Do you believe in God?

It's not so much a question as to whether I believe in God (or other claimed deities), but more so whether he/she/it exists or not. I believe in "proof of existence."

I was raised as a christian while I was growing up, even though I was non-practicing. When I reached adulthood, I slowly became more agnostic. (Due to life events.) That's not to say that I have any issue with anyone who does believe in God; great, go for it. I would just like the physical evidence regarding their existence, other than someone telling me that "he's just there", "he's omnipresent", etc.

no

it's just not a thing to me, I dont even care if there is a god or not. athiest, agnostic, whatever you want to call it. i just feel like it's all superstition. it is one thing to lay down a guiding set of principles and to live by them; it is another to believe prayer and worship in place of the absence of hope will solve your problems.

I do not directly criticize people who feel religion, in general, is important to them because I don't think that will change anything, and in a way, I strongly respect the ability to make your own choices and believe in what you want to. I don't really ever want to be the kind of person who tells other people what they are supposed to think and believe. Unless, of course, I'm trying to protect my own interests.

I do believe in God, I believe in Satan, Heaven, Hell, Karma, and yes the Afterlife as well. That being said, you will never see me in a Church on Sundays. I feel like religious people overall are some of the most hypocritical and most annoying people I have ever met in my life. They preach one thing, but do the direct opposite. But all is forgiven as long as you go to Church and pray for forgiveness in their eyes. Well fuck that IMO.
They shove their religion in your face constantly and don't respect the fact that you don't wish to be part of their religious faith. Judge you for being different and not matching their standard.
I believe at the end of the day that both God and Jesus can look down at me and see that I'm a good individual and that I have a good kind hearted soul. I hold doors, smile at strangers, help out others with whatever it is they need, and treat others the same way I wish to be treated. I don't need Church to prove that I should have wings when I die.

In my life I cannot help but see the evidence of powers way beyond our comprehension and control.
Karma is certainly something which, if you are a devout religious believer or an atheist, has proven itself time and again that it exists. There seems to be a great balance in this world, an equilibrium which is maintained both on a large global scale and on the minutest level of the individual. We have all heard sayings and proverbs like "Do unto others as you would have done unto you", "You reap what you sow" or even "On this momenteous day" and I would say that all of us would admit that there is a lot of credence to be put into these words of wisdom. We have experienced for ourselves the obvious rewards for positive influences we have on the world and the equally negative consequences of our wrong doings. For the rationalist, we may call Karma, "Cause and effect", but no matter what name you pretty it up with, the fundamental facts of it's exhistance are still the same.

I do beleive in a god or higher force or being. I also believe in the message that Jesus Christ tried to teach us. My view is that, regardless if you believe he was the son of God, or a form of God, or just a shocking holy saint, his message is still quite valid and holds much truth in it. I do not follow a set religion, but I do believe there is true damnation of the soul as well as true salvation. In this aspect of my personal beliefs, I say that people and all living things influence their own fate and life within the limits of the world's balance; angels and demons, being the agents of this balance.

However, in the midst of all this, I would think that perhaps God in its entirety must, for the sake of all creation have a higher agenda then merely looking after us humans. Many times people have questioned the existance of God in referance to all the pain and suffering in the world. I would think that since there has been accounts (both religious and scientific) of higher powers at play in this world (call it coincidence for the sceptical) then perhaps it is fair to deduce that the measure of God is not in it benign nature towards humans, but in its influence upon the balance of the entire world, which may or may not work in the best intrests of the human race.

old JC didn't care much for the physical universe, as opposed to getting your fix in the "actual" universe you enter as a servant of god that lived like the shepard told you. This crucial lesson seems to be pretty lost to most who claim to follow him. It's the most simple lesson he ever gave.

Oh, and it isn't really karmic if we all get plain fucked in the end.

I've always found the fact that mankind collectively does not know the origin of reality disturbing. It is something that man has tried to answer since he first looked into the sky and wondered, tens of thousands of years ago.

I have always had a great compassion for the religious in ancient history. One can only imagine the trepidation they felt in the world around them, and their deep longing for purpose.

The world does not have that longing anymore, and yet it still hasn't gotten it's demand for empirical proof. The world is, by extension, pretty settled on a presumption that we may merely arbitrarily exist by some pulse of nothing- and that is just as disturbing as the seemingly impossible inquiry itself in my opinion. Not because of the idea, but the reason for the idea; why people have stopped caring.

And so I took to religion, particularly Christianity.
For obvious reasons; it's easily attainable.

So much so, actually, that it didn't take long for me to realize why there are so many denominations. This drove me very quickly to Catholicism, because honestly, the sheer amount of denominations is frankly scary.

If I'm going to make a belief in Christianity official, I'm going to go to the actual church that has actual orthodox history.
And that was one hell of a decision because the people in my family who are religious are Baptist. I made a very conscience and independent decision to be baptized and made part of the Church laity.

I believe, obviously, that God exists. In detail, I believe that the Sumerians were approached by God, and the witness to Him was eventually brought to Abraham. That means that the Abrahamic God, by extension, is the oldest god known in literary history.
I find it to be a god worth believing in over any other. The newer a god is, the more questionable they are.

I can't remember if I've already posted in this thread, and I don't feel like going back to check. :hmmm:

I believe in some form of incomprehensible existence or property that we have yet to unravel or comprehend, if ever. It could be sapient or not, who knows. Because as a person of reason and logic, that is the best, albeit vaguest, thing I can put my finger on. I don't believe in a divine creator who adjudicates his own creations, and I certainly don't believe in the biblical God, or Yahweh, or Jehovah, or whatever we should call him. I have as many reasons to believe in the Christian God as I do to believe in the existence of Apollo, or Galactic Overlord Xenu.

The God of the bible is a jealous, murderous, genocidal, hypocritical megalomaniac, who decided that it would be grand if every descendent from Adam and Eve be afflicted with the same damnation that was awarded to Adam and Eve for what they did. A God that instead of just forgiving mankind, decided to send in Jesus to allegedly die for our sins, and now we're all jolly thankful of his grace for doing such a thing. Oh, but most of us are still going to hell though, so much for that. God is so omnipotent and can do anything, but is unable to forgive. What reason do I have to worship this petty thug of a deity, while subscribing to every word of a book composed of pieces of text written by ancient Middle Eastern men from various eras that contradicts itself on so many occasions? If I wish to believe in a benevolent deity and a wise creator, Yahweh isn't going to be on the top of my list.

It was nauseating, to have to sit through so many chapel sessions a week in my secondary school. My grandparents heavily insisted that I attend a private Catholic school, and at the age of 10 or 11, I wasn't in much of a position to have ever dissented, so for the next five years before I made the choice to leave and attend a state school Sixth Form, the school chapel became a very ubiquitous part of my teenage education life. And frankly, I eventually grew sick of it, even though I was part of the choir. I enjoyed the singing, but nothing held any meaning to me, and I gradually began to defiantly skip the many chapel sessions. In a fee-paying school, goodness knows how many teaching hours I could have received instead. The housemaster wasn't daft, and knew I was consistently playing "truant", so I was heavily reprimanded a few times, with my worst punishment being detention. That's the problem with these sort of private schools.

And from that point on, I slowly became influenced by authors such as Hitchens and Dawkins, and I was resolute that organised religion is a load of bullshit. I firmly believe there is something currently indescribable and incomprehensible to the human mind, but it most likely is not a deity of any established religion, and nor is it a deity that serves as the objective pillar of morality from which we should draw upon.

Why would I waste time believing in something when there's no evidence it exists?

Hey DMurphy, would you not consider that a huge amount of believers can't all be wrong? Do you not think that there must be some reasoning behind everyone's existence other than just...evolving into being for no reason?

I agree with you by the way. There really isn't any evidence that couldn't be made up that I know of. If there was a God, then surely he would show his existence through something that no man could possibly make up? It can't be hard considering he made us in the first place, right?

Hey DMurphy, would you not consider that a huge amount of believers can't all be wrong? Do you not think that there must be some reasoning behind everyone's existence other than just...evolving into being for no reason?

Not really. A huge amount of believers can definitely all be wrong, for a start - history is full of massive amounts of people believing things that we now know to be absolutely false. Geocentricity was embraced by large swaths of the world at one point, that doesn't make it remotely true.

Nor do I think that there needs to be any reason or purpose behind man. Evolution doesn't require a reason, that's the beauty of it: Evolution is simply an inevitable, natural process that requires no outside influence.

I believe in the idea of God.

If, that makes sense.

I cannot... no one can say that there is just one almighty 'God' and his/her God is the "right God of choice."

There is so many different religions practiced, and preached, and to try and compare "Gods" to one another? No. Let people have that security, that comfort. Ya know? I can't stand when people try to say that someone's ideas/practices/beliefs/God is wrong. Grow up already!

So many wars have been fought because of "God" (and religion) I'd say for power and money too, but I'm speaking in a general sense.

Same goes for Jesus Christ. I can believe that there was once a man who did good things for the good of people, but to say that he committed no Sin and just died for ours? :hmmm: I don't think so. To say Christ came back? like what?

I am not a religious person. at all. whatsoever. I respect everyone's beliefs, but I for one, think religion is flawed. God is flawed. When the bible was written, it was written multiple times... from multiple peoples. What I'm trying to say that it, itself is biased.

I like the idea of him, i guess you can say for "right or wrong." but then again, at the same time, isn't that kind of common sense?

If we minded our own businesses more often, said our two-cent and shut up,

I think people would respect each-other more when it came to God and religion.

I do believe in God, the reason being I have read the bible and I have read writings by Josephus which is very well known historian and his writings include Jesus as a real person. And there are papers in Rome as well that proves of his existence, and King Solomon was a real king and so was King David look in some Jewish History Books. So there are many sources outside the Bible which it self is a history book in my opinion. And the flood is a historical thing look at ancient egyptian writing and other middle eastern cultures writings have mention of this. As for the creation well in my opinion it takes a lot more believing that just a big bang created everything in a blink of an eye. As with the bible the creation was very detailed, and it makes more sense if the universe was created by steps, not just bang here it is.

The god of Christianity?

What kind of asshole invents mosquitos and unleashes them on the world? if he does exist he sure as hell aint no friend of mine, that's for damn sure

I believe in God as a transcendent being beyond quantification. Whilst I don't know how the universe came into existence life has always begat life as far as we understand it which is why I believe that God as a perpetual existence initiated the cycle of life as we know it.

Yes i do.

Itd be hard for me to explain my beliefs in words and i dont really care to share it with anyone else. So im just giving the ultimate short answer. Yes i believe in god.

Back