Final Fantasy XIII English Theme Song - Leona Lewis "My Hands"

It's funny how people seem to know the whole story of the game and thus judge the theme song as non-fitting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone. What I mean is judging without knowing better is futile. :)

My sister listens a lot Leona but I don't know her songs. I'm curious about the game and this songs did not kill my curiosity.

I don't think it suits, but as Mark says, they may edit it to fit FF more.

However, I see the logic behind it. Leona Lewis will be a powerful USP (Unique selling point) for the game. If Leona Lewis fans find out about her involvement in the game, they would be persuaded to buy it. FF fans may be a bit skeptical, but they won't go "I'm not buying this cause of the theme song now". So it was little to lose. Let's face it, we are more influenced to buy the game for storyline and gameplay, and at least they ain't edited the whole soundtrack.

I don't wanna listen to the song. It would be a minor spoiler hehe and i hate any types of spoilers.

It's funny how people seem to know the whole story of the game and thus judge the theme song as non-fitting.

I have a feeling that this was directed at me partly so I'll respond.

When I said that it didn't seem very fitting, I didn't mean that I knew the entire story of the game.

I was saying that it did not feel very Final Fantasy like. It didn't seem magical and suiting to that of the Final Fantasy games, which are Fantasy like (obvious).

Leona's voice seems plain and not fitting for any Final Fantasy. I don't need to know the story line of FFXIII to have an opinion on whether or not I think that her voice is just out of place.

Last edited:
I've tried to dig the song but I am really...not liking it being paired with FFXIII as a main theme song. I do hope SE make a remix to it or such. I am sure they will do the same thing they did for KH2's Utada Hikaru's song.

Then maybe then I won't be such a fussy little git about this song.

Oh, I didn't even consider a remix. A remix might make it better for me to hear then.

In general, I'm not into this genre in the first place, but if it matches the game, I'll get into it. But as I said, I'm not feeling the Final Fantasy vibe in the song, so if they can remix it to have that vibe, I'll probably be praising "My Hands" for years to come :awesome:

It would HAVE to be an orchestra version of this song to have any possibility of it suiting the game. Tbh, I don't really see what SE are getting out of it by picking Leona, yes she's a good singer, but judging by this thread alone she's not well known by Americans which will be SE's main western audience. I'd rather have seen Utada do the theme song =/

Urk. :brooding:

I'd rather they just included a song they made for the game... I mean whatever happened to the idea of having the vocal song draw on the sounds of the main theme tune of the game?

If they're just going to pull people in from the charts and not even have them make their own song up that's just really silly. I mean, while I'm not a fan of Leona Lewis, I wouldn't mind it if they'd at least got her to record a song for game, maybe reflecting on themes from the game and sounding like a vocal version of a theme from the game...

This however is just wacking anything by a popular artist of our times into the game in a hope to boost sales, and not because it really has anything to do with the game at all. :ness:

:hmmm: If I had listened to this song without seeing this thread I would never have thought it was a FF song. It just seems like another one of those pop songs that come out every couple of months. I'm not really into her music either.

I hope they do edit it in some form to give it the magical feel that (IMO) FF songs should have.

EDIT: I just saw the release date. It's some time in March so a lot of things can change during that time. :)

Last edited:
Urk. :brooding:

I'd rather they just included a song they made for the game... I mean whatever happened to the idea of having the vocal song draw on the sounds of the main theme tune of the game?

If they're just going to pull people in from the charts and not even have them make their own song up that's just really silly. I mean, while I'm not a fan of Leona Lewis, I wouldn't mind it if they'd at least got her to record a song for game, maybe reflecting on themes from the game and sounding like a vocal version of a theme from the game...

This however is just wacking anything by a popular artist of our times into the game in a hope to boost sales, and not because it really has anything to do with the game at all. :ness:

Exactly what was going through my head! The highlighted part in particular was exactly what I was thinking. She'll probably get slammed with a few questions in relation to the game too later on and be like. ":gonk:".

I bought a CD of hers a while back and I'm not really impressed. Bleeding the Love was the only good one in my opinion.

Anyway;

As soon as I heard the lyrics at the start:
I wake in the morning
Tired of sleeping
Get in the shower
And my make my bed alone
I put on my make up
Talk into the mirror
Ready for a new day, Without you
And i walk steady on my feet
I talk my voice obeys me

I thought this has has nothing really to do with anything but some guy she's in love with and can't be with or whatever.

It may be suitable for a Snow and Serah theme, maybe, but not an overall theme for the entire game!

The lyrics don't really give the game the credit it deserves. It's not about one giant love story, it's about so much more. The Final Fantasy games always are!

I really wish Utada had of stepped in or that they had of at least asked her to do it. She at least would have a feel of the games by now and produce a better suiting theme song.

:hmmm: If I had listened to this song without seeing this thread I would never have thought it was a FF song. It just seems like another one of those pop songs that come out every couple of months. I'm not really into her music either.

I hope they do edit it in some form to give it the magical feel that (IMO) FF songs should have.

EDIT: I just saw the release date. It's some time in March so a lot of things can change during that time. :)

I totally agree! The highlighted part in particular is exactly what I'm thinking too.

She most definitely does not give the game a magical feel with that song. Her voice doesn't suit and the lyrics are just not right.

At least Rikki and Utada did. v_v Why can't they ask them to do it. :gonk:

Last edited:
I was in shock when I seen the programme on XBox LIVE. But Im so happy at the same time. Its good for us Brits and its great for Leona. She is such a talented singer and Im so happy she got to be a part of the games soundtrack. Wonder if she has ever played a Final Fantasy before lol?

I guess when the song is released as a single (which will be likely following FFXIII's release in North America and Europe), we can all guess at what the video will contain. It will probably be like movie theme songs in terms of the video. Leona may appear in it, while the majority of it may be FFXIII content. That will feel rather bizarre if I see it being played on the Top 40 chart show.

Remixing the song? That idea never crossed my mind. I suppose it could work if they did that. Either way this can propel Leona Lewis to even greater fame in the USA. She is well known here in the UK- and not as so in the USA. Final Fantasy fans can familiarise themselves with Leona if they haven't already, and vice versa for the Leona fans. Luckily, I'm both!

...Leona Lewis? Good voice and stuff but...that just doesn't seem to fit haha. Not much of a fan of dragging pop culture in to these games. That said, if Muse whapped out a song for a game then I wouldn't be moaning, so I'm probably just spitting my dummy out for nothing.

Wow. Two of the greatest people/org. are coming together in harmony (for me)~ Whilst I'm not big on the song itself I really liked how SE are appealing to their fans in the USA/UK. It would be strange for it to be on the top 40, but we'll see :ryan: Thankies for the link, Ryan! :monster:

It would HAVE to be an orchestra version of this song to have any possibility of it suiting the game. Tbh, I don't really see what SE are getting out of it by picking Leona, yes she's a good singer, but judging by this thread alone she's not well known by Americans which will be SE's main western audience. I'd rather have seen Utada do the theme song =/

I have no idea what SE is trying to gain by using Leona Lewis' song in their game but her popularity in the U.K may be the reason why they picked her over someone who is American. I just cannot help but feel as if this choice will not bode over well with most Western fans of FF. Judging by this thread alone is a foolish thing to do but I think Westerners become more used hearing a Japanese or Japanese made song in these FF games that no one may give Leona the time of day.

However, I got to admit I am pretty disappointed in SE's brash decision for this song. It is almost as if they are trying to make FF13 appeal more to a Western auidence but making wrong choices in doing so but I call for people to wait and see first before making any rash judgment on this game.

We have till March, don't we? I think we can wait.

I have no idea what SE is trying to gain by using Leona Lewis' song in their game but her popularity in the U.K may be the reason why they picked her over someone who is American. I just cannot help but feel as if this choice will not bode over well with most Western fans of FF. Judging by this thread alone is a foolish thing to do but I think Westerners become more used hearing a Japanese or Japanese made song in these FF games that no one may give Leona the time of day.

However, I got to admit I am pretty disappointed in SE's brash decision for this song. It is almost as if they are trying to make FF13 appeal more to a Western auidence but making wrong choices in doing so but I call for people to wait and see first before making any rash judgment on this game.

We have till March, don't we? I think we can wait.

The only problem being that Americans' probably don't care for Leona Lewis in general, yes she may have succeeded over there with her first single but I don't think she's been anywhere near as successful over there since.

I don't even think people's problems are with Leona Lewis singing it, it's the song in general. We may see another version of it - hopefully an orchestra version - but the problem is the lyrics still wouldn't fit in with FFXIII and that's where most people aren't liking the choice. If you compare the Japanese theme song and English theme song, there's a dramatic difference in both the mood of the song and the actual lyrics.

I'd have no problem with Leona singing the theme song, but I would want it to be original and not some song that originally had nothing to do with FFXIII which is where the song falls extremely short.

That said, if Muse whapped out a song for a game then I wouldn't be moaning.

Ive often thought that would be a good idea. Im not saying this because Im a huge Muse fan, Iam :D But their music would be good for a game and I think Final Fantasy would be a good choice for them. They can dish out different varity of tunes and beats.

Back on topic rofl, I thought Leona was known well in the States? And Ive read the lyrics to the song, here they are:

Leona Lewis-My Hands said:
I wake in the morning
Tired of sleeping
Get in the shower
And my make my bed alone
I put on my make up
Talk into the mirror
Ready for a new day, Without you
And i walk steady on my feet
I talk my voice obeys me

I go out at night
Sleep without the lights
And i do all of the things i have to
Keeping you on my mind
But when i think I'll be alright
I am always wrong cause

My hands
Don't wanna start again
My hands
No they don't wanna understand
My hands
They just shake it try to break whatever piece i may find
My hands
They only agree to hold
Your hands
And they don't wanna be without
Your hands
And they will not let me go
No they will not let me go

I talk about you now
And i do without crying
I go out with my friends now
I stay home all alone
And i don't see you everywhere
And i can say your name easily
I laugh bit louder
Without you

And i see diferent shades now
And i, I'm almost never afraid now
But when i think i'll be ok
I am always wrong cause

My hands
Don't wanna start again
My hands
My hands
My hands
They only agree to hold
Your hands
No they don't wanna be without
Your hands

Sometimes i wait
I see them reaching out for you
Quietly break
whatever sheilds i spent so long building up
I cannot fake
Cause when they cry im almost broken
They miss holding my baby

My hands, My hands

My hands
Your hands
They don't wanna be with us?

I agree, they dont sound very Final Fantasy, but maybe the lyrics have some connection to Lighting? Or Snow and Sarah? Not sure. I could be reading to much into this lol.

I haven't posted anything on this site for a while, but I just heard the news and need to say something about it.

I personally feel like this is a bad move. First of all, the song is just terrible. It's lacking in creative musicality and originality. The song has a girl singing a fairly decent melodic line over an overdriven backbeat. Gee, I wonder where I've heard that before? But all that aside, I feel like this is an insult to the western fans of Final Fantasy. A mistake that Square made a long time ago, and is making once again.

Square is trying to 'westernize' a game that doesn't need to be. I think they feel like the western audience just won't get the game or won't feel comfortable playing the game if they don't hear music they're familiar with. But they're missing the point that if FF fans overseas didn't want to be exposed to eastern culture, they wouldn't buy the fucking game. Part of FF is the eastern influences that Japan puts on it. I feel like they think we can't enjoy the song they chose for the Japanese version.

I get that Square wants to keep reinventing itself and keeping things new and fresh. That's fine. I just think that the western audience deserves to experience the same game as the eastern audience, barring japanese to english translation. One may argue that language translation falls under the same category as this new song. 'Translating' the theme song to the western equivalent. I think this is bullshit. Music is universal. It always has been. This type of 'translation' isn't mechanical like language, it's cultural (and yes, I know language is part of culture, but there are degrees of cultural intensity). I think, that if anything, this will only alienate western fans and draw a darker line between Square's different audiences.

Well, I supposed we could all look on the bright side. The Japanese version has two theme songs so maybe we'll get two theme songs, with this being the one that's used the least D:

Back