Who is the most useful Playable Character?

Dang I never knew Tifa had low magic lol. I just threw Bahamut-Zero and Life-2 on her and called it a day. Well first off, my party was Cloud, Tifa, and Red XIII...idk this is a hard thread to post in lol. Red XIII was amazing early on the game right after you got his father's weapon, but then the other characters eventually catch up. Tifa's limit break is a lot of fun and it's pretty strong before you get Cloud's Omnislash (which i never did. only got to climhazaard and that wind gusty thing) I'll just say that TIfa got me out of a lot of tight situations with her Life-2...

Yeah, the status changes due to materia can confuse things and techincally can change a 'low magic' char to a 'main healer with high magic'

But if you look at one char and compare it to another with no materia, no weapon and no armor and get the raw stats, the you should see some difference. (the initial info is something that I found on GameFAQs)

Yeah, but with source morphing you can add to say a low magic stat to make it a high magic stat. So it really only comes down to who you like to use.

After all is said and done, I prefer the team of Cloud, Yuffie, and Barret. With source morphing, the only thing truly distinguishing about a character is limit breaks, and these three characters have the highest possible damage output via Omnislash, Doom of the Living, and Ungarmax/Angermax respectively. For the Disc 1 game though, I replace Barret with Aerith--Fury Brand is godly.

That is, of course, if you don't exploit glitches. Vincent is the ultimate damage dealer, one-shotting the WEAPONs easily with damage overflow while not being limited to mastered KoR's in his weapon like Barret.

Any character on high level and well equipped is of value. But quite simply Cloud is the best. He can deal massive physical damage and can hold a great deal of magic too on top of being able to tank a fair bit of damage, both physical and magical.

I always went with Cloud, Vincent and Red, but lately I've been switching out Red for Tifa. I've always liked Vincent, and I don't why the shift away from XIII to Tifa, it just works out that way.

You know, in the end it doesn't matter who your party is. Just pump up whatever character you like with the right materia, morph the right baddies to max their stats and then they're all equal anyway.
With the exception of limit breaks and specific weapons of course.

Even without the stat maxing stuff they're not really different enough to keep you from succeeding in the game.

Well, Aerith might be different enough, but seeing as she's not a permanent playable character it wouldn't make much of difference in the end.

Hmm.... If not Cloud, I'd have to go with Tifa. I never used Aeris much, and I didn't really care for the healing limit break, at the other hand, Tifa's limit breaker once you have them all does massive damage, which has been REALLY usefull for me. She's good with magic to so it seems, =/ So I think I'll go with her.

Yuffie's really good with morphing though. =/

The most useful playable character is Barret. He can hit flying monsters as well as the ones on the ground. He has a high base Hp all the time and his Catastrophe is the strongest limit break in the game.
HOWEVER, at disc one Aeris/Aerith, whatever you'd call her is probably the best character to have in your party, due to her Healing Wind. It saves MP and time to wait for each character to heal itself.
I still prefer Yuffie, though.

Last edited:
The most useful playable character is Barret. He can hit flying monsters as well as the ones on the ground. He has a high base Hp all the time and his Anger Max is the strongest limit break in the game.
HOWEVER, at disc one Aeris/Aerith, whatever you'd call her is probably the best character to have in your party, due to her Healing Wind. It saves MP and time to wait for each character to heal itself.
I still prefer Yuffie, though.

Can I ask why you prefer Yuffie? I never have her in my team, yet my mom ALWAYS has her in her team. I heard she's really good with Morphing, but that's about all I know.

Can I ask why you prefer Yuffie? I never have her in my team, yet my mom ALWAYS has her in her team. I heard she's really good with Morphing, but that's about all I know.

She just happens to be my favorite character ;P
She has the strongest physical attack of the three female characters and her All Creation is pretty neat in my opinion. Also I just love her background story and side quest.

Last edited:
Cid & Tifa its just there limits seem to be the best (muti hits).

the most useful character is cid highwind. he had lots of hp, attack power and defense. not to mention he has some great and powerful limit break early on. his limit break was the strongest and best in my opinion.
aeires would have to be second with her limit break and magic ability

Tifa Her Limit breaks Are the Best I suppose it depends on you to get the spins Right on tifa's And Cid's Are very usefull as well As Are Aerith's

I always found Cid to be pretty usefull, his attack's are powerful and would most of the time give the finishing blow. But for disc 1, AERIES! :p her final limit is just.............wow lol :P

cloud/tifa/barret/cid are most useful they all have multi hit limit breaks others only hit 1 time for 9999 instead of 3-4 9999 cloud being most powerful with 9999 lots

i have several favorite characters. vincent valentine, genesis, lightning, noctis, cloud, sepheroth, zack, and yuffie.

Its asking who you finf to be the most useful character in FFVII, not your favourite, also please elaborate and tell us why you think this, ta

Vincent b/c his limits saved me every time i used them but one and that was b/c the boss absorbed fire

I don't like Vincent, if you fight the boss Emerald Weapon and using Vincent's limit, it will be very hard if you can not control 1 of the party member. The most useful character must be Cloud, I think.

In my opinion it would have to be Cid (and Aerith for disc 1). Cid deals a lot of damage and has good HP, and Aerith's Limit Breaks are heaven-sent. Though Yuffie also has good agility and Limit Breaks.
Regardless of whose useful, I tend to use the characters whom I think have more relevance to the central story - Aerith, Tifa, and Barret. It just feels right that way. 83

Last edited:
Back