The Best Version

I've only ever played the PSone version of the game as well, so I can't say which of the three versions is the best.

I know the PSone version lacks the extras that comes with the GBA version (extra Espers like Leviathan or something like that), but at least it is equipped with rather beautiful CGI scenes that you won't get on the GBA or SNES.

And welcome to the forums of course! :lew:

Welcome, welcome, I've only played the GBA version on my now outdated GameBoy Advance SP, so I can only say that it's the best version. You've got, as Fleur pointed out, extra espers, I nicely tweaked soundtrack and the nostalgic factor of the original cutscenes, untouched.

C'mon, newcomer. Follow me.

Congratulations! You've just been welcomed with a Barret quote. Now, for the game, I'll let you decide. I've played them all, and here are the differences:

SNES: the most aesthetically pleasing version. It has the best music quality (doesn't win by much against the PSX version though), has the biggest amount of glitches and bugs.

Playstation: Comes with FFV (big pro); because of mistakes of emulation, has extended load times and screws some sound effects. The file-destroying glitches of the SNES version have been fixed, but some bugs persist. Has exclusive Full-motion video sequences, artwork gallery. You can hold down the cancel buttom to dash. Gameplay content has been unaltered.

GBA: Many bugs have been fixed, especially the Evade Bug, which means this is the one version of the game that plays as originally intended by the creators. Sound quality has dropped as it ran on a GBA. Some scenes lack background details that the other versions had, but it's hard to notice the difference. There are gameplay extras such as Optional bosses and dungeons, as well as new equipment, and the abilty to save after the game is beaten, taking you outside of the final dungeon, when you can finish the game as many times as you want, and keep all the rewards. The equipment draw of some characters has been altered to avoid easy exploits. There is a automatic dash option, so you can run without wasting a relic slot or holdin down cancel. There is an extra music players (unworthwhile).

My opinion is that the GBA is the superior version, as it plays better, is portable, has less bugs and has more content. The decrease in sound quality isn't as bothersome as it sounds. It is more challenging.

I have only played the GBA version, but from what I have heard about the others I would say it is the best. The Dragons Den and Soul Shrine (Extra Dungeons) Have caused me to spend 50 Hours and counting on the game having fun, leveling to 99, and stealing unlimited Ragnorak's / Ultimaweapons from the final boss because I have beaten him numerous times. My current challenge is to try and 1 round kill Kefka / the other final bosses. IMO just the extra espers and dungeons are enough to make the GBA version superior.

The Gba version has some perks, but its on the gba. If you don't have a Gba emulator, youll probably enjoy it more on the Snes. The psx version is nice because it also comes with FFV and cinematics.

Last edited:
SNES :x3: It's not on a teeny tiny portable device; it doesn't have CGI cutscenes that, while pleasant, are an irritating tease to the fact that they *could* remake the entire thing with such graphics; and C) I believe it's the original :neomon: (Honestly I've only played the SNES version so I can't comment on the gameplay or sound for the other two, but from having experienced multiple versions of FFIV I can tell you that the original SNES music is most likely better at the very least :ryan:) Anyway, welcome to the forums, and hope you have fun playing VI if you haven't already, it is one of the best games in the series :awesome:

I've played 'em all, and I personally prefer FF6 on the SNES. First off, it's the nostalgia factor. Secondly, no load times. Thirdly, no name-changes (such as SwordTech to Bushido). It is the original and it is the best.

Of course, I could be a bit nit-picky.

I'd say the SNES...........But I did play it on my PS2 with the PS1 version.

the SNES is the orignal and it did kick the whole thing off

However the PS1 version comes along with an intro FMV............

Also if you complete the game 100% you get an extra FMV (opera scene) It's not the full opera scene it's different parts of the game in FMV you can see it on youtube just type in "Final Fantasy VI opera FMV".

Welcome to the forums ;)

Snes, but the GBA fixed a lot of translation baddies and funnies, like when you first meet Sabin. :laughs

I really liked the GBA version. The Ps1 version has cutscenes I believe, but I still stick with the GBA. They did a good job with it

I really liked the GBA version. The Ps1 version has cutscenes I believe, but I still stick with the GBA. They did a good job with it
Had a few scenes in the menu, when I bought it, I thought it would have them in game. I was lied to. *sniff sniff*

The GBA version got the translations right and made it make sense in most parts, which is why I love it and think its the best. But the best would be the Snes, because you can feel all old and nostalgic with it. :x3:

The FF Anthology version of FFV and FFVI.

Although the SNES versions did have that retro feel.I was a big SNES fan.Thse were the golden days imo.

Had a few scenes in the menu, when I bought it, I thought it would have them in game. I was lied to. *sniff sniff*

The GBA version got the translations right and made it make sense in most parts, which is why I love it and think its the best. But the best would be the Snes, because you can feel all old and nostalgic with it. :x3:

Oh that was only in the menu? I thought they were in the game. :/
I never bothered with the Ps1 version...I was lied to too :sad2:

XD But yea GBA version is ace....and for some reason my GBA version of the game is missing :hmmm:

Oh that was only in the menu? I thought they were in the game. :/
I never bothered with the Ps1 version...I was lied to too :sad2:

XD But yea GBA version is ace....and for some reason my GBA version of the game is missing :hmmm:
Yup, only in the menu. I was so sad and disappointed, I almost cried. :(

Well, everyone was lied to. They kept say CGI cutscenes in the game, when you get a three minute intro CGI movie only in the menu...

Well the first version I played was the PS1 version, so that kind of set the bar. But because of modern 'technology' I was able to play the SNES, and GBA versions, and if I was judging purely on the 'old' school feeling I would of course have to go with the SNES version.

While the PS1 version did have those few cool FMV's, it was still basically the same game. And with the GBA version it was just re-hashed SNES version, no real changes whatsoever, at least I dont remember anything different. :hmmm:

There were new Espes, weapons, bosses and new dungeons to explore int he GBA version, plus graphic updates (slightly) and way better translations. :P

There were new Espes, weapons, bosses and new dungeons to explore int he GBA version, plus graphic updates (slightly) and way better translations. :P

Are you sure about graphic updates? The game doesn't run as smoothly as it did on the SNES. And the background in some parts, such as the background of Vector in the opening sequence, is missing.

Back