FF7 - over-rated or under-rated?

under rated as it is to good to ever be over rated this has some brilliant iconic moments in it such as the death of a beloved character aeris a great villian like sephiroth and fun minigames like chocobo racing

It wasn't over-rated before....it is now due to the horrible spin-offs and remakes of movies that took 5-9 years (< ?) to make.

Personally, I don't call any of the spin-offs true spin-offs because they weren't good. I try very hard to remember the real FFVII game, but it gets tough some times to remember. :(

It wasn't over-rated before....it is now due to the horrible spin-offs and remakes of movies that took 5-9 years (< ?) to make.

Personally, I don't call any of the spin-offs true spin-offs because they weren't good. I try very hard to remember the real FFVII game, but it gets tough some times to remember. :(
no i agree about the horrible sequels i just wont go near them after advent children which nearly made me stop loving 7

AC was by far the best to come off of all the spin-offs though. There wasn't enough battles and when there was, it wasn't that great. I hear that the graphics are to "die for" when I seriously don't they are that good. Sure, they are very pretty, but nothing to "zOMG" about. >.<

Crisis Core was a huge mistake, I have no idea about Before Crisis. But I will never waste money on it unless I have some to throw around -- donations would come first before the game of course ^^

AC was by far the best to come off of all the spin-offs though. There wasn't enough battles and when there was, it wasn't that great. I hear that the graphics are to "die for" when I seriously don't they are that good. Sure, they are very pretty, but nothing to "zOMG" about. >.<

Crisis Core was a huge mistake, I have no idea about Before Crisis. But I will never waste money on it unless I have some to throw around -- donations would come first before the game of course ^^
Really? I loved Crisis Core. I know its an opinion, but I absolutely adored that game.

The other spin-offs? Not so much.

Eh, the game has to have a good story line for me to like it. I'm sure it was fun in a sense, but personally...I don't think anything of it >.<

But hey, everyone has opinions to share ^^

Really? I loved Crisis Core. I know its an opinion, but I absolutely adored that game.

The other spin-offs? Not so much.

I thought Crisis Core and Dirge Of Cerebus were good spin-offs. They really told me things that I needed to know about Cloud and Vincent, respectively.
The others like Last Order were just unnecessary.

Guys can we please keep the thread on the topic of whether VII was over-rated or under-rated. We do have sections and threads where you can discuss your opinions of the spin-offs. Thanks. :)

Sorry Tia :sad3:

I thought that this game was underrated for being overrated. Kind of confusing, I know, but people are saying that it's overrated, and thus, they are detering people from playing the game, as these people think that it's not as good as they say. It's a great game that deserves the hype it gets and the spin-offs only make it better and better.

Even if people say it's overrated, why would this stop people from playing it? I think people should make the overall critical review on a one person based decision, their own. Although I do think there are too many spinoffs and it devalues the original in my opinion. But I will stand by this being my overall favorite Final Fantasy. And I don't feel disheartened when they bring out spin offs I play them and make the decision on that basis.

Good game, but it's obviously overrated. Most people would go like "omg its da best game eva!!!!" without even playing another one in the FF series. Not everyone, but some people.

lol FFVII underrated? Ummmm not a flying chance in hell is this game underrated. Overrated may be a bit far, but is far more realistic than it being called underrated. IMO this game has gotten more attention than others which isnt fair, but what do you expect? This game has the resume to garner all of the attention that it has gotten, fair or unfair its just the way it is.

Fantastic game-- but seriosuly overrated. Like Cristiano Ronaldo. He's good, but not as brilliant as is made out. I'd rate both the game and CR 8/10, but everyone's convinced its like 11 / 10.

being overrated doesn't make something bad. Something could be 9.5 outta 10 brilliant- but people say it is beyond perfect. This is still being overrated even though the thing is amazing.

Some people can be eejits. lol.

Final Fantasy VII is my favourite game of all time, without question, but I still feel it is overrated. I don't think any game has the right to be called "the greatest ever", which it quite often is. The frequent comparison is to Ocarina of Time, and even then, you can't compare the two games because one requires skill and logic, the other requires strategy and forward planning. Games like Goldeneye, Call of Duty: MW2, or even GTA4 could all be called the greatest of all time too, but all of those games cannot be compared to FFVII in any way.

I guess what I am trying to say is, in less words, that no game is worthy of the title "best". Similarly, no game is "perfect".

I have to say that I love most the Final Fantasy game's, I would say that I am a fan of the series, but I would have to say that Final Fantasy VII is probably the greatest one out! I had to laugh at those YouTube videos trying to make it look bad by puttin' it against all these other game's.

The thing is if you look for flaw's you will find them in it, just an overall look at the game it's story and characters show's you that game's can tell stories weather you like them or not!

People hate Final Fantasy VII and people love it, I have friend's that don't even like Final Fantasy game's but appreciate VII. The thing is people just want to hate that game for no reason really. I also had to laugh at the person who said that X is a better game! I mean c'mon who are you kiddin' apart from yourself? There is no way that X can compete with VII! I think I have played all except XI because I have no interest in subscription game's to be fair I believe that it is just a rip off! And out of all the Final Fantasy's I have played it has to be VII on top with VI behind it and then I would have to go with VIII!

X is a good game but not a real Final Fantasy I think they was just trying out the PS2 with this game same as XIII with PS3/Xbox, These two game's are Square showing the rest what they can achieve with the new consoles!!

Anyway apart from that just to say Hi to you all!!

Zackk said:
The thing is people just want to hate that game for no reason really.

Exactly.

As I've stated in another VII thread, I just think it's so pointless to waste your time hating on something you're not forced to play... I mean... If you want to discuss something, sure, that's fine... But if you're just gonna hate on it, that's so pointless and immature.

Of course it's not the best game ever made, there is no best game ever made, 'cause it's opinions we're dealing with here.

So if people would just respect the fans loving and adoring this game, because they do like it and aren't putting it on a pedestal, but just being truthful about their likings, than the haters, should stop hating on things, and go worship games that they like, instead of telling the fans it's overrated. I mean... That doesn't contain one bit of common sense, whatsoever.

I don't think VII is overrated or underrated, for that matter.

I think it gets the attention it deserves, and I like it.

I think it's slightly over-rated.

I do like the game and I downloaded the game from the PSN store over Christmas and I'm enjoying it a lot. It is a good game and I can see why people get passionate about it. The characters are very likable and the story does a good job of pulling you in. I wouldn't say that it's the best in the series and I think people go too far with that, but that's just my opinion.

I was pulled in very much when I was younger but a few years on I just don't care about it as much as I did. The same thing happened to me in regards to Kingdom Hearts. Shit happens.

I think a lot of hate comes from the fact that SE made loads of spin offs like other games, movies, books etc. Some people aren't as big fans and they don't like having FF7 shoved down their throats when there could be other FF's being worked on. And certain FF7 fans don't help anything by being fan freaks and jizzing their pants when someone disagrees with them. I don't we have anyone like that on the forum though. :hmmm:

This is sort of hard to say, because of the history I have with this game. To be honest it is a bit overrated. I really think it because of the attention it receives from both sides. Of the love hate argument.

Both sides have their points, and both sides look like children at the same time. Some see it as the birth of what Squaresoft has become, others as the death of their classic RPG forumla.

It sure did alot for current RPGs at least presentation wise. That comes from being the first 3D rpg to really gain the mainstream success. Which is also why it is going to be hated on. So what it boils down to is if you like it, then just sit down shut up and enjoy it. And if you dont like, just sit down shut up and dont play it. Everyone really looks like childish fools.:reptar:

*on a note, I am a big fan of this game, although it is not my favorite I still enjoy it.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of taking down Sephiroth using nothing but a clever use of re-raise and auto cast pheonix. Then using the W-Item materia to replicate the tens of thousands of grenades required to kill all three forms after 6 hours of fun. I haven't met a FF game other than possibly tactics, that managed to eat up as much time as 7 did. Here is to hoping that they will do a re-make and pretty up the graphics for the new generation consoles.

Back