Aerith or Aeris

Kobrɑ Kid;964708 said:
No. For example, in Bleach, a Japanese Manga, there is a woman called "Rukia" her name is Japanese way of trying to say "Lucia", but they still call her Rukia anyway in both Japanese and English. Even if it should be Lucia in English they call her Rukia the Japanese pronunciation, same thing applies to Aerith.

Her name...changing...made her more annoying? >.> I am an older fan I played FFVII when it was new, yet I still prefer Aerith, because that makes more sense and its what they call her now.

It's a little different because in japan her name is Earisu, which is Earth. It isn't the japanese way of saying Aerith.

But yeah, I never really liked any of the characters from FFVII in KH or CC. They felt a little foreign. I don't know maybe it was just me, but when I played FFVII I didn't get as much of an impression that Cloud was emo. So it isn't that Aerith was annoying because of her name change, something at Square just happened that made her different. I like to think that the writers of seven were all killed in a mysterious accident, or in horrible horrible ways.

She's ALWAYS been Aeris to me. Her name had only been changed to Aerith when Kingdom Hearts I was created. I get easily annoyed when I hear people "correct" me with both her name and Squall's name. :c

I got used to calling her Aerith after being told that Aeris was a translation error and that the correct translation was Aerith. So I call her Aerith from force of habit.

I prefer to type and say Aeris. Aeris sounds better to me. Aeris, the way it's spelled, looks better to me.

The first (and only) time I've played VII, I've known her as Aeris until folks on here pointed out it's Aerith. But to me, Aerith looks and sounds... inferior.

I'm sticking with Aeris.

She's ALWAYS been Aeris to me. Her name had only been changed to Aerith when Kingdom Hearts I was created. I get easily annoyed when I hear people "correct" me with both her name and Squall's name. :c

Her name wasn't changed because of KH, her name was Aerith in the original game FFVII. It was a translation error, that's why a lot of people will correct you, because technically Aerith is correct, being the original name, Aeris being an accident.

I have no idea why they changed Squall's name in KH though, that's always confused me :huh:

Xx..xX

I've probably already posted in here, but 'Aerith.' I prefer the pronunciation over 'Aeris', and it's the correct name. I don't think 'Aerith' sounds like someone with a lisp at all. People with lisps must be saying it, or else people would be complaining about any word that ends with 'th' (e.g; earth, wreath, Keith, teeth).

She'll always be Aeris to me. Aerith seems so weird and alien to me after reading and saying her name the other way for more than a decade. Dx

I call her Aeris, though both come to mind when I think of her character. I like both. I just find Aeris easier to say.

I prefer the spelling of Aerith... It seems more fantasy-based somehow, and looks more elegant.

I call her Aerith now just because I've gotten used to it. When I first played VII I pronounced Aeris "Air-Eez" weirdly. I've always pronounced things stupidly, like when I first read Harry Potter I pronounced Hermione "Her-me-own" ¬_¬

I call her Aerith now just because I've gotten used to it. When I first played VII I pronounced Aeris "Air-Eez" weirdly. I've always pronounced things stupidly, like when I first read Harry Potter I pronounced Hermione "Her-me-own" ¬_¬

I pronounced her name like this too the first time I played it. It's probably because of the star sign being pronounced that way.

Xx..xX

I was reading about this a few days ago. :ohshit:

Her name in the original japanese version is: Earisu.

Come up with a stylish way to convert that name to english and you have a winner. :grin:

Come up with a stylish way to convert that name to english and you have a winner. :grin:

Ah but she was named Aerith from the begining. The Katakana translation was 'Earisu', but her actual name was Aerith. Same with Sephiroth, his name also ends in a 'su' because that's how the translation of 'th' works in Katakana.

Xx..xX

Do you say Sephiroth like "Sephiros"? :wacky:

Ah but she was named Aerith from the begining. The Katakana translation was 'Earisu', but her actual name was Aerith. Same with Sephiroth, his name also ends in a 'su' because that's how the translation of 'th' works in Katakana.

Xx..xX

This^

As my friend elegantly said it the other day "Japanese.. they don't have a thuh"

I always sorta conformed.. when originally it was Aeris, I said Aeris. A couple years later when it was more prominant to call her Aerith because of the translational errors, I went with that. Now I look at it, I look as Aerith as a proper name, and Aeris as an astrological sign. Like someone above said, Aerith is more mythical fantasy name.. fit for a heroine/princess. <3

This thread is crazy long - so the name difference is a translation error? I had a hell of a time explaining to my sister that they were the same person when Crisis Core came out. Ha!

Back