FF7 - over-rated or under-rated?

FF7 gets a lot of flak from people whose first final fantasy was FF3(VI) on the SNES, like myself, just as FF8 gets alot of flak from people who played FF7 first. Many people tend to be sore about ff7 because it has overshadowed many other fine and arguebly just as good titles in the series, and have come to judge the game based on the fanboy cult that has formed around it rather than on the merits of the game. Personally I felt it had a slightly convoluted plot, but was otherwise a great game. I've played most of the games and think it is the 2nd best in the series next to ff6.

^^ Some of thsoe customers aren't too happy to be the owner of it. But sadly some fortunate people who haven't played it dont want it, so I cant give it to anyone, and I cant sell it, because this game isn't worth jack shit.

I stay at overrated. Those fanboys that Aztec was talking about are the only reason this game has so much success.

^^ Some of thsoe customers aren't too happy to be the owner of it. But sadly some fortunate people who haven't played it dont want it, so I cant give it to anyone, and I cant sell it, because this game isn't worth jack shit.

I stay at overrated. Those fanboys that Aztec was talking about are the only reason this game has so much success.

if u hate it so much, bin it and quit whining:D

Rubbish......

It's a rare game and goes for quite alot on Ebay. I'm extremely happy to own my copy of it. Sadly, the case is a bit scratched, but the disks are perfect. You can't say a whole game's fanbase is because of fan-boys. The game is a masterpiece and that's why is sells out. Stats don't lie. Everything with the FF7 name on has done well.

Rubbish......

It's a rare game and goes for quite alot on Ebay. I'm extremely happy to own my copy of it. Sadly, the case is a bit scratched, but the disks are perfect. You can't say a whole game's fanbase is because of fan-boys. The game is a masterpiece and that's why is sells out. Stats don't lie. Everything with the FF7 name on has done well.

Its not just the fact that its a masterpiece that has made it succesful, its also down to people who have watched Advent Children and decided to go after FFVII. I think the fans make a massive difference.

Whoa, is this a thread about FFVII? Or Zelda bashing? Because for some reason, many FF fans feel the need to bash Zelda, which I find to also be a very good series.

The point is, is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Many people love this game and Square did a very good job on it. It's isn't my favorite Final Fantasy game though because I found the game to be a bit too easy. But it is still very good.

I don't feel that it is either over rated or under rated. It is only a video game after all.

Last edited:
But sadly some fortunate people who haven't played it dont want it, so I cant give it to anyone, and I cant sell it, because this game isn't worth jack shit.
Yeah, I have a hard time believing you can't sell it anywhere. I've been on ebay many many times and have seen people pay ridiculous amounts of money for it.

Whoa, is this a thread about FFVII? Or Zelda bashing? Because for some reason, many FF fans feel the need to bash Zelda, which I find to also be a very good series.

Sorry if i come across as a Zelda-basher.....but i am. I might as well be honest with you. I'm a Final Fantasy type of guy. But don't let that get in the way of our friendship.

Sorry if i come across as a Zelda-basher.....but i am. I might as well be honest with you. I'm a Final Fantasy type of guy. But don't let that get in the way of our friendship.

Hey don't worry about it. You can hate Zelda all you want :lol:

I was just confused because I thought this thread was going to be about FFVII being overrated or not and the first post is comparing Zelda to Mario. :P

And no I don't feel that it is but I said that in my last post. :D

Speaking of e-bay, I bought a new FFVII on that site about 5 months ago...for a whopping 127 bucks!

Anyway, under-rated? Well, that depends on the person really. Personally, I really don't think it is. I wouldn't say it's over-rated either, because we have many FF fans that do not like it. So same goes for it not being under-rated...a lot of FF fans love the game to death. It really all comes down to opinions.

The reason I view it as not being under-rated is because I've seen a lot of people praise the game for what it's worth. Even now, VII still stands strong as one of the best games out there. It will never be forgotten, in my opinion.

All the people who love AC? You CANNOT tell me they like it for the other characters.

I love AC and it has nothing to do with loving Sephy or Cloud. I really wasnt bothered about those 2, I was more interested in seeing the other characters like Reno, Aeris, Cid, Red, etc.

And weren't you pissed when they only had like, 1 fight scene, while Cloud had a large amount? And then Sephs fight was like 10 minutes?

And weren't you pissed when they only had like, 1 fight scene, while Cloud had a large amount? And then Sephs fight was like 10 minutes?

I wasnt pissed, I was expecting it. I did like the end battle between them, but I knew that the movie would be focused on them. Thats maybe what most fanboys were waiting for.

the game is good, but it's far over rated. It certainly isn't as good as ffx say - yet people hold it up high as a paragon of how games should be - basically, they claim that if anything s different from ff7, it is not as good a game.

and yes, there are several things which could be better in ff7.

the game is good, but it's far over rated. It certainly isn't as good as ffx say - yet people hold it up high as a paragon of how games should be - basically, they claim that if anything s different from ff7, it is not as good a game.

and yes, there are several things which could be better in ff7.

thats hypocritical of you dont ya think?

Considering you hold ff x up high as a paragon of how games should be.

Another thing is that you are stereotyping fans of ff VII.

*teleports out of this thread before he gets flamed*

Last edited:
I will agree with you there tbh. I don't mind Cloud or Seph but they're not my favorite characters, and just like I've said in other threads, Cloud didn't do anything in VII on his own. Everyone was there and they all had to work as a team. In AC, they portray pretty much everyone besides Cloud as completely incompetent, the rest of Avalanche manage to not even make one scratch on Bahamut.

Gah....dont' get me started on AC.

Another thing is that you are stereotyping fans of ff VII.
Everyone does, it's the 'cool' thing to do.

Last edited:
The way i see it, FFVII it was just another Final Fantasy and the people who loved it were actual fans of the game itself, then when Advent Children came out everyone is like "0mg FFVII!!111!!" so i think it has become over rated.

Shyne, stop trying to convince your cousin FFVII is better then FFVIII. Seriously, why try and make him think your way? He likes FFVIII for his own reasons, probably legitmate ones with reasoning, and you come across as not being able to handle that ;P Tis just something you have to accept at the end of the day.

Back