Why do humans eat meat?

^ Yes, i think ppl who push their agenda on anyone whether it'd be what they should eat, religion, or whatever.. are just silly. There are so many people in the world that have nothing to eat and are starving. So be thankful for whatever you have to eat in your household. :)

Also, i hear human meat is the sweetest meat out there. Not promoting cannabalism or anything. :trollface:

-Setz-

This is a never ending argument.
Killing is bad that is a fact.
Killing to stay alive is good.
This is a paradox.
People eat because they are the strongest alpha-males in the food chain.
We as people eat what ever we desire.
So arguing about this is more of a philosophical question.
There is no answer that will really satisfy a vegan or vegetarian.
So we will have to agree to disagree.
Those are my two cents :) .

'killing is bad' comes from ignorant people who live sheltered lives (I.E. most of us here), nestled safely in human habitats. We have ready access to food. Carnivores not living among humans have to hunt their food, and it's scarce enough that they almost never let the chance to kill pass. It's survival. Humans started out the same way, the only difference now is that we have complete control over our prey (livestock).

I don't know why, but that doesn't stop me from eating meat. It's not canibalism because we are eating other species. Yes, it's true that killing is wrong, but if we were to consider the circle of life "wrong", then maybe we should say that hurricanes and other natural disasters are wrong because they kill thousands of people. It's not a manner of how it's wrong, but why others consider it wrong. Meat is the energy that fuels us to be what we are, and that is human beings.

What can I say? I love the fuck out of meat, and I'm not going to give it up for any reason just because some ignorant people say it's "wrong". :lew:

A lot of vegetarians aren't opposed to the eating of meat in itself; they're opposed to the current practises used by the industry to get it. Using the argument that it's 'natural to eat meat' doesn't really hold up against that, though it is a perfectly valid argument for eating free-range meat like venison, pheasant, pigeon and rabbit, which have been caught in the wild.

The argument that it's natural because we need it to survive/be healthy also doesn't hold up when we have so many foods available to us. Once upon a time, people had to have all the protein and fat in meat because they were living in the wild, without heating, and had to hunt/forage. They had no idea when the next big meal would come along. Nowadays, we have 1000s of foods available to us, pretty much 24/7. We have heating, we don't have to hunt (most of us barely exercise enough!) In our society it is 100% possible to eat a balanced vegatarian diet. It's also possible to be vegan, though that does require one consuming a number of vitamins.

I do find the whole debate interesting. It's also true that free-range meat is stupidly expensive and the industry have made it difficult for the community to get out of the current system. Changing things would require a lot of people boycotting the system, which would mean tens of thousands giving up meat, which is certainly impossible for some (e.g. those who are susceptible to anaemia). Furthermore, there are certainly vegetarians who oppose eating meat entirely and vegetarians who enforce their opinion. I personally think it's important that people are tolerant of the decisions others make about their personal diet.

A lot of vegetarians aren't opposed to the eating of meat in itself; they're opposed to the current practises used by the industry to get it.
(...)
The argument that it's natural because we need it to survive/be healthy also doesn't hold up when we have so many foods available to us. (...)we have 1000s of foods available to us, pretty much 24/7. We have heating, we don't have to hunt (most of us barely exercise enough!) In our society it is 100% possible to eat a balanced vegatarian diet. It's also possible to be vegan, though that does require one consuming a number of vitamins.
(...)
I personally think it's important that people are tolerant of the decisions others make about their personal diet.
It isn't natural just because we have the luxury of deciding if we want to eat meat now, it's natural because we're biologically capable of consuming it in the first place. This isn't about the meat industry, it's about us and whether it's morally right or wrong for us to consume meat products. Yes it's possible to eat 100% vegetarian, but veggie-only people can just tolerate those who eat meat, as you said. Speaking of that, everything we consume was alive at some point. Yes, plants too. Poison Ivy and Cacti didn't evolve their defense mechanisms for nothing. The argument that we shouldn't kill animals for food is hypocritical, because we have to kill something to eat no matter what kingdom of life we target. Animals have brains, so what? Plants don't want to be eaten either...bar a few species who fertilize their seeds in dung, and those aren't digestible by humans.

How much meat we eat is another matter, but this debate is over whether we should be eating meat at all, to which there are a ton of people who say 'yes'. This is really a first world issue - people in less fortunate countries take what they can get, meat or not, and they aren't wrong for it.

A lot of vegetarians aren't opposed to the eating of meat in itself; they're opposed to the current practises used by the industry to get it. Using the argument that it's 'natural to eat meat' doesn't really hold up against that, though it is a perfectly valid argument for eating free-range meat like venison, pheasant, pigeon and rabbit, which have been caught in the wild.

The argument that it's natural because we need it to survive/be healthy also doesn't hold up when we have so many foods available to us. Once upon a time, people had to have all the protein and fat in meat because they were living in the wild, without heating, and had to hunt/forage. They had no idea when the next big meal would come along. Nowadays, we have 1000s of foods available to us, pretty much 24/7. We have heating, we don't have to hunt (most of us barely exercise enough!) In our society it is 100% possible to eat a balanced vegatarian diet. It's also possible to be vegan, though that does require one consuming a number of vitamins.

I do find the whole debate interesting. It's also true that free-range meat is stupidly expensive and the industry have made it difficult for the community to get out of the current system. Changing things would require a lot of people boycotting the system, which would mean tens of thousands giving up meat, which is certainly impossible for some (e.g. those who are susceptible to anaemia). Furthermore, there are certainly vegetarians who oppose eating meat entirely and vegetarians who enforce their opinion. I personally think it's important that people are tolerant of the decisions others make about their personal diet.

I am sorry but the argument that it is natural does hold up. Not everyone has the luxury of heating. The homeless certainly do not, also if your out in the woods say for survival you will be prone to the elements. So because we have homes does not mean we should not eat meat.

Also as many others have pointed out we have canines for teeth, they are meant for shredding, tearing, ripping, apart food mainly meat. Now going on some note even though I forget the comedian's name, another reason we are meant and perfectly aloud to eat meat. Eggplant taste like eggplant. Lettuce taste like lettuce. Meat taste like murder, and murder tastes FUCKING GREAT!

I am sorry but the argument that it is natural does hold up. Not everyone has the luxury of heating. The homeless certainly do not, also if your out in the woods say for survival you will be prone to the elements. So because we have homes does not mean we should not eat meat.

Also as many others have pointed out we have canines for teeth, they are meant for shredding, tearing, ripping, apart food mainly meat. Now going on some note even though I forget the comedian's name, another reason we are meant and perfectly aloud to eat meat. Eggplant taste like eggplant. Lettuce taste like lettuce. Meat taste like murder, and murder tastes FUCKING GREAT!
I wasn't entirely clear. :ness: I meant 'eating meat is natural' doesn't really extend to it being natural to eat the amount of meat we do as a society, meat which has been produced by the industry in an unnatural way. Of course, those who can't afford a lot of food need it because it lingers for longer in the stomach. However, those who can afford balance in their diet, heating etc don't need it for energy. :hmm: Eating meat may be natural, but it's not necessary (or healthy) to eat as much if people can afford to vary their diet a little.

Which reminds me - meat lingers for a little too long in the stomach, which is a counter argument against canine teeth making it natural. Apparently we don't have the enzymes to break it down effeciently. :hmmm: Do feel free to double check that, though. ;)

Either way, I know that a little meat occasionally is part of the optimum balanced diet, but we do eat more than is natural. Our bodies probably need two portions of red meat a week and some will have two portions a day. This has led to a rather...nasty meat industry, a lot of unhealthy people (who forget to eat enough veg) and a lack of creativity when cooking veg. Meat is seen as the meal by a lot of people; but, oh my, veg can be absolutely gorgeous if cooked and seasoned well. :cali:

The question I have been discussing, I guess, is 'why do we eat as much meat as we do?' ;)

How much meat we eat is another matter, but this debate is over whether we should be eating meat at all, to which there are a ton of people who say 'yes'. This is really a first world issue - people in less fortunate countries take what they can get, meat or not, and they aren't wrong for it.
I haven't seen anyone in this thread or anywhere else for that matter advocating that Africans and australians should starve rather than eat meat. I agree that it's a First World issue, we have the advantage of being able to chose not to eat something for ethical or moral reasons as well as simply because we don't like the taste of something. I don't think bring up starving people in Africa or our ancient ancestors is particularly relevant.

mhm aha, homeless people don't hunt their food, they beg for money which they then spend on super strength beer, if they have some left over they could buy what they like. Also I think a lot of homeless people are fed by charities who are into helping homeless hobos. As I've never been homeless I cannot say this with any degree of certainty but I think if you were a vegetarian they would be able to accomodate you.
I believe you were confusing the idea that we don't have to eat meat with the more fascistic idea that we should not eat meat.

I do have slight moral problems with my own consumption of meat, I do find it selfish that Pigs should die so that I can have bacon with my eggs. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that something should die so that I can eat. I do eat meat, but I do think it's healthy to think about issues like this, without too much navel-gazing I hope. I think it's certainly a better attitude than 'MURDER TASTES GREAT'. I do always buy ethically produced meat and eggs etc. I think the way animals are treated otherwise is disgusting.

because it's tasty

there are so many things in this world that you can do absolutely nothing about. if you can't rule a group of people, you cannot rule the world. you cannot force and persuade everyone into your way of thinking.

It's nice to think that an animal just plain got it's head chopped off before it was put in a styrofoam tray and wrapped up in plastic or put into a tube, but it's really the last thing I'd think about while I'm eating a taco or hot dog.

But I really don't care. No one is going to judge me, no fucking ancient like something from a shounen anime is going to be awakened and try to kill us all because livestock taste good.

It's delicious. Enough said. I'm taking an AGR about food modification (though I was already interested about this stuff and new about it beforehand). I don't like the idea of GMOs, but they have their pros as well as cons. I see nothing wrong with eating meat, since I base everything on my religion because it influences who I am. My religion said there's nothing wrong with eating meat, I think it's tasty, so I'm going to eat it. However, I believe that people shouldn't torture livestock (as seen in some videos), but I think it's a bit over dramatized. Torturing livestock to the point of death would be a huge waste of money and livestock, and a company can't afford that. In all reality, I'm sure they mostly aren't in bad living conditions, but that can't be said for everywhere.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, especially about GMOs and Animal Cruelty. Lawl.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread or anywhere else for that matter advocating that Africans and australians should starve rather than eat meat. (...) I don't think bring up starving people in Africa or our ancient ancestors is particularly relevant.
It would be fabulous if you could bring up those exact quotes where I mention starving people in Africa or our starving ancestors, and explain why you think my quoted statements are irrelevant.

or...perhaps you mistake me for someone else.

It would be fabulous if you could bring up those exact quotes where I mention starving people in Africa or our starving ancestors, and explain why you think my quoted statements are irrelevant.

or...perhaps you mistake me for someone else.
This is really a first world issue - people in less fortunate countries take what they can get, meat or not, and they aren't wrong for it.
That seems to imply Africa, and whilst it may include more regions than Africa, Africa surely must be one less fortunate areas. I did not say that you personally mentioned our ancenstors, other people have and I was responding to them. I believe it's irrelevant because they are left with almost no choice but to eat meat, the same does not apply to you or I. We have the choice whether we eat meat or not, that choice is not influenced by either of those two things.

That seems to imply Africa, and whilst it may include more regions than Africa, Africa surely must be one less fortunate areas. I did not say that you personally mentioned our ancenstors, other people have and I was responding to them. I believe it's irrelevant because they are left with almost no choice but to eat meat, the same does not apply to you or I.
Parts of Africa are in pretty dire straits, but there are some areas that are fairly well off I believe. I don't mean just third world nations though, as developing nations also don't have a super-abundance of food to choose from, ditto with rural towns. The quote was part of my response to another post that I interpreted as assuming everyone has a choice of what to eat.

We have the choice whether we eat meat or not, that choice is not influenced by either of those two things.
True, but that also doesn't have bearing on whether it's right or wrong to eat meat at all.

Out of interest, what do you think would happen if we all stopped eating meat? Or ate meat that was synthetically made? What would happen to all of the livestock? It would be slaughtered and then left to go extinct most likely. We have gotten to a stage where we have domesticated certain animals to the extent that they can only survive as a food source.

If we take factory farming out of it, is it not better that an animal lives into adult life, has children and is then humanely killed to provide for us(or whatever the animal version is)? Cows and chickens can't be released into the wild and that's our fault, so what do you propose we do if we don't eat them?

If you think eating meat is wrong, don't eat it.

If you think eating meat is okay, eat it.

Can we all just get along, now? It doesn't matter why humans eat meat. Meat provides us with essential proteins and fats that most other foods don't (though, you can replace meat if you're careful) and meat fills the stomach and helps with muscle development. The reason "why" people it meat is because it's a beneficial practice. Sure, you can survive without meat, but it's a lot harder to get everything your body needs. You can survive without vegetables, but, again, it's a lot harder to get what your body needs if you don't eat them.

If you believe eating meat is morally wrong, fine. You can survive without it. But don't go on some crusade against meat-eaters. I believe there is nothing wrong with eating meat; therefore, eating meat is morally acceptable for me. For you it may be otherwise, and so you need to refrain from eating it. Everyone is different, with different beliefs, vices, sins, and triumphs.

Humans eat meat cause it helps our immune system and also feeds our muscles... if you look at a vegetarian they are very skinny and have lots of health problems... this is because of the lack of meat in their diet

Humans eat meat cause it helps our immune system and also feeds our muscles... if you look at a vegetarian they are very skinny and have lots of health problems... this is because of the lack of meat in their diet

Oh dear

There are plenty of fat vegetarians, there is a veggie society in uni. At fairs day it looked like elephants at the watering hole. Elephants with terrible dress sense. Muscles need proteins, proteins are available in many foods as well as supplements. It sounds like you read, or maybe heard some popular opinions on vegetarianism and left it at that. There are plenty of health risks associated with red meat too, it's not ambrosia

Back