Aerith or Aeris

I wasn't. I said I prefer Aerith because it's correct. Flux was the one who took issue with my saying Aerith was incorrect.

I've not taken any issue with it. I just replied to you with my thoughts, as you decided to break down my post in the quotes. I'm happy discussing this, it's not exactly a big deal.

I see what he/she's saying though. You are coming across in that way, may not be intended though.

Yes. Yes it is. Just as Robotech is a 'wrong' translation of Macross. It doesn't mean it's somehow horrific or a massive breach to discuss Robotech, but Robotech is 'wrong' to the rest of the Macross continuity. Same with Aeris.

Let me make this simple- Aerith correct, Aeris incorrect. Aerith acceptable, Aeris also acceptable.

There was obviously an issue with the translation, that's fine, but I wouldn't go over to someone and say "actually, her name isn't Aeris, that name isn't correct blah blah blah"

Regardless of the translation issues, Aeris is the name she had, so I wouldn't class it as "wrong" when people call her it. Aerith may be the name that was intended & lost in translation, but as it stands, she was named Aeris.

I'm not saying I have any issues with people who call her Aerith, or why they call her that it actually doesn't bother me because I don't consider either of them wrong, because they are both the names she was given translation problems or not, for people who call her either name, it's what they know her as.

I just call her Aerith because I think it sounds better. Also I only recently played FFVII last year so I wasn't used to calling her Aeris, so when everything else started saying her name was Aerith I wasn't too fussed about changing.

I've not taken any issue with it. I just replied to you with my thoughts, as you decided to break down my post in the quotes. I'm happy discussing this, it's not exactly a big deal.

I see what he/she's saying though. You are coming across in that way, may not be intended though.

My apologies if I'm coming across as a bit too brusque. I prefer to cut straight to the chase.

There was obviously an issue with the translation, that's fine, but I wouldn't go over to someone and say "actually, her name isn't Aeris, that name isn't correct blah blah blah"

In most situations, neither would I, actually. Only when the discussion strays towards correctness or not do I even bother, and I'll admit I accidentally took it in that direction here.

Regardless of the translation issues, Aeris is the name she had, so I wouldn't class it as "wrong" when people call her it. Aerith may be the name that was intended & lost in translation, but as it stands, she was named Aeris.

Yes, she was. But by the same token, in the original dub of Sailor Moon, Haruka and Michiru (or whatever their dub names were) were changed to be cousins rather than lesbians. This is a more dramatic change than a name change, but it is a change from the prime source, and thus effecively misinformation.
Or the character Sierra. She was Shera in the english translation of FF7, but AC, DoC, and CoB all refer to her as Sierra. In this same vein, 'Shera' is a mistranslation of 'Sierra'.

I'm not saying I have any issues with people who call her Aerith, or why they call her that it actually doesn't bother me because I don't consider either of them wrong, because they are both the names she was given translation problems or not, for people who call her either name, it's what they know her as.

And that's perfectly fine. I for one ADORE the English dub of Samurai Pizza cats, but I know that if we are talking about the story that the creators intended, I know it's 'wrong'. I prefer the English version in pretty much every way, even though it's not the 'correct' story.

I most of the time I alternate between Aerith and Aeris because sometimes I'm too lazy to type an extra letter.
Out loud I say it as Aeris,
that's how it's supposed to be said anyway isn't it?.

I most of the time I alternate between Aerith and Aeris because sometimes I'm too lazy to type an extra letter.
Out loud I say it as Aeris,
that's how it's supposed to be said anyway isn't it?.

Not unless you also say 'Kuraudo', 'Sephirosu', 'Zakusu', etc. The kana of her name, like with all 'foreign' names is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, and her name is romanized on the Japanese websites as Aerith, alongside a romanized 'Cloud', 'Sephiroth', 'Zack', etc.

Well I alternate between the two. Her name is acutally Aerith but was mixed up in translation, and they fixed that mix up in Crisis Core.

I call her Aerith, that's her name in any game I've seen her in, so that's what I call her. Never really get why so many people call her Aeris, it looks even more odd than Aerith, which already is an unusual name. :lol:

Aeris.

Even though the original name was Aerith, I use Aeris because it's the name that was used on my save file on PS1 when I played through the game. I'm not going to go from using the name I played with all of FFVII, to something else. I mean, it's no big deal, but I usually stick with whatever I learnt first.

Well, I learnt Aerith first, so...yeah. :P But it just sounds more proper to me, but anyone is free to call her either one, the other is similar anyways. :monster:

I normally use Aerith due to me playing VII properly for the first time this summer, and having knowledge of KH and AC, I renamed her Aerith in the game.

I have several friends who have been long time fans of the game who call her Aeris, so I find myself calling her Aeris if i'm talking to them.

I don't mind either, it just depends how I feel I guess.

I always used to call her Aeris, and was adamant not to change that despite what the rest of the world may think. But I've slowly been converted and now use Aerith as that is what she is refered to in most places, new games, references, and most people use Aerith now. So I've had to adapt and accept that, yeah, Aerith is the proper name.

I think I read that Aeris was a mistranslation anyway, and that Aerith is what was meant in the English version of FF7 as well.

I think I read that Aeris was a mistranslation anyway, and that Aerith is what was meant in the English version of FF7 as well.
Exactly.

Before AC/KH and knowing her name was supposed to be Aerith, I always called her Aeris. But after knowing the correct name I always called her Aerith.

Every time I replay FFVII I name her Aerith.

I think if I start FFVII again, I'm naming each character by their Japanese names.

They kind of emphasized this in Crisis Core, where they spell Aerith as such. Furthermore, I had a preference for Aerith rather than Aeris, which makes me think of Aries instead..

I call her both,sometimes it happens to eb Aeris,some other times Aerith.Doesn't really matter.
I believe Aeris is more right because Japanese can't pronounce the "th" and so they pronounce it "s".

I call her both,sometimes it happens to eb Aeris,some other times Aerith.Doesn't really matter.
I believe Aeris is more right because Japanese can't pronounce the "th" and so they pronounce it "s".

You do mean that makes Red 13 'Red Sirteen', right?
And Sephiroth 'Sephiros'?
Just to deal with the 'th is s' argument.
Besides, it's a bunk argument. Her name is romanized by Square Enix themselves as 'Aerith' in concept art, sourcebooks, and website.

Oh for goodness sake, why the hell does it seem like you have to make a stupid argument for every single thing in regards to FFVII, Ryu? I don't get it at all. It's a bloody NAME. If people want to use Aeris and think it's right, by all means let them. No matter how much you try to drill it into their heads it's "wrong", they're still going to use it, so why sit and waste your time? Would you stop having a go at everybody all the time and trying to prove them wrong? It's getting tiring when that's all you do in most of your posts and people are getting sick of it.

You do mean that makes Red 13 'Red Sirteen', right?
And Sephiroth 'Sephiros'?
Just to deal with the 'th is s' argument.
Besides, it's a bunk argument. Her name is romanized by Square Enix themselves as 'Aerith' in concept art, sourcebooks, and website.

It's like calling Light from Death Note, "Raito". Raito is how his name sounds in Japanese, but the spelling is terribly wrong. I actually thought it was Raito, because I read the translated Manga online before it came out for me to buy. :O It's the same with Aeris and Aerith with me--- I thought it was Aeris because that's how I originally read it, but now I see the correction and usually put it into play even if I prefer Aeris. I also prefer Raito to Light, but it's like calling L "Eru" and Near "Nia". It's just not right. XD

I think I posted here before... I can't remember, lol.

Back