... Not so much.

I also dislike places like the Dungeons, then again, it's like that with most RPGs I play. I just find them creepy, but anyhow, places like the Shrine of Kaddan I find awful. I've pretty much forgotten where I've gotten in the story, but I want to finish it, but don't know if I have the heart to do it anymore. This is my second return to the Shrine I believe and my characters are only around level 70 or something and that isn't enough because doesn't the game allow your characters to level up to 200? That's just too much. =/

And the game makes some parts lengthier than it should. The only thing that kept me going really was getting Albel to be honest.

Oh yes, the battle system is quite fun, it's just everything else gets in the away. I find the characters to be stupid pretty often in battle. Like Fayt would always probably Heal Sohpia first over Albel or something unless I the user, do it myself...

Forgot to say that I have the Director's Cut. Not so sure what's special about it, but I do have it. This is just my take on it. If Square revised this game more, I would definantly play it again. The anime graphics only bother me simply because the characters still look rough and unfinished and like they try to strip down to the essential polygons... Otherwise, I would've liked them to look more realistic with the face and clothes. They look fruity... You know? >.>;;

I played the second one, and it was pretty cool. The battle system was different from anything I'd ever experienced. I only made it until about... 20 hours? I rented the game from a store, and the disc was scratched. Everytime I went to open this one door in some ruins, the game froze.

I played Til The End of Time, my only problem is the revealing of the mini map lol. So tedious.

I thought Star Ocean TtEoT was a great game. I was definately one of the more difficult rpg's I have played in a while. The battle system is still one of the best of all time. It is actually fun to go level up because the battle system is that good.

I really got into the story too. It was one of those where it makes you really wonder what is going to happen next.

I am actually in the middle of re-playing the game to try to get everything and go everywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is one of the only 2 disc games for the ps2.

Overall...Great game

I had a friend who enjoyed the many endings of a certain Star Ocean game. I tried it out and I was like okay give me a Final Fantasy game. Truthfully, I didn't get to play it because my younger brothers hogged the game but I thought it was a very decent game. The battle system was much more refreshing than the turn-base system.

Their 2D fighting system is way better than most if not all of the 3D fighting system like Tales of Symphonia. Hmmmm...I hope I got the right game lol.

Were there mulitple endings to the Star Ocean on the PSX? My friend recommmended a whole bunch of rpg games for the PSX and I believe Star Ocean was one of them. He loved the many endings.

I've tried so hard so hard to play this game but just couldn't finish it. I have purchased it twice and each time I play a good portion of the begining and end up trading it in.

Star Ocean, Undoubtly one of most unrated rpg games. Awesome 2d graphics for first 2 games & complex real time battle system. As for till the end of time, well have to finish 2 before that. anyways these games are high graphical, complex, & definetly worth any true rpg fan's time.

Star Ocean is great rpg made by none other than square-enix. I love this series(in my opinion its better than FF) and just wanted to know who else plays and why theres no place for it on the forum. BTW: there are new scans for SO 4 on rpgamer if anyones interested.

Last edited:
I think there is a Star Ocean topic in the Gold Saucer area. And I think I made it. XD Maybe not...I'm 100% there is a SO topic already. If someone else didn't make it, then I did. XD

I love this game to death. My favorite was SO2. I liked SO3 too, but not quite as much.

I don't believe so, & even if there is, it should have been moved(or put in its own forum , if that existed:dry:) here since its a SE game and definetly deserves its own forum.

Yeah, I got both of those, got to 2nd half SO2 and got my data corrupted. As for SO3, just need a emulator and dvd drive which I should be able to obtain soon.

I bought the third one but haven't beat it yet and I'm currently playing the first game via rom and emulator.

I think the second one had a lot more gameplay quirks. I loved the item creation factor. And I loved the battle system. ^.^

I'll make this quick.

Star Ocean(SNES), fun, good game.
Star Ocean: The 2nd Story(PS1), better, greater game.
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time(PS2), sucks, big time.

SO3 was a disapointment to me. You have to find a workshop to biuld crap? Horse fooey! The only thing I like about it was the GFX during the battles.

I can only help the next one will be dignified. -.-

Right now, i'm playing SO2 and looks like a great game even when i'm just at the beginning. The story reminds me a lot to SO3.

I've also played SO3 but never finished; my data was corrupted after the second disc and i've get so angry to start again.

I only played the third game (trying to find the second one), but I really liked. It just that the post-game dungeons are really hard. I'm still trying to beat one dungeon just so I can go the Sphere 211 floors and get Fayt's ultimate ability; or so the walk through explains.

Back