Was anyone disappointed with Seymour?

I actually thought he was alright. His voice was weird, yes...but I kinda like it in a way. It seems...almost gentle-like, which is weird, by the way. Anyway, as a villain, Seymour did a great job of freaking me out. Sure, he didn't really have that "evil" aura that Sephiroth did, but his "evil-enough" ways suited his character just fine. So I don't think I'm really disappointed with him at all.

I read someone's posts a few months back that Seymour had Piglet's voice...you know, voice done by the same person. Now that I recall, he does sound like Piglet. I wonder if it's really true...

looks like sumfing u say??? he is kool hes not gay, he wants to marry yuna, if only to defeat sin. i like the fact that he dead for most of the game which make him more creapy. but i dont like his stupid alien

They reason he wanted to marry yuna has nothing do with sin what so ever

Wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Your wrong.

Your wrong. [/Doctor Cox]

Of course it was. He was trying to replicate the whole Lady Yunalesca and Lord Zaon thing. Zaon became Yunalesca's Final Aeon and he therefore became Sin.

He wanted to emotionally blackmail Yuna into doing so. Being her husband would give him a bit more leverage.

Yea, I know he was trying to get her to be the summoner that summoned him as a faith to defeat Sin... but I'm not sure why he proposed. I guess you're right... that he thought it would somehow help guilt trip her into it. I honestly don't know. I thought it was one of the weaker plotlines in the game. It did force Tidus to show his feelings but that ended up being more of the primary reason for doing it than just secondary side-effect.

It was to guilt trip her into it.

The reason why the marriage occurred was because Yuna agreed to it because it would give Spira hope. A Maester and a summoner, the foundations for the first Calm.

With Yuna on board, Seymour would reveal his magnificent plan 'all in the aim of bringing the Calm and giving Spira hope' to Yuna and Yuna would be powerless to do anything but accept, as her pilgrimage began for her to help out the people of Spira

But what you said doesn't make any sense... I know why Yuna accepted but she obviously didn't follow Seymour. Even if she married him, if she knew his intentions, she'd never have let him go through with it. And the reason why the marriage occured is so she could get close enough to him to send him, because by that point she already knew she wasn't actually going to go through with it.

Perhaps it was the key variable that Seymour wasn't able to accurately predict?

He probably expected her to go along with everything and eventually force her into the situation (when he had the team as hostage). If he forcefully became her final Aeon, he probably knew she would go ahead and use the Final Aeon against Sin (not knowing what would happen to Seymour when this happens).

i would say that tidus is more of a revolutionary and that yevon and seymore represent a repressive regime.
but anyway the reason for seymore wanting to become sin was to kill everyone. but he wanted to kill everyone to end their suffering. which makes him almost good in a way. he was prepared to sacrifice the people of spira for what he belived was the greater good. or he could just be a murderer who kills for his own pleasure. which would make him evil again. or even a mixture of the two

lol Zidank, I gotta love how you look into the depth and symbolism of every game... and just manage to find shit that's not there at all. lol I mean that's not there on any level at all. lol But it is a very nice thought.

I would agree that Seymour, Yuna, and Tidus all share the common thread that they were overshadowed by their fathers but that does not mean they represent anything more than that. I honestly don't think that SE tried to imbed too much symbolism in their games. It's just not the crowd they're playing to. If they can make similiarites between various character and yet give them depth enough to show that they react and handle similar circumstances completely differently, that's good. But they're definitely not trying to pull any Shakespeare moves... cause no one wants that.

Aztec Triogal said:
I honestly don't think that SE tried to imbed too much symbolism in their games. It's just not the crowd they're playing to.

On the contrary, I think Square-Enix likes to make their games that way. I mean, just take Final Fantasy Tactics, for example. That thing's full of symbolism. I also think FFT does the whole "corrupted religious establishment" theme a little better than FF10, but that's not the point here.

As for Seymour, I liked him all right as a villain. The key words there are "all right." He's not my favorite, but he's not horrible. I didn't have a problem with his voice. If he had screamed and cackled he would have been some messed up Kefka-Ultimecia hybrid. He was more sinister because he didn't scream and cackle, I think. We didn't get many "kekeke's" out of Sephiroth, either. Seymour's a little off the beaten path for FF villains because he actually thought he was doing a good thing, I think. His back story was also depressing. (I mean, aw, little Seymour in Zanarkand. It made my heart hurt.)

Plus, that fight with him on Mt. Gagazet is not a joke. My team died more there than anywhere else in the game.

It is impossible to avoid writing about human existence. Whether subconsciously or not, these themes will shine through.

That's easily one of the most inarguable points I have ever read. You're 100% correct. In my mind, that is probably the most profound thing I've heard you say. I simply cannot disagree. I do, however, disagree that script writers are paid to include deep symbolism. I do believe that Square-Enix keeps a large number of extremely talented writers on hand... and that they do naturally write in depth and symbolism. However, I do not think they are paid to do it... or even encouraged to. It won't help sell the game. I just think that the writers are so talented that they do include those themes because it's their nature. I wrote in a FFX-2 topic about how Tidus's gift of freedom to Yuna somewhat resembles Promethius's gift of fire to mankind. The very same mythological fable could be seen in Final Fantasy XII and stealing power away from the Occuria to put the power in the hands of man. So I do think you're right in a sense. I do think there is natural symbolism that the writers include... but I don't think it's as intense or as intentional as you think it is. They might just include those themes accidentally because their creative base includes mythological fables, religious references, and the like.

Yea, I do realize I did kind of contradict myself. And in the same way I realize we're taking this topic completely off-topic, I just don't care. lol To be honest, the furthered discussion with you helped me admit some of the symbolism in the game. However, it's the thing about symbolism... you can never tell for sure what they meant to include and what they didn't mean to include. As you said though, it's probably all just due to their nature anyhow. And that's probably the line that took away my defenses as to the whole "how do you know if they included it or not" perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thot seymour was one of the best baddies in ff history (2nd only to kefka) i mean u really just wanna kill him.
sure sephiroth is more powerful but i dont think a powerful warrior type bad-guy would suit final X.

Lol Well you're definitely right aobut the recurring themes. And yea, I get the underlying text in a lot of them. You have to admit though that as obvious as some of them are, others are so subdued that it's questionable whether they exist at all. I dunno, it's fun to look at the unspoken meaning within them all but on forums like these it's almost impossible to discuss it. You're lucky if the vast majority of people understand the basics of the game. There are just so many levels. I think if people can understand the gist of what occurred during the course of the game and the basic connection between the characters, they're happy just to leave it at that.

Yeh he just wouldn't die lol. He was an ok bad guy but I don't feel he was evil enough... I dunno... he was cool but I felt Sephiroth was more evil and that made me really want to beat him. Seymour was just can inconveniance.

i toaltlly agree that sephiroth was a way more badass then seymour. I REALLY wanted to kill that bastard. (EXUSS ME FOR MY FRENCH LOL )

Back