FF7 - over-rated or under-rated?

Considering the game isn't ruler of a country or the cure for one or more types of cancer, i would say over rated.

It's a brilliant brilliant game! Don't get me wrong! But the way some people act... it's not THAT amazing.

Then again i tend to treat FFX like god and people give me raised eyebrow's.

I would say neither :P The game is a really good game, but it does not deserve all the the "Wows" it gets >_> And for Christ´s sake... To all you you who pray and adore for the FFVII over-humanly much: Stop it! :P
It gets rather annoying when you have a FFVII friend walking beside you talking all about how awesome Sephiroth is.

Its not my favourite in the series but I still think its a great RPG. But it annoys me that they've made such a franchise out of it with so many spin-offs. I wish they'd just left the original game to to tell it's own story it was a good story with a good ending and I don't understand why they'd need expand upon it *looks at the sales of Advent Children* oh yeah that's why.... Ka-ching! :)

Ehh...I am indeed a big fan of FF7 but I think it is under rated in some aspects. People shun it if they haven't played it, and most people will tell you it is well-balanced if they have. Overall it is under rated, but it is no god-game.

I'm going to be the first one to admit that I am a FFVII fanboy. I didn't pick up on FFVII until oh... 1998 when I was introduced to it by my seeing my neighbor fight the first boss in the game. I saw him use a Limit Break and I was captivated.

FFVII was my first Final Fantasy game to ever play. I borrowed it from him as he couldn't get the RPG system (He never played an RPG before but bought it). I fell in love with it ever since then and have beaten in damn near a hundred times if not more. I didn't actually fully understand the story of it until years after I beat it, as I was a mere child when I first got my hands on it. But I loved it none the less. I still love it and still play it.

With this said, Final Fantasy VII is NOT the best of the series. It's just my favorite. I don't find it over rated as I feel it deserves the spin offs and I enjoy all of them (Some waaaay more than others) and there are some I simply cannot enjoy because I cannot read Japanese nor do I live in Japan.

Now, with this all said. I HATE other fanboys. I find THEM repulsive... especially Sephiroth fanboys. Sephiroth is a great villain, not the greatest, but a great villain. But I hate his fanboys. They agitate me.

But yes, the game is not over-rated. It's definately not under-rated seeing as people who have never played the game before recognize Sephiroth and Cloud. The game is a good game, it's not the best game, but it's a good game and a good series. If you disagree, then you're trying to tell me what my opinion of good and bad is. Seeing as FFVII just ranked in the top 5 greatest games of all time at gamespot, I would say a lot of people think so too.

I don't really know whether this is overrated or underrated, people who have played the game can realize it for what it's worth, but it seems that legend of zelda fans who haven't even played it or know that much about it keep making it seem like a bad game when it's not really.
But then you get the fanboys of this game who say its the best game out there, and that it will not be beaten by anything, what I say to them is, ok fine, in your opinion that's fine but just don't try to change my opinion just because I have an open mind about other games, from the same company and from other companies.
It is one of the best RPGs but you have to remember there are many RPGs out there and they are all different, so I just try to keep an open mind. I wouldn't say it is the best game in the world, statistically it probably is, but in the real world, numbers just don't matter.

I enjoy the game so I don't really care what other people think.

I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series and have played a wide range of games, like I'm sure most of us here have as well. Out of them all I would have to say that 6 was one of my most favored, why? Well its simple the character design, gameplay and story really appealed to me. With FF-7 I really do like it and I think that it's over rated thanks to the fanboys.

I asked a friend of mine, "Who do you think would win out of Sephiroth and Ultimecia?" He replied "Sephiroth" and I asked why.. he had no evidence what so ever to back his statement and simply said "Because he's cool." That is one of the things that tends to get to me about the fanboys, they state that their heros and villians from the game would beat everyone and everything.

I also had a poll up asking who would win out of Sephiroth and Sin and the result was Sephiroth. Now if you ask me I don't think Sephiroth could hurt Sin as much as Sin could hurt him. Sure he's beyond human but something as large as Sin would take a lot to take down. He was able to take down cities and armies with simple blasts and he also has monsters and spawn about him, if it came down to me I'd have to say that Sephiroth would not win.

Final Fantasy 7 was a great game but it lacked in places that other games of the FF franchise picked up on. All final fantasies have their ups and downs and all are equally great apart from a select few which I won't mention. The characters in Final Fantasy 7 were great, they were quite sterotypical but all held deeper stories to them, the depth that was concentrated into the characters was more than enough to make me like them all. Personally, I'm a big Aerith fan because I know she's a lot stronger than most depict her to be. I'm not a Cloud fangirl, nor do I plan to become one but I liked him as a main character. I understand why most people would call him emo but I believe that he wasn't. The key to me believing this is because of the part where Cid becomes trapped under the rubble and Cloud states that he's not about to leave his friends behind. Now if you were emo, you'd be crying in the corner complaining that the world was coming to an end and you can't do anything about it. I can also understand why Cloud was in his condition, as most of you would too, after being through so much and losing himself, it's no wonder that many misinterpreted him. I done a servey asking people if they liked Cloud of Zack as a main and surprisingly most answered Cloud. I would like have to say Zack only because his attitude is a bit more upbeat, though again I'd like to state, that I don't think that Zack went through as much as Cloud had to endure.

Now, Sephiroth. I like him as a villian. He killed Aerith, the very person who marks purity and innocence but I don't think he would be in my top choice of villians. I do know that Ultimecia and Kefka would be at the top of my list because of their abilities, attitudes (despite hardly seeing Ultimecia at all) and just plain craziness. I have to say I also liked Sephiroth before he went all evil, mainly because he seemed to have a sense of sadness surrounding him. He was a great character but he's not amazing compared to some of the characters that I have seen and that's a lot considering that I've watched a lot of anime, read a lot of manga and played a heap of games.

So simply, is FF7 overrated? I would have to say yes. Again it's because of the extreme fanboys, the way that they glorify the game and the way it's put on a pedistool is just too much considering that there ARE better games out there. It's a great game none the less and I wouldn't stop anybody from playing it if they wanted to.

^_^

FFVII is my favorite game in the series, but even I think it has been getting too much attention. This game has been praised and worshipped for so long that it's starting to get on my nerves. I was fine when they made the Advent Children movie, but spin-offs just kept popping out of nowhere. SE should've focused on a different FF, but they still kept going. What I'm basically trying to say is, yes, FFVII is overrated.

Hey, I say let people think what they want to think. It's alright if you want the best for these people but let's face the reality. Fanboys will continue to act like slaves when FF7 is mentioned...and that;s alright. If they are feeling blissful like that, then who are we to try and snatch that misguided happiness from them? I say we talk about something else.

It's definitely NOT underrated because a lot of people (like the thread starter) consider VII to be the best one in the series. I mean look at Kingdom Hearts, the final secret boss is Sephiroth. Why not Kefka, or Golbez, or Jecht? Because VII is the most popular FF out there. That doesn't necessarily mean it's THE best, but it's definitely NOT underrated. I personally don't think it's overrated either because I love the game. It kinda sorta deserves all the praise it's getting, but games like VI and IV deserve praise too.

It's underrated by the people who say it's overrated, and overrated by the people who say it's underrated.

It's fine the way it is.

FF7 is both under- and overrated.

It's underrated by many who say it wasn't all that with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and chopped peanuts. Because VII made a jerk the hero, brought the RPG a bit away from sword and sorcery, and raised the bar unbelievably high for the genre. FMVs, 3D, cussing, sexual innuendo, brutal realities, etc. It also had a good story with GREAT settings--perhaps the best in the series--and true evil to chop down. Sephiroth and Shinra not only were evil, but they ate evil, so that all who came afterward would have to pick through their leavings. VII became more than a menu-based slasher by varying the action in many of their levels. VII was very nearly a masterpiece.

Very nearly.

VII is overrated by many, because they took notice of the new cool thing, and that got them started on what many of us loved before it was a fad. But that's a good thing, except that it holds such a high and lofty position in many people's hearts. The truth is, there was tons of problems with VII. They cut so many corners that it left holes in the gameplay. The translation after the first disc is so rushed that the story becomes just plain confusing at times. Nothing after Midgar was done as well as Midgar. Some of the story got rushed. The ending sucked after Cloud squared Sephiroth away. There are contradictions in the story. Many holes.

VII is something special. But like a lot of Square's earlier games, it could have been so much more.

I think this game i well under rated, i was with a few of my mates the other day and i put it on an they was like aww why the hell you playing that its crap!! an i was like how can you call it crap its like the best gamer ever made!! YOU TWAT!!! hahaa! But yeh i think its under-rated =D

Anyone who says FFVII sucks, is just someone who wants to join the FFVII hate bandwagon to be cool. There's a REASON why it's rated as one of the best games of all time. And to the thread creator, I happen to like Legend of Zelda thank you very much!

Neither over-rated nor under-rated.

It's gotten the attention it deserves simply for being a great game.

It is over-rated in my opinon.
I can admit it has two very strong points: Characters and Materia system.
The bad points for me are: Plot and Graphics.

I enjoy the most from the plot. So because I didn't like the plot (only the middle-end part of it), my enjoyment was ruined.

I don't really know how so many people enjoyed the game so much and say it is "the best game ever". Maybe because they focus more on the gameplay rather than on the plot (well, it is a GAME after all). Or just it was only me who didn't like the middle-end part of the plot.

Well, it is my opinion. But I don't hate the game (don't get me wrong). And I'll surely play as many of it's spinoffs as I'll can.

I think it is overrated when people act like its the god of the series and everything else can't hold a candle to it. For me, FF VII stands as the only game in the series that I lost intrest in whithin the first few hours.

I hated the Materia system and the fact that you had to have special materia equiped to do basic things like target multiple enemies or allies with magic(A feature that's been in the series since FF II without any special requirements), the battles seemed slow when compared to the other games in the series, the opening sequence was probally the least exciteing one for me when compared to other games in the series, and I never really connected to the characters.

The point is that every game in the series has their flaws, and VII’s annoyed me to the point that I simply walked away. Unlike many of the other games in the series, it failed to draw me in early, and the problems just mounted from there with it.

For me, VII felt like a step back from FF IV and VI, and the weakest entry out of the PS1 FF titles. To put it bluntly, I enjoyed FF I, II, V, and X more than I did VII.

So yeah, its overrated when hardcore FF VII fanboys insult FF I-VI and act like VII is the greatest game in the entire series without even bothering to try the other games(Especially FF I-VI).

I think it is overrated when people act like its the god of the series and everything else can't hold a candle to it. For me, FF VII stands as the only game in the series that I lost intrest in whithin the first few hours.

I hated the Materia system and the fact that you had to have special materia equiped to do basic things like target multiple enemies or allies with magic(A feature that's been in the series since FF II without any special requirements), the battles seemed slow when compared to the other games in the series, the opening sequence was probally the least exciteing one for me when compared to other games in the series, and I never really connected to the characters.

The point is that every game in the series has their flaws, and VII’s annoyed me to the point that I simply walked away. Unlike many of the other games in the series, it failed to draw me in early, and the problems just mounted from there with it.

For me, VII felt like a step back from FF IV and VI, and the weakest entry out of the PS1 FF titles. To put it bluntly, I enjoyed FF I, II, V, and X more than I did VII.

So yeah, its overrated when hardcore FF VII fanboys insult FF I-VI and act like VII is the greatest game in the entire series without even bothering to try the other games(Especially FF I-VI).

You, sir, have just made my day. 'Tis an excellent post. I understand where you're coming from with that. Sometimes I speak with people and it's like talking to a wall. They don't care about the old games. Everything to them is their precious FF7. Ahh to hell with it I say!

I'd say a bit of both. Those that say it is the greatest thing ever and nothing else comes close to it are over-rating it something severe. At the same time those who hold a strong dislike forit because of it being the first game to receive massappeal and bring in so many new fans are under-rating it.

FFVII is a fantastic game. However it is part of what is probably the greatest game series of all time. It is not a long way above all the other FF games like some people seem to think nor is it way below them. I love it simply because it bought a whole new wave of fans to the series and I don't think it would be where it is now without FFVII, it was a bold leap into the 3D era and it was always going to have fans of the 2D era that disliked it but they managed to do what no other developer would have been capeable of by raising the bar to such a high level.

I really tried to play this game, and got to the end of the second disk and just stopped. It had such a lack luster story and such mediocre characters that it just couldn't appeal to me. The first time I played it, I gave up after a couple of hours because it just kept dragging on and on. So, I stopped, than about a year later, I tried again, and actually tried, I lvled everyone up, but in the end, I just can't play it all the way through. The worst part is (I am going to get so much hate mail, it's not even funny, but oh well) how useless aerith turned out to be. I knew she was going to die, but to die at the end of the first disc, I felt like all that time trying to lvl her up was for nothing.

I couldn't get attached to her because she really didn't show anything to special that would get me attached to her. Then there's sephiroth, yes, he is evil and diabolical, but so is every other villain in the searies, so no special treatment for him. I am truelly sorry, but this game is not something I am going to try and play again.

Back