What are you currently reading?

I am reading(enjoying mostly) Jane Eyre.I've already finished it once in the summer.

I will start reading it again once I get it in english,since now I am reading the translated version of it(yeah,english isn't my first language).
It's already obvious that I like it so much.I always thought it'd be boring so I thought I would try reading it since this year it happened to cross my path another time.Seems I did well to try it.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

To quote my English Lit teacher, "You brave, brave child." :wacky:

I guess I just wanted a challenge. Most of the books I've recently read I seemed to fly through. Objectivism really interests me, I suppose that's why I picked this book up.

I haven't gotten very far yet actually. So far though, it's been interesting. I think I'll have to go out and get one of the books dedicated to her philosophy (such as Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology) since that's what I'm really interested in reading about.

CITIZEN GIRL :)

Mod Edit: Could you please expand on your post? One liners will not be tolerated and will be classified as spam next time, thus, leading to infractions. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, about 2/3rds along the way of Brent Weeks Book I of the Night Angel Triolgy: The Way of shadows. Quite the epic book imo. Mr. Weeks sure knows how to keep a reader in suspense owo. Pure genius, actually.

"Guardians of the West" by David Eddings, the first book in The Malloreon. I just finished re-reading The Belgariad series, and I've never read this series before. Its gotten a whole lot funnier - it reads more like the Elenium/Tamuli novels now. Silk continues to be an awesome character, as well ♥

I'm already over halfway through it...I spent about two hours reading it this morning. If I keep up this pace, I'll have finished the series by this time next week. xD

Currently reading the diary of "Mrs Stephen Fry" and once I finish that I'll be reading The Heroes of Olympus book I bought on Friday; the continuation / spinoff of the PErcy Jackson series.

Mrs Fry's book is really funny though, it's great to pick up every now and then and read a few pages without losing the plot. Since I've been so bogged down with work lately, I've had zero time to read, so this is a book that fits a purpose for now, and it's damn funny too.

Dreams by Leona Lewis. It's her autobiography that explains her life and everything that leads up to her second album, Echo. It's a pretty good read and I don't know why I didn't read it earlier since I got it as a present last Christmas.

Right now I'm reading Don Piper- 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death & Life. What an amazing book. I got through the first half of the book in about a day and I can't wait to get back to reading it so I can finish it. The book is about a pastor who goes on a car trip and gets into a devastating accident with a prison bus and is pronounced clinically dead by a EMT for 90 minutes and later a pulse is found and he is alive again. It talks about his brief visit to heaven and what it was like for him up there...and his long and painful recovery back here on Earth.

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

A lot of people at another forum I frequent were raving about Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, so I decided to give the first book a go. It didn't really blow me away at first. There's no real introduction to Erikson's very rich and complex fantasy world, so you have to figure it out as you go along. I'm currently 340 pages in though and it's getting harder and harder to put it down.

I am reading Chronicles Brothers series book 2. It is about wars up in heaven.It is a really good book.

An excerpt from Last Sacrifice, a book that's supposed to come out this upcoming Tuesday in the Vampire Academy series, and it is indeed the last book of the main series (DON'T fucking compare it to Twilight.). The first chapter is very intense from what I've read so far. I'm about halfway through reading it and I already want the book to come out in store shelves. Like, now. And to think it comes out this Tuesday. I remember way back when I thought December was too long of a wait (the last book came out in April.) .

I'm currently reading the latest book from the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead - Spirit Bound. Considering how the book before it ended, I was really expecting to see how the story continues to play out. The prospects of the Dimitri returning feels rather... Like a turn-off... In the sense that it seemed to me Mead simply wanted to create a sort of happy ending, and simply made it that Dimitri would return.

But still a welcome twist nevertheless. I haven't finished the book yet, but my cousin who did told me that there would be another continuation... As I still do not know how the story ends yet, I gladly welcome that idea, but oh well. I guess I'll have to wait it out before giving opinions.

What book are you currently reading?: "The Gunslinger" by Steven King. I've heard nothing but positive comments and reviews about this book so I decided to give it a look.

What's the last book you finished reading?: "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks. I'm not sure if it was the writing style or just the story in general, but I found this book very compelling, in a way I've never felt.

What books do you plan on reading?: I look forward to continuing Weeks' 'Night Angel' trilogy, the 'Dark Tower' series as well, if I come to like "The Gunslinger". I've also been meaning for some time to start on "Journey to the West".

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

I'm not enjoying this nearly as much as I enjoyed Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy, but it's still a thrilling read and a great story all in itself, even if it is lacking the epic feel of the trilogy that preceeded it. I did really enjoy some of the cameos made by characters from The First Law though. Cosca is a great character and Jezal dan Luthar's cameo in a whorehouse in Sepani was pretty funny. The only criticism I have really, is that it feels like a bit of a dive in form and ambition after The First Law.

As good as The Hobbit is for example, I doubt people would have felt the same way about it if it had come out AFTER Lord of the Rings.

Great choice on the Malazan series, Sir Kenneth, I'm a huge fan of it.

Currently Reading:
House of Leaves. The book in and of itself is a puzzle, a riddle you can solve as you go along. Good for people into creepy things and people that like a mental exercise.

Last Finished:
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. Tolkien can't touch this. It was my second read through, and high fantasy textbook quality writing will never compare to pulp sword and sorcery for me. For anyone that's never read an original Robert E. Howard Conan short story, you should. It will certainly change your perceptions of the character and give you a different perspective on how the original ideas have been treated over time (hint: very poorly by most other authors).

Planning on Reading:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (annotated edition)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Vol 1 and 2)
Tesla: Man out of Time
Empire of the Air

The Vampire Diaries: The Fury.

I thought The Awakening and The Struggle were decent, but I was always left waiting for more. So I started reading this today and I have to say that I'm really impressed so far, probably because
Elena is a vampire now and everything she knows is being threatened by an unknown force.

Makes me appreciate that the TV show is different and I'm having two different experiences. Think I'm more than halfway through and I found it hard to put down before. I sort of know what happens at the end because I've spoiled myself already, but I'll still press on. It's becoming my favourite book in the series so far.

The Hobbit

Although it's essentially a kids book, it is pretty fucking awesome. It's my first time reading it (first Tolkein book ever actually) and I'm pretty hooked on it. I figured I'd give it a read before the film comes out (whenever that is). I'm about three quarters through.

Back