South Africa 2010

Great result for New Zealand, neither goal should have happened really (offside and soft penalty decision respectively) but what the hell. I still love Italy though, international football's panto villains par excellence.

So now that's France, England, Germany and Italy all in varying degrees of danger. Looks like Europe and Africa are on the back foot at the moment, maybe Ivory Coast can halt the trend.

Watched Italy and new zealand and was really dissapointed by the 1-1 tie. It was a great game and Italy had plenty of shots that could have been goals. Also watched ivoire and Brazil. was a good game and Im surprised Ivoire got 1 iN! Still Italy is playing slovakia and they better win. or else they face elimination right?

Italy controls its own destiny. If the Italians win, they're in. Lose and they go home. If it's a draw, they either need Paraguay to win, or to score more goals than New Zealand does.

Brazil takes care of business and moves on to the Round of 16. Ho hum, business as usual. There's a real chance of Brazil v. Spain happening though. That would be a helluva match-up so early in the knockout stage.

GROUP F
Nation . . . . . . . . . W . . L . . D . . Pts . . GF . . GA . . GD
Paraguay . . . . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 1 . . .+2
Italy . . . . . . . . . . .0 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 0
New Zealand . . . . . 0 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 0
Slovakia . . . . . . . . 0 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 3 . . . -2

GROUP G
Brazil . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 2 . . .+3
Portugal . . . . . . . . 0 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0
Cote d'Ivoire . . . . . 0 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 3 . . .-2
North Korea . . . . . .0 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 1 . . . 2 . . .-1

interesting day both on and off the pitch today.

New Zealand were brilliant, Paston surely can't be replaced by Moss the next game despite being originally second-choice. Ryan Nelson was a warrior as usual, but his booking was laughable but the referee was a joke in general. Italy need Pirlo and a Del Piero/Totti. They'll probably get Pirlo for the next game, but they don't have the latter in their squad. I still can't believe they didn't call up Rossi; easily their best player in the Confed. Cup and someone that can score from nothing.

Brazil were great, Fabiano and Kaka are back. Kaka's red was a terrible decision but Brazil won't care, he's banned for a near pointless fixture in which he would've been rested anyway. Looking forward to the likes of Nilmar and Baptista if they play the next game.

As for the disaster at France, I'm just laughing. Quite frankly ridiculous, everyone's to blame and Laurent Blanc has a massive task ahead.

Much to discuss.

First off the Italy / New Zealand game. I hadn't expected New Zealand to get anything from that game, not that it surprised me they did. Their players seemed alot more up for it and had more speed and stamina than those of Italy. A shame really since as much as I want Italy to lose they've always been a quality side, sad to see them not turn up to this World Cup yet.

Brazil / Ivory Coast. :ohoho:

Drogba was never going to get the better of Lucio, especially in a Brazil defense who all flock to blunt the opposition's attack. Fabiano's first goal was a great finish but his second was alot better, albeit accompanied by a plethora of handballs. The third should have wrapped things up but surprisingly Brazil, who usually just hold the ball and see the game out allowed themselves to be caught on the break and concede.

And then there's that red card. Perhaps it serves us right that we've been Rivaldo'd, but it's frustrating that it's happened to our star player. I feel we can still see of Portugal quite comfortably without him but it's definately a kick in the teeth.

That red card was a shocking decision. The level of refereeing has been pretty high this year. I think that's probably been the worst decision of the tournament so far, or maybe Fabiano's double hand ball for his second goal. Still, after tonight's game Brazil have shown they have a whole other level to step up to when they need to. They're going to be tough to beat in the later rounds.

It was a good game, but the sniper in the crowd who kept shooting the Italian players did ruin it slightly. It's also Italy's fault that we don't have an advantage, if Paraguay knew the result of Italy vs Slovakia they might have rested a few players. We'll almost certainly need a win, because as bad as Italy are, they'll probably beat Slovakia, which would mean we'd require a win, which would almost be impossible. However, that making it passed the group stage is still a possibility is quite an achievement.

I hope Chile and Spain win, they look to be the most exciting teams in the World Cup.

I honestly wanted Italy to win :sad3: They had a lot of shots on goal. The New Zealand goalie was pretty good though :hmmm: Still, I thought Italy should have had more then one goal. Ah well. Congrats to NZ.

Brazil totally dominated IVC that one guy could have had a hat trick. XD (don't remember player's name) Maannn that would have been a trip.

Hal we would have decimated you. Look how many shots we had :rage: You guys palyed good and ya we palyed shit also. and you got so fucking lucky it wasnt even funny. But anyway you will lose against Paraguay. And we will beat slovakia and advance :griin:

The bookies were offering to pay 81 to 1 on Slovenia moving on from the groups. Obviously it was a mistake and it got changed to 1.70 to 1 a few minutes later. Still I would've loved to have gotten in on that.

GROUP G
Brazil . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 2 . . .+3
Portugal . . . . . . . . 1 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 7 . . . 0 . . .+7
Cote d'Ivoire . . . . . 0 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 3 . . .-2
North Korea . . . . . .0 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 1 . . . 9 . . .-8

GROUP H
Chile . . . . . . . . . . .2 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 2 . . . 0 . . .+2
Spain . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .+1
Switzerland . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0
Honduras . . . . . . . .0 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 3 . . .-3

Welcome to the World Cup, Spain. Glad you finally decided to show up. Ibid, Portugal.

I watched North Korea get their asses kicked it was pretty funny. But heh I dont like portugal at all. Spain played good and villa was a star. Not that I was going for anyone though :hmmm: So more games tommorow :yay:

I'm kinda amused that North Korea is even in this stage of the competition at all. Nevertheless, 7-0 is quite an amusing score to use to boost their morale, :D

The bookies were offering to pay 81 to 1 on Slovenia moving on from the groups. Obviously it was a mistake and it got changed to 1.70 to 1 a few minutes later. Still I would've loved to have gotten in on that.
My friend put $10 on Shane Smeltz to be first scorer at 22/1.
North Korea:rage:

Haha France is losing 2-0 to South Africa. It makes me wonder why they are such a shit team without Zidane lol. Heh France will be eliminatedThey seem to play really bad lately. And Uruguay is winning against Mexico. 1-0

Final score 2-1 and both SA and France are eliminated lol

Last edited:
GROUP A
Uruguay . . . . . . . . 2 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 7 . . . 4 . . . 0 . . .+4
Mexico . . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .+1
South Africa . . . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 5 . . .-2
France . . . . . . . . . 0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 4 . . .-3

GROUP B
Argentina . . . . . . . 3 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 9 . . . 7 . . . 1 . . +6
South Korea . . . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 5 . . . 6 . . -1
Greece . . . . . . . . . 1 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 5 . . -3
Nigeria . . . . . . . . . 0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 3 . . . 5 . . -2

Disappointing that Nigeria couldn't put it together and make it into the Knockout Round. But that was an entertaining game all the way around. Should be quite a bit of drama tomorrow, as both Group C and Group D have a whole lot of possibilities.

USA! USA! USA!

I'd definitely rather it were South Korea qualifying from that group. Nigeria are a good team on their day, but they haven't really had their day in a good few years now. Yakubu must be feeling terrible after missing the sitter of the tournament.
I was disappointed by Greece. They (presumably) knew they had to really take the game to Argentina and try to force a win, yet they seemed happy enough to sit back and let Argentina come at them.

The Dоctor;759618 said:
I'd definitely rather it were South Korea qualifying from that group. Nigeria are a good team on their day, but they haven't really had their day in a good few years now. Yakubu must be feeling terrible after missing the sitter of the tournament.

Probably, though if he buries that home, he probably doesn't get the PK that followed. So it kind of balanced out.

The Doctor said:
I was disappointed by Greece. They (presumably) knew they had to really take the game to Argentina and try to force a win, yet they seemed happy enough to sit back and let Argentina come at them.

That's been Greece's M.O. since they won Euro. They want to win every game 1-0 by scoring on a counterattack. I'm not sure they know how to do anything else. But you're right, it was a disappointing performance.

Back