What are you currently reading?

Currently: The Da Vinci Code (I picked it up at a thrift store for like 25 cents. :) )

Just Finished: Far From Nowhere (Honestly can't remember the author and it was sorta a bad book, not terribly written but the things that happened to the main character were terrible.)

Plan To Read: Harry Potter Series, yet again.

Dust of Dreams, by Steven Erikson. I'm more motivated to read at the moment (it took me about a month to read Toll the Hounds...) and I'm actually hoping I'll find time to have it finished by the end of next week, so I can FINALLY get started on the last novel and get some sort of sense of closure (and, no doubt, triumph, since this is the most convoluted series I've ever read...I've read most of the books twice and I'm still hazy on some details) from it...and find something else to read. Something easier. xD

In any case, I don't remember much about this novel, other than that Draconus comes back...:yay:

I'm actually rereading a book that I read when I was in 8th grade. lol! It's called Blue Fingers, A Ninja's Tale by Cheryl Aylward Whitesel. It's about a normal boy who seems to have a nervous problem (as in, he does things like picking at moss or pulling out flowers when he's nervous). He is a twin, which is considered unlucky, so they sent him to live as an apprentice dyer. Well, he gets in too much trouble and is sent back. Instead of going back to his parents, who are sure to be disappointed, he wanders up a mountain only to be caught by ninjas! ^_^ It sounds like a bad fanfiction or something, but it's actually a fantastic book--I'm just not very good at explaining it.

Finished The Vanished Man by Jeffery Deaver a couple of days ago (so I'm not technically currently reading it but never mind), then realised straight afterwards that he's the guy writing the next James Bond novel. I had some vouchers left over so I decided to pick it up from Waterstones. Being a fan of crime thrillers, murder stories and the general whodunnit kind of tales, I thought this would be right down my alley. It turns out it's a psychological thriller of a kind that totally left my mind overwhelmed by the end.

It's basically about a killer going around murdering people with techniques resembling classic illusionist tracks such as sawing someone in half, which is rather morbid. This killer is very adept at the sleight of hand and countless other Houdini tricks and the NYPD are pushed to the limit trying to apprehend this perp. The relationship between the two mains, Lincolm Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are interestingly conveyed without the need to have read the preceding novel first to get to know them well enough. What is perhaps one of the best things about this novel is the fact the sheer amount of twists and turns that the novel takes and you get this idea that this killer is almost unstoppable at times because of the amount of times he escapes or eludes them. To the reader, it's never a case of wondering when something will happen, but what will happen, because every twist and turn is largely unexpected.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis.

I enjoyed his son's work so I thought I'd try his. I also want something light and funnyish because I've got to do some much reading because of exams. It is funny and it is nice and straightforward and conventional, so it is easy to read. It's about university lecturer called Jim and his life at the uinversity. He's a normal, intelligent enough guy who despises the pretentiousness of the people around him, especially the head of the history department.

Pride & Prejudice By Jane Austen

I love the author and I love this book. I've read it twice now and it never gets old. It's a timeless romance with funny bits to make it all the more sweet. Every one pretty much knows what this book is about so I don't think I need to explain what it's about.

I'll finish with saying Elizabeth is pride and Mr. Darcy is Prejudice. I've argued this countless times. And they both kinda are a bit of both, but for the most part of the book it's how it came off to me. :wacky:

The last series I read and finished, was Land of the Painted Caves. (DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ)
I was like, oh yea, Arya gonna kill Brud and get her son back.

But it was....bah! It wasn't her writing! You could TOTALLY tell. I was hoping for a mushy-gushy-loving ending, but it was TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E-!

It seriously, was trash, against the first and second book. Arya's accent was mentioned everything page at least 10 times each, it was boring, the description was trash compared to her old work which was fabulous and the stupid, boring, extensively long Mother's Song. BARRRR! I AM DISAPPOINTED! HOW DARE SHE END THE SERIES LIKE THAT! BARR! Guess what? GUESS WHAT?! Arya told Jonadalar he could go around sleeping with other women (Taking pleasures, as the book describes), she did it with other people which is TOTALLY NOT ARYA! ...This was totally off character, as well as the last book before this. Something seriously snapped inside this woman's head and she changed it all. Its almost like she didn't write it. The writing was completely different!

The ending left me speechless. AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY! You want to know my reaction to the ending? My face looked like this!

tumblr_llm37903VY1qbvifm.gif

I will forever act as if this shameful book never happened. To me, only the first two exist. ONLY. Seriously, if you are a fan of the old books, DO NOT read this. I repeat, DO NOT read this.

The last series I read and completed though not finished, is A Song of Ice and Fire. I friggin' love these books. They are absolutely amazing. The characters are just great, they can make you love them and hate them, yet still love them. There is something always interesting and surprising happening. I will definitely re-read the series, absolutely darling.

I just read Water for Elephants. My reaction would have to be the Michael Scott reaction above ^

I'm reading the Bible; New International Version. I'm currently in the book of Deuteronomy. I also picked up a copy of the Qur'an which I'll mosey on over to next. XD

Also...I've lost my copy of Gormenghast and am very not-happy. :dry:

I'm almost done with Lolita and I'm starting Kafka on the Shore.

nomad Please expand on your post, as this is a post count section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently Finished: The Song of Albion trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. I borrowed the books from a friend who recommended them to me. The whole trilogy revolves around Celtic folklore, and it was a very interesting read. Lawhead's writing style is such that it just compels you to keep reading. I highly recommend it.

Currently reading: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. The previous trilogy I read got me in the mood for fantasy, so I decided to get a classic. I haven't actually read The Hobbit before this, but I'm enjoying it. I only have about a hundred pages left, but for some reason, I'm not in the mood for reading right now.

I have started reading a couple of things:

Clan of the Cave Bear -- I want to read her better stuff and remember why I loved her writing so much as well as her characters. Poor Ayla :cry:

Rowe's Phonemes Allophones phones Phonology -- It explains it like its as easy as breathing air. I love it. Its brilliant.

Orson Scott C's How to write science fiction and fantasy -- Just for the heck of it. I want to make a game, and this will help, I think.

An introduction to syntax -- I already know about Syntax and Grammar, but I might as well read it :)

Dragons of the Highlord Skies
-- Dunno yet, just started.

E. Knight: Dragon Outcast -- Dunno yet, just started.

AddleBoy:
Wow, I just picked up a Steven Lawhead book last night! :O

Nice to see your comment on his writing, I was afraid I might have wasted a book slot on him :P

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.

A spiritual sequel to The Alienist, I think these two books are two of the best representatives of psychological mystery.

Re-reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

I first had to read this as an AS-Level English Literature text and rigorously study it for coursework. I can't say it was the most enjoyable way to first get into the book, but I'm sort of glad I did study it, otherwise I probably would have had a difficult time getting past the first few pages. It starts off slow, but it really is worth soldiering on as the book gets a lot better if you persevere and get more familiar with the characters Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby. I really do like Fitzgerald's style in this book. Nick and Gatsby are two contrasts, the former taking a bit of a secondary role later on as Gatsby essentially molds his own tale,
hailing from a poor background who changed his name and attained a fortune through shady business deals while chasing illusionary goals that eventually leads to his own demise
. The ideas presented - the embedded criticisms of the Eastern Coast, of New York and the American Dream - are rather thought-provoking and I guess my renewed interest in this book stems from the fact that I've been studying a lot of American history and politics recently.

On another note, I've also been going through some of Fitzgerald's other short stories. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is one of them, and while I've probably inadvertently seen a film version of it sometime ago and studied it in the past as well, there's still enough in it to feel fresh and entertaining, even if it ends on a
miserable note in a way, as anticipated by the reader throughout

I finished reading Madeleine L'Engle's Many Waters a few months ago, sadly I haven't had time to read novels since. I found spare time today though because of class suspension due to the storm.

I'm currently reading Illusions, the third installment of the Wings series by Aprilynne Pike. I got the e-book last night and I've been reading it all day. So far, it's okay. The first two (which I read last year) lacked substance for me tbh, but I'm still very interested on the general plot. :hmmm:

I wondered if we had a thread like this!

I'm reading The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara. Basically I just saw the film and thought it was ace so I bought the book :ryan: it's really interesting.
I much prefer biographies and stuff to fiction :hmmm: I don't know why.

I'm still in the midst of Marvel's Secret Invasion and started to read the X-Factor SI. So far I really enjoy the artwork. It is pretty unique and makes me analyze and absorb the pages more than other comics.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I need to read this and complete a fairly large packet on it while I'm reading, going chapter by chapter. Very luckily for me, Hemingway writes in a style of short sentences that are easy to absorb as well as very short chapters. I have a thing about reading a single chapter at a time, answering any questions and making sure I understand what just happened so I'm very happy he broke it up as well as he did.

I need to have this and The Things a Brother Knows (and the questions pertaining) done by the end of August, so I'm desperately hoping can stay focused.

Finished reading the Hunger Games series...it was awesome. Dont know what to read next

Back