Aerith or Aeris

Earisu is the original name and the one I know, but you hear the game developers talk about 'Aerith' as you would say in english, but they put it as Earisu because thats how it would be pronounced by the japanese players. Does that make sense? Thats how I think it went anyway, its been a long time since Ive heard it though.

Regardless, 'that annoying chick' when referring to her will suffice for me :p
hahaha yeah she was annoying. And such a tease too. lol But either way I guess everyone just goes with what they're used too. It doesn't really matter to me either I suppose.

hahaha yeah she was annoying. And such a tease too. lol But either way I guess everyone just goes with what they're used too. It doesn't really matter to me either I suppose.

True. I dont think it matters if everyone understands who you are talking about.

Absolutely. Some fans take it too seriously though. I've been in other forums in the past where ppl would literally throw a fit if you called her Aeris.

Hahahahahaha. Her name is supposed to be Aeris. Enough said. Want to know why? Because the game's default name for her is Aeris! Get a clue.

Hahahahahaha. Her name is supposed to be Aeris. Enough said. Want to know why? Because the game's default name for her is Aeris! Get a clue.
That's how I understood it too. But what was said earlier is that the English translation was a little bit off somehow and that her name is actually Aerith in the English language. Aerith is her name in Crisis Core too.

I did not know that. Aeris still I think is a much better name. As you say the last syllabals, it feels like you're biting on your tounge which is weird.

I've stuck to 'Aerith' ever since the Kingdom Hearts days. I honestly prefer the name, not just because that was her intended name. 'Aeris' sounds too much like 'Aries' (Which I've heard people call her, by the way). 'Aerith' doesn't sound like it has a lisp sound when I hear it, nor when I say it. I would imagine 'Aeris' would sound more like that, but simply...but opinion.

I've stuck to 'Aerith' ever since the Kingdom Hearts days. I honestly prefer the name, not just because that was her intended name. 'Aeris' sounds too much like 'Aries' (Which I've heard people call her, by the way). 'Aerith' doesn't sound like it has a lisp sound when I hear it, nor when I say it. I would imagine 'Aeris' would sound more like that, but simply...but opinion.

I agree AerithG, I never liked "Aeris" it sounded like the Greek/Roman goddess of destruction which Aerith is so far from.
I have always preferred Aerith especially since it matchs her "Earthy" vibes more; going with Aeris you might as well keep the 'u' at the end or call Sephirith, "Sephiros" - _ -

I agree AerithG, I never liked "Aeris" it sounded like the Greek/Roman goddess of destruction which Aerith is so far from.
I have always preferred Aerith especially since it matchs her "Earthy" vibes more; going with Aeris you might as well keep the 'u' at the end or call Sephirith, "Sephiros" - _ -

The way I saw it, for a while now was that Sephiroth and Aeris were named after gods, I know that Sephiroth was named after some kind of judeo Christian entity, and so was Jenova (Jehova) which is why I liked comparing her to Eris the goddess of discord and strife, and I always assumed that they just wanted to change her name. Also it's kinda nice to have her be the goddess of discord and STRIFE. Also it made sense seeing as how they were complete opposites.

Also I always thought they pronounced it "Aeris" in japan because they don't have a phoneme for "th"

Also I always thought they pronounced it "Aeris" in japan because they don't have a phoneme for "th"

That would be correct. It was a mistranslation since the Japanese pronounce her name as 'Aerisu', which sounds like 'Aeris.'

That would be correct. It was a mistranslation since the Japanese pronounce her name as 'Aerisu', which sounds like 'Aeris.'

Well yeah, than wouldn't it be "Aeris," since the word is pretty much gibberish, I mean I can see them putting "th" at the end of Cait sith, and Sephiroth, because those terms exist outside of FF7. I also heard that it was originally supposed to be "Earth," so why isn't it Earth? I never liked Aerith, it never sat well with me, that and when KH, and CC came out, her characterization was so different I felt like she was an altogether different person, which felt weird.

^The only thing I know is that 'Aerith' sounds like 'Earth', which goes well for the meaning of her character and her role in Final Fantasy VII.

I never really bought the whole "Earth" thing being a reason to change her name to "Aerith," it just doesn't make sense. Funny thing though. Her name is spelled "Gainborough" in Dissidia, no "S"

I call her Aeris cause that's what it is in game. Though everyone else I know calls her Aerith. Even got grumped at for calling her Aeris, "It's aerith!"

Aerith does sound pretty imo, so I guess I'll start calling her that instead, especially if I decide to play Crisis core.

Aerith. I remember all the hype just before FF7 was released in North America and everyone on the net was calling her Aerith. When FF7 was released and her name was Aeris, everyone I knew was screaming about mistranslation, including me!

The way I saw it, for a while now was that Sephiroth and Aeris were named after gods, I know that Sephiroth was named after some kind of judeo Christian entity, and so was Jenova (Jehova) which is why I liked comparing her to Eris the goddess of discord and strife, and I always assumed that they just wanted to change her name. Also it's kinda nice to have her be the goddess of discord and STRIFE. Also it made sense seeing as how they were complete opposites.

Sephiroth is a Kabbalah related name, not really a God, I don't think. I always preferred Aerith as an anagram for Earth, makes more sense since it correlates with her characteristics.

Yeah, its only Aeris because it's Earisu i n Japanese, because there isn't "th" in Japanese, all the more reason why if she'll be Aeris, Sephiroth should be Sephiros -- but they are both supposed to be Aerith & Sephiroth.

Kobrɑ Kid;964250 said:
Sephiroth is a Kabbalah related name, not really a God, I don't think. I always preferred Aerith as an anagram for Earth, makes more sense since it correlates with her characteristics.

Yeah, its only Aeris because it's Earisu i n Japanese, because there isn't "th" in Japanese, all the more reason why if she'll be Aeris, Sephiroth should be Sephiros -- but they are both supposed to be Aerith & Sephiroth.

Another thing is, Aerith, is by no means an anagram of Earth. In japan her name is Earth, or the closest thing japanese people can get to it. The whole Earth anagram thing kinda bothers me. Either call her "Earth," or admit that "Aeris," and "Aerith" are gibberish and therefore must conform to traditional japanese phonemes, you can't have it both ways.

I never really liked Aerith, it sounded like I was a little autistic everytime I said it. And I figure it just comes down to what you like. I'm not going to be one of those guys, but back when the game came out that's just what we called her, and I think most if not all of the people voting nay on Aerith are older fans. Not to mention that she's been very annoying since her name was changed to Aerith.

the real reathon for them changing aerith'th name from aerith to aerith ith that the tranthlator had a lithp.

hope thith clearth everything up guyth. (y)

Another thing is, Aerith, is by no means an anagram of Earth. In japan her name is Earth, or the closest thing japanese people can get to it. The whole Earth anagram thing kinda bothers me. Either call her "Earth," or admit that "Aeris," and "Aerith" are gibberish and therefore must conform to traditional japanese phonemes, you can't have it both ways.

No. For example, in Bleach, a Japanese Manga, there is a woman called "Rukia" her name is Japanese way of trying to say "Lucia", but they still call her Rukia anyway in both Japanese and English. Even if it should be Lucia in English they call her Rukia the Japanese pronunciation, same thing applies to Aerith.

I never really liked Aerith, it sounded like I was a little autistic everytime I said it. And I figure it just comes down to what you like. I'm not going to be one of those guys, but back when the game came out that's just what we called her, and I think most if not all of the people voting nay on Aerith are older fans. Not to mention that she's been very annoying since her name was changed to Aerith.

Her name...changing...made her more annoying? >.> I am an older fan I played FFVII when it was new, yet I still prefer Aerith, because that makes more sense and its what they call her now.

Back