Your top 6 favourite FF games!

1. Final Fantasy XIII
2.Dissidia 012
3.Final Fantasy X
4.Final Fantasy X-2
5 to 10 no more :l

Rather than simply listing, can we at least try and qualify our posts a bit more with some brief reasons at least please, people? =]

#6: Final Fantasy I
I actually never beat this game until it was ported to the PS1. So when I finally sat down and played it, I realized why this game saved Squaresoft. Though it was really short and the story wasn't as detailed as FF games today, it was fun and an overall decent game.

#5: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
When I first saw the trailers for this game and saw the game play, I was pretty skeptical. But when I played it I was actually very impressed. This was the only good thing to come out of the VII Compilation Collection aside from VII itself. Playing Crisis Core made me realize how Zack is far better hero than Cloud.

#4: Final Fantasy IV
This was the first Final Fantasy I beat when it was FFII on the SNES. I liked the story and the characters. Especially Golbez. I thought he was a pretty good villain. I also like how characters where specific classes and gained spells or skills based on their increasing levels.

#3: Final Fantasy IX
This game is abnormally high on my list. The story isn't too riveting and is pretty basic. But what grabs me about this game is its design. The dungeons, the over world, everything looks great and is one of the best designed games in FF. Especially the towns. The towns in this game are epic. And Overall, IX feels fun to play.

#2: Final Fantasy VII
VII was my Number One for a long time. It was the first game I beat on the PS1. It was groundbreaking for its time and was the FF game that really got me into Final Fantasy. I have a lot of childhood memories of joy that are linked to this game. Many a nights my friends and I would stay up for hours talking about this game.

#1: Final Fantasy VI
I never touched this game till only a couple of years ago. Everyone said how great it was but I avoided for some unknown reason. Then I sat down and actually played it and I was blown away. The opening scene still till this day, makes me pumped to play VI. It's fun, addicting, and has the best villain in an FF game, Kefka. To me, Kefka is what makes this game the best FF game. He has no special abilities or powers(until the end). He just manipulates and corrupts his way to the top. He is an actual evil person. Kefka along with VI's tie with multiple characters, well written story, and great musical score lands this as my number one FF game.

God damn it, this could be difficult...

1) Final Fantasy VII
2) Final Fantasy X
3) Final Fantasy VIII
4) Final Fantasy V
5) Final Fantasy IV
6) Final Fantasy IX

Actually, I'm fairly certain about the top 3, but the rest is very hard.

Final Fantasy VII will always be my favourite. It's sad that the game is the subject of such intense scrutiny that it is naturally a bit overrated, perhaps to the point that it is in fact, underrated. Either way, it's the best one. The total package - gameplay, plot, characters, music, setting.

I used to have trouble deciding between VIII and X, but all the sheer volume of the additional content means it has a lot more replay value, and I can enjoy a replay of FFX a lot more than VIII. FFVIII is a fair ways ahead of the next game, because I really enjoyed everything about it, whereas the rest of them from here on are a little weak in some areas where VII, X and VIII are stong right across the board.

I can never decide between IV and V; one has epic gameplay, other has epic story, so it is so hard to compare them. I went with V because it was a little harder, and offered more in the way of gameplay options. FFIV is still great though, probably my favourite plot in the series aside from FFVII.

A lot of people really like FFIX, and I can see why, but it I have the same issue with it as I do with FFIV. The gameplay is a little narrow and restricting. After playing V, VI, VII and VIII, having little customization over your characters' skills is a little annoying. It makes up for it though with awesome moment after awesome moment.

It was hard to leave out FFVI, but I've always found it a little bit of a chore to play. I was never a fan of the massive party either. It was not hard however to leave out FFXIII, which was an enjoyable game, but was completely devoid of the Final Fantasy spirit which even FFX-2 had.

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy X - At first, I was kind of disappointed that it was mostly linear, but after a couple hours, I really enjoyed it. Still one of my favorite stories, and soundtrack

Final Fantasy VII - My second FF, one that I really love. Right when I saw the intro to the game, I knew I'd love it.

Final Fantasy IV - My first ever FF. I remember watching my oldest brother play it, and it looked boring. But after he stopped playing, I gave it a try, and was absolutely amazed.

Final Fantasy V - I know not much people think of this as a top 6 FF, but I really enjoyed every moment of it. I loved changing jobs, and learning new moves for every character. And of course, it has one of the most epic battle themes ever

Final Fantasy VI - This game took me forever to beat! It had a bunch of playable characters, and some of the best music from the SNES era.

Final Fantasy IX - I was not disappointed when I bought this game. It had amazing graphics for a PS1 game, and one of Uematsu's greatest scores

Mine are:

VII
XIII
XII
IX
II
VIII

I'm only counting the main games.

@Tyrant

Mod Edit: As I already stated, rather than simply listing the games, try and put a little bit more effort into this post, please. Reasons are a good place to start, so briefly and concisely explaining why you love these games would be good. =]

Last edited by a moderator:
1). Final Fantasy VIII - The soundtrack was amazing, the characters were just.... Normal i guess, Junctioning was superb!! And last but not least the story was just immense.

2). Final Fantasy VI - Awesome characters, Dancing mad rules, awesome story, i like the fact that most of the characters have a backstory and side-quests related to them. Good gameplay and last but not least Kefka (nuff said)

3). Ummm i'd probably say Final Fantasy V - It had Boko in, Gilgamesh, Gogo battle was actually extremely smart for a final fantasy battle. Job system was fun i guess and that's it really.

4). Final Fantasy X - Probably just because the amount of side-quests/missions etc. that there is to do: Getting all the hidden aeons, Getting ultimate weapons, Monster Arena. Which by itself is probably longer then an ff game. It had probably the best ff gameplay ever and it has Jecht so....

5). Final Fantasy IX - Although it started out abit goofy the ending can become emotional, the characters were good (Vivi and Freya) story became better around Disk 3 and i enjoyed Chocobo Hot N Cold.

6). Last but not least Final Fantasy XII (Don't hate me...) I enjoyed an actually different battle system. Voice acting was good expecially for a certain person (Gabranth) liked the story, liked Gabranth and it had Gilgamesh in with voice acting with a remake of Battle at the big bridge. The only downside was when i first went to kill Yiazmet thinking it wouldn't be too difficult....

Also i agree with Tom Badguy: Kefka was the best villain EVER!!! ever since his first appearance i was like he's just awesome then throughout the game when he poisons doma and doesn't give a crap, destroys the world kills the emperor almost destroys the world a second time and lets face it he becomes a god thats a lot more then sephiroth could do. Oh yeah he's also super insane which just made the game super awesome, now he's on dissidia he has a voice actor it's just.... you can't describe it there needs to be a better word then awesome or immense ( I know just about everyone of his quotes and his cutscene with Terra before the battle i know every word)

I think that I've really only played 6 FF games :olivia:

Okay so I've played 7, DoC, 8, 10, 10-2, and 12.

So... I guess those are my favs! Well, I might as well say what I like about them, and put them in order I guess :ryan:

1. FF7 DUH! Best story ever made? Love that materia system, and each character I loved with a passion. Not one did I not feel real connected to. (Well, not so much Barrett, but I still liked him) And awesome music.

2. Dirge of Cerberus. I'm probably one of the only people in the world who actually likes the game a lot, let alone putting it #2 on the list. But Vincent is my favorite character, I loved shooting things, and the story was so sad :sad2:! Loved the music also, and loved the ending with Gackt :fan: The game was waaaaaay too short.

3. FF8. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the story or the junction system. I never really figured out junctions, and I really didn't like Ultimicea very much. But, it had awesome characters, I liked them more than FF7s somehow. Also, it ties with 7 for amazing music :P

4. FF10. This game was always my favorite, but that's recently changed. Good music, I felt the characters had depth, and Yuna and Tidus' love story was a good one.

5. FF12. What can I say, I did love this game. IMO the story wasn't the best, and the characters needed more depth, but the music was good, battle system great, and I actually did like Vaan. :P

6. FF 10-2. My least fav game, but it's gotta be on the list since it's the only other I've played! It had a decent battle system, and I liked the good ending. Happy at last :ryan:

I didn't know if FF12 Revenant Wings counted. But if it does, than I guess I played 7! :awesome:

Last edited:
1. FF8. This may bit a strange because I've... heard that alot of people don't like FF8 because of the strange battle system and they don't like Squall or Rinoa. But there's something special about FF8 that just makes it amazing. Maybe because the characters are so easily to relate too, and there's tons of different ways you can play the game, including a high character level game. The only thing that stinks about FF8 is that you can't buy weapons and you have to make them. :jtc:

2. FF9. FF9 is beautiful and it's a tragedy that it's so under appreciated , because of how the character artwork is designed. FF9 is a game that is darker and gloomier that it seems. It has wonderful music, the characters have wonderful personalities. It just feels like a good Final Fantasy game.

3 FF6. FF6 is good because of it's powerful and deadly villian Kefka. It's also good because of the huge character choice, and most of those characters don't disappoint. It's also has a huge amount of freedom to explore and make your own choices, and it's heavily unpredictable.
:grin:

4. FF10. This Final Fantasy is lovely because it has a tragic romance and a deeply passionate story that is bound to make you cry into tears. I like FF10's battle system the best out of the whole FF series, so that's probably why it's a favourite and a success in my heart.
:ness:

5. FF7. Most fans say that FF7 is the best, I don't think that it's the best Final Fantasy, but I do think that the game is fun, wonderful and exciting. Though the storyline is a little confusing and still don't completely understand everything. Plus I'm kind of disappointed with the characters expect Aeris and Tifa. Not big on Sephiroth, Cloud, Zack, or Vincent.

6. FF4. This game would be higher though it has it's flaws. It's a strong and decent game and really felt sorry for Cecil and his regret, and Kain's too. And Rydia is a epic heroine.
:griin:

Hmmm I've only played 6 FF games I have realised haha so I'll post them here from most liked to least liked:

1. FFIX: Because it is all-round amazing. Great cast of characters, beautiful story, adorable love story entwined into it, graphics were great for its time an the music and game play were really good. Just a really complete and amazing game :)

2. FFX: FFX is probably my second favourite game because I love the battle system and the story. The characters could have been a little better, I didn't find myself caring about anyone in particular but everything else about it was really great! Also Blitzball minigame ftw!

3. FFVII: Graphics were pretty ugly, I think even for their time they were pretty terrible but the story and characters were cool! I didn't really care about the music too much but the battle system and mini games and finding materia was cool.

4. FFXII: A lot of people hate this game but I actually found it to be rather fun. I liked the gambit system, it made the battling really fun. The graphics were lovely besides character faces which looked a little strange at times. Story and the characters themselves were bland however.

5. X-2: Really, really fun battle system, really nice graphics...terrible story and totally ruined the ending to X. I kind of wish this game was never made but I'd did bring the dress sphere thing which was really good.

6. FFXIII: BLEH I hate this game, I hate everything about it, I hate the characters, the battle system the corridor maps the story the music EVERYTHING (except the graphics) I just put it here because I needed to fill up slot 6 with something ahaha.

1. FFIX My favourite game of all time, it succeeded in every area for me, including characters, setting, music, sotryline, and had a fun but not overly complex battle system. This game defines fantasy RPGs for me, and the storyline is actually a lot deeper than most people give it credit for when playing it the first time, mixing light hearted moments with contemplation of death, fate and loss. Also, for it's time, it was visually stunning, and that helped immerse me in the world. Even to this day, despite how much I've overplayed this game, I still doesn't get old for me, and I learn something new about it every time I sit down to play.

2. FFIV In my opinion, IV is the best game from the Nintendo era of FF. It rivals FFVI for having the best story of the so called legacy games, and in my opinion has a more interesting cast. It's also the most challenging of the Super Nintendo FFs, and I had the PS1 port of the Japanese Hard-type version, which is one of the hardest RPGs I've ever played, and I really enjoyed the challenge, especially since VII, VIII and IX that were popular at the time were so easy in comparison.

3. FFV This game is among my favourites based on nostalgia value. The plot is a lot more simple than any other FF game, outside NES era at least, yet I found myself utterly engrossed at the same time. I feel the game is able to blend comic relief and seriousness a lot better than any of it's predecessors, and many of it's successors, to which it is somewhat like IX in that regard. I loved the whole alternate world setting as well, and everything just felt like it was on a massively epic scale by the end. It probably has the best job system in any FF, and whilst it isn't really that hard, some of the optional bosses are fun extras to people who want a little bit more challenge.

4. FFCC I put crystal chronicles here because whilst it doesn't succeed in being the best designed game in terms of story or gameplay diversity, it is amazingly good fun when playing with friends, in the same vein as Four Swords Adventures for those who've played that. It isn't particularly difficult, though the later dungeons do require some degree of cooperation, but it is immersive, the art style they chose with this game works really well, and it looks very appealing, though I suppose it won't be to everyone's liking.

5. FF1 I don't know what it is about this game. It has the most simple storyline imaginable, the simplest battle and class system ever, and the characters are completely down to your own design. Maybe it's the simplicity of this game that appeals to me, maybe it's that I recognize this game is the source or even framework of the rest of the series. Regardless, I always look back on this game very fondly, and I did have a lot of fun plying it.

6. FFVII It feels wrong to put this game among my favourites, since I believe this is one of the most overrated game of all time. Having said that, it is still very very good, it just isn't the best RPG of all time like some people would have you believe. It was, however, in the right place at the right time, being the first Playstation and 32-bit installment of the most popular RPG series, and introducing so many new innovations to the series, it isn't hard to understand why this caught on so well. It does have it's faults, it is too much of a dramafest at times, and I am slightly sceptical of more futuristic sci-fi RPGs, but you do have to admire the work put into this game. The storyline of the original game, disregarding the spin offs, is intruiging, and the side quests are really well thought out, and give you a ton of things to do outside the main story. Critical as I am of this game's reputation, it is still very good.

6.FFX
5.FFVII
4.FFV even though I don't currently own it.
3.FFIX
2.FFIV. (not DS version)
1.FFVI.

1. Final Fantasy X-2
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3.Final Fantasy Tactics
4.Final Fantasy VII
5.Final Fantasy X
6.Final Fantasy VIII

1. Final Fantasy X - For its story, the character, and the gameplay. I loved the relationship between Yuna and Tidus, and the sense of solidarity between the Guardians. The sphere grid and turn-based battles were great too, as they allowed planning and strategy. I also adore the world design!

2. Final Fantasy VIII - I loved the focus on Squall and Rinoa, and the flashbacks in which we learnt about Laguna. The characters were a good bunch and contrasted one another well. The battle system wasn't bad either; reasonably paced and simple.

3. Final Fantasy IX - The setting for this game was incredible - almost medieval. Steiner is one of the best characters in the series and provides some great comedy'; I'm also a fan of the independent Garnet, the lighthearted Zidane, and Vivi with his philosophical outlook. The battle system was a bit slow. :(

4. Final Fantasy VII - I haven't played enough of this yet, which is why it's so far down the list, but the story so far has been great. The characters are all well devised too.

... I don't really want to put X-2, XII or XIII on the list. :( I haven't played enough of IV or VI to put them down, either, so I'll have to go with...

5. Final Fantasy II
I played this on the GBA, so enjoyed the use of sprites and the simplicity! The plot was fairly good too; some of the extras had nice back stories and were slotted into the story effectively.

6. I am undecided!

Back