South Africa 2010

I think Netherlands will win this...............You can't judge a team by what they've done in the past........Spain have been brilliant in Euro 2008........But this year Spain have been playing weaker than that(maybe it's Torres)..........But really Holland with the likes of Robben and Sneijder,I think they'll just win this one...........Sure you could say Spain have Xavi,Iniesta etc..........but they really have'nt been doing that good to what they do in the league(except Villa)...........but right now the best player's in the final are in the Netherlands.........

My prediction: Holland 2-1 Spain

This final isn't that exciting as I expected to be. The first 45 minutes were... mweh.
Sure they had some chances but the game from yesterday was more exciting.
I actually have a feeling Spain will win this. The Netherlands didn't play that well in the first half.
It's also pretty frustrating that the Netherlands have 5 yellow cards already. What the hell, That one from van bronckhorst didnt make any sense though.
35 minutes to go now.

talk about heavy footed. The dutch are lucky to have 11 men on the field. If it wasnt the final theyd have been sent off for sure

This sucks.. That goal shouldnt have been counted. But ah well, it was expected that Spain would win. The Netherlands should have played way better as well. 8 yellow cards (?) and 1 red was too much.
Spain was just stronger in defence, they constantly had the ball, the Netherlands was only lucky to keep the ball away from the goal most of the time. Still I hoped for penalties.

Pretty glad Spain won it. Aside from England, I was rooting for them in the competition. Good on them. I didn't watch the match, but heard snippets of it in the other room.

the best team won

:ryan:

Mod Edit: Can we please try to cut down the spammy posts in a post count section? Thank you.

Yeah the best team won, I was dismayed with the rather rough approach from the Dutch today, they were capable of much better. I like Iniesta, and was pleased to see him score. Plus I like Del Bosque.

And it also means the octopus was right again, and that the only undefeated team at this World Cup was New Zealand! :)

I didn't bother watching it either because Spain was more or less the favourite in this final standoff. Congrats to Spain and all, even though I kind of wanted the Netherlands to surprise us all with a victory - and for that octopus to get it wrong.

And I've heard that dirty tactics were used by the Dutch. Frankly, I find that hilarious. :lew:

GROUP A
Nation . . . . . . . . . W . . L . . D . . Pts . . GF . . GA . . GD
Uruguay . . . . . . . . 2 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 7 . . . 4 . . . 0 . . .+4
Mexico . . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .+1
South Africa . . . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 5 . . .-2
France . . . . . . . . . 0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 4 . . .-3

GROUP B
Argentina . . . . . . . 3 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 9 . . . 7 . . . 1 . . +6
South Korea . . . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 5 . . . 6 . . -1
Greece . . . . . . . . . 1 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 5 . . -3
Nigeria . . . . . . . . . 0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 3 . . . 5 . . -2

GROUP C
United States . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . +1
England . . . . . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 5 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . +1
Slovenia . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 3 . . . 0
Algeria . . . . . . . . . 0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0 . . . 2 . . . 0

GROUP D
Germany . . . . . . . . 2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 1 . . .+4
Ghana . . . . . . . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 0
Australia . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 6 . . .-3
Serbia . . . . . . . . . .1 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . .-1

GROUP E
Netherlands . . . . . .3 . . 0 . . 0 . . . 9 . . . 5 . . . 1 . . .+4
Japan . . . . . . . . . .2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 4 . . . 2 . . .+2
Denmark . . . . . . . .1 . . 2 . . 0 . . . 3 . . . 3 . . . 6 . . .-3
Cameroon. . . . . . . 0 . . 3 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 2 . . . 5 . . .-3

GROUP F
Paraguay . . . . . . . .1 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 5 . . . 3 . . . 1 . . .+2
Slovakia . . . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 4 . . . 5 . . . -1
New Zealand . . . . . 0 . . 0 . . 3 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 0
Italy . . . . . . . . . . .0 . . 1 . . 2 . . . 2 . . . 4 . . . 5 . . .-1

GROUP G
Brazil . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . 0 . . 1 . . . 7 . . . 5 . . . 2 . . .+3
Portugal . . . . . . . . 1 . . 0 . . 2 . . . 5 . . . 7 . . . 0 . . .+7
Cote d'Ivoire . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . .+1
North Korea . . . . . .0 . . 3 . . 0 . . . 0 . . . 1 . . . 12 . .-11

GROUP H
Spain . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 4 . . . 2 . . .+2
Chile . . . . . . . . . . .2 . . 1 . . 0 . . . 6 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .+1
Switzerland . . . . . . 1 . . 1 . . 1 . . . 4 . . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0
Honduras . . . . . . . .0 . . 2 . . 1 . . . 1 . . . 0 . . . 3 . . .-3

1A: Uruguay - 2
2B: South Korea - 1 . . . . . Uruguay - 1 (4-2)

1C: United States - 1 . . . . Ghana - 1 . . . . . . . . Uruguay - 2
2D: Ghana - 2

1E: Netherlands - 2
2F: Slovakia - 1 . . . . . . . . Netherlands - 2 . . . Netherlands - 3 . . . Netherlands - 0

1G: Brazil - 3 . . . . . . . . . . Brazil - 1
2H: Chile - 0

1B: Argentina - 3
2A: Mexico - 1 . . . . . . . . . Argentina - 0

1D: Germany - 4 . . . . . . . Germany - 4 . . . . . . . Germany - 0 . . . . Spain - 1
2C: England - 1

1F: Paraguay - 0 (5-3)
2E: Japan - 0 . . . . . . . . . . Paraguay - 0 . . . . . . . Spain - 1

1H: Spain - 1 . . . . . . . . . . Spain - 1
2G: Portugal - 0

the best team won

:ryan:

Mod Edit: Can we please try to cut down the spammy posts in a post count section? Thank you.

are you serious?

The heavy tackles from the dutch certainly put me right off them. I was watching the game wanting spain to win though i cant say i was that bothered either way.
The dutch approach though was just poor and put me right off.

Spain well they probably did deserve it..........But the Netherlands like you say were lycky to have 11 players on the pitch for the full 90 minutes........up until Heitinga was sent off........and talking about that the refereeing from the englishman was bad :gasp:........even with the pressure of it being the world cup final,the game was difficult.In other words if that was a normal game.........I'm sure the ref would of had mistakes in there definately,but the two linesman did good.

GO SPAIN!!! :yaoi:

I think Spain will win today 1-0. I hope it's more exciting than that but finals in recent World Cups have tended to be cagey affairs.

Spot on. :P

It was exactly that. I thought Alan Hansen on the BBC was extremely harsh though. He said it could have been bad for football if Holland won. Would he have said that to their faces? How else can you play against Spain? They keep the ball so well you have to break it up... To be fair though, they were lucky to stay at 10 men.

Holland did play overly rough in this game and went too far, but I agree that Hansen is a pompous git when he says stuff like that. He never seems to mind when teams play dirty in the Premiership.

I can't understand how the Dutch can have been appealing for the free kick on Elias when Spain broke for the goal; it was a very soft challenge, and especially after some of the challenges they've gotten away with throughout the tournament.

No one can deny that the better team won it in the end really.

Holland did play overly rough in this game and went too far, but I agree that Hansen is a pompous git when he says stuff like that. He never seems to mind when teams play dirty in the Premiership.

I do agree they played rough,but that is the biggest sporting tournement..........plus a yellow card is nothing,I'm not sure if you missed a game here if you got one,but even if you did miss a game it would probably be a friendly. The Netherlands,in my opinion wanted it more than the Spanish(even though they played better and deserved it).

I don't know why Holland were complaing about Elias...........They should be complaing about the free-kick which was deflected off xavi,I think. The referee got it wrong and gave a Goal-kick to Spain..............and seconds later Holland thought Elias was fouled and Spain went on the counter and on to score...........But if they got the corer kick this never would of happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final game was really something. It was such a great game and in the end when Iniesta did it for spain, even though I wanted the Netherlands to win. It was so exciting. Spain dominated possession but Netherlands played excellent as well and the ball almost went in but the Netherlands player tripped. So It could have benn 1-1 and brought to shootouts. But what really surprised me was spain missing the penalty :wacky:

Dude when Netherlands got a red card. Spain Missed their penalty kick. It could have been 2-0 :wacky:

Back