South Africa 2010

I second what Bez said, the idea that Harry Redknapp could be a success at major tournaments with England is laughable. You get someone like Redknapp in and nothing at all will change and people will be having this same argument in 2012/2014 etc.

It's looks like a tight game, but I hope Spain pull off the win. I really enjoy watching them play so I hope they continue in this competition. I think for all their good football, Portugal will hit them on the break and possibly get 2.

It is a shame that these two good teams are meeting so early though.

EDIT: :mokken: Well nevermind.

Last edited:
Spain complete the quarter-final lineup. Portugal frustrated them for ages, but once Spain got the goal they bossed the game somewhat afterwards.

Well Japan lost in penalty kicks... Kinda sucks, I was rooting for them =/

And i'm glad Spain won over Portugal 'cause I like Spain :D

So the QFs is:

Germany VS. Argentina

Netherlands VS. Brazil

Uruguay VS. Ghana

Paraguay VS Spain

Spain definitely have the best route of all the teams in the quarterfinal. Looking forward to Thursday for the first round of games.

His achievements to date are bankrupting Southhampton and Porthsmouth.
I'm pretty sure it's the chairman who controls the finances, not Redknapp, if the chairman is willing to give Redknapp money he doesn't have then it's his problem and neither does Redknapp negotiate what's in player contracts, if Portsmouth/Southampton want to give wages to players they can't afford then they're asking for everything they get.

Spurs were a good team before he joined, Martin Jol did as good a job with a weaker team.
He took Spurs to the Champions League next season, something Martin Jol failed to manage. He also took Spurs from winning 38% of games under their previous manager Ramos, to 52% under Redknapp. He clearly improved the squad. He also won the Carling Cup under Portsmouth who are were far weaker than Spurs.

Only four of those English players make the first XI and only two of them get into England Squads
4 players can make the starting 11 but only 2 can get into a 23/30 man squad. :ohoho:

--
As for Spain, they won't win. Brazil should comfortably beat them if they're at their best.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's the chairman who controls the finances, not Redknapp, if the chairman is willing to give Redknapp money he doesn't have then it's his problem and neither does Redknapp negotiate what's in player contracts, if Portsmouth/Southampton want to give wages to players they can't afford then they're asking for everything they get.
It's the manager who controls the wages and transfer fees. Southhampton was never a particularly well run club, but it certainly wasn't in danger of going into administration, the same is true of Portsmouth. How you can say Redknapp is free of blame is beyond me.

He took Spurs to the Champions League next season, something Martin Jol failed to manage. He also took Spurs from winning 38% of games under their previous manager Ramos, to 52% under Redknapp. He clearly improved the squad. He also won the Carling Cup under Portsmouth who are were far weaker than Spurs.
He improved them by buying players. He can't buy need England players. The Spurs team that beat Arsenal cost about 30 million pounds more. His Portsmouth team only beat MU to win the FA cup.

4 players can make the starting 11 but only 2 can get into a 23/30 man squad. :ohoho:
There is nothing difficult to understand there. 4 players in the spurs starting XI and only two or 3 make an England Squad.

It would be like Hiring McClaren again. A guy with no tactical knowledge with no real achievements. Some guy who finished fourth and won the FA cup compared to a guy who won the best league in the world. Like Graye said, it's typical English arrogance, because he's english he's good. Just like John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard etc etc.

It's the manager who controls the wages and transfer fees. Southhampton was never a particularly well run club, but it certainly wasn't in danger of going into administration, the same is true of Portsmouth. How you can say Redknapp is free of blame is beyond me.
So it's not the chairman who allows the manager to have the money, and it's not the CEO who overlooks everything including transfers and contracts, and it's not the accountant who has to make sure the books are reasonably balanced. I'm blaming Ferguson for Man Utd's almost £1 billion debt and Benitez for the reason Liverpool have no money. :ohoho:

He improved them by buying players. He can't buy need England players. The Spurs team that beat Arsenal cost about 30 million pounds more. His Portsmouth team only beat MU to win the FA cup.
His Portsmouth side "only" beat Man Utd. :rolleyes: Of course he is going to buy players, it's the only way to compete at the highest level, but, he bought good players and most importantly he got the best out of those players.

There is nothing difficult to understand there. 4 players in the spurs starting XI and only two or 3 make an England Squad.
There were more Spurs players in the England team than from any other club, even without Dawson they would have the highest representation of players alongside Chelsea and 4 of 11 isn't exactly bad either.

It would be like Hiring McClaren again. A guy with no tactical knowledge with no real achievements. Some guy who finished fourth and won the FA cup compared to a guy who won the best league in the world. Like Graye said, it's typical English arrogance, because he's english he's good. Just like John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard etc etc.
You've clearly never watched McClaren at club level before he was appointed England manager, he and Redknapp are nothing alike, their approach is completely different. McClaren adopted a defensive approach with England throughout the qualifiers, it failed. Capello adopted a defensive approach throughout the WC, it failed. Sven understood the English game, didn't adopt a defensive approach and we actually had moderate success and unlucky not to reach the semi-final at least once, if not twice in two consecutive tournaments. Redknapp doesn't adopt a defensive approach either.

And maybe it might just be because he understands the English game? Whether or not he would be good remains to be seen. And I'm pretty sure no one is defending those sorts of players since pretty much everyone in the country has pointed out they were awful. And you could just as easy argue with "English arrogance" that people are just as ignorant to Capello's shortcomings.

So it's not the chairman who allows the manager to have the money, and it's not the CEO who overlooks everything including transfers and contracts, and it's not the accountant who has to make sure the books are reasonably balanced. I'm blaming Ferguson for Man Utd's almost £1 billion debt and Benitez for the reason Liverpool have no money. :ohoho:
Two different kinds of debt. Ferguson didn't spend 1 Billion on transfers, nor did Benitez. Those are the owners debts. So it's not redknapp's fault because he was enabled. If they hadn't allowed him to spend as much as he liked he'd have left, leaving them in debt anyway without and with a completely new manager.

His Portsmouth side "only" beat Man Utd. :rolleyes: Of course he is going to buy players, it's the only way to compete at the highest level, but, he bought good players and most importantly he got the best out of those players.
Yes, only. The only other decent team they beat would have been Ipswich. It was a cup run, he beat MU and some Championship and League one teams.
He bought his players from Portsmouth. He gets the best out of some players, the rest he completely alienates; Darren Bent, David Bentley, Roman Pavyluchenko etc etc.

There were more Spurs players in the England team than from any other club, even without Dawson they would have the highest representation of players alongside Chelsea and 4 of 11 isn't exactly bad either.
And if they there were no injuries, only Lennon, Defore and Crouch would make the squad.

You've clearly never watched McClaren at club level before he was appointed England manager, he and Redknapp are nothing alike, their approach is completely different. McClaren adopted a defensive approach with England throughout the qualifiers, it failed. Capello adopted a defensive approach throughout the WC, it failed. Sven understood the English game, didn't adopt a defensive approach and we actually had moderate success and unlucky not to reach the semi-final at least once, if not twice in two consecutive tournaments. Redknapp doesn't adopt a defensive approach either.
It's similar because they'd be hired for the same reasons. English and moderate success.
It's interesting that you mention Sven, because he's not an attacking manager. He's fairly defensive, he also spent a lot of time in Serie A. England were terrible in 2006 and deserved to go out. Capello didn't adopt a defensive approach, he played with a holding midfielder as most teams do. Just because the team were terrible doesn't mean he was defensive, Cole and Johnson always looked to get forward rather than defend.

And maybe it might just be because he understands the English game? Whether or not he would be good remains to be seen. And I'm pretty sure no one is defending those sorts of players since pretty much everyone in the country has pointed out they were awful. And you could just as easy argue with "English arrogance" that people are just as ignorant to Capello's shortcomings.
Most countries don't have a definitive style, it's influenced by their manager. Dunga's Brazil are extremely pragmatic, not an exciting team samba-ing about.

The arguments about Redknapp are pointless in one sense, as I don't see the FA looking to him as England manager. I don't think they especially like him, and whilst he has tax avoidance allegations hanging over his head they certainly won't touch him with a ten foot pole. With Hodgson off to Liverpool, the FA might feel tempted to keep Capello on for Euro 2012 as there's a lack of any decent candidates to replace him right now (and it means they don't have to do a £10 million payoff).

My (woefully inaccurate) quarter-final predictions:

Holland 1 Brazil 3
It's hard to know what to make of Holland at the moment, and this is their first real test. They'll probably be more comfortable with underdog status anyway. But as one person said, a Brazil side who can defend and who can still score pretty good goals when they feel like it is a bit like a Dalek that can fly - really, really unfair. I tipped Brazil at the start and that's one prediction I feel like sticking with.

Uruguay 2 Ghana 1
Uruguay should have too much for Ghana, unless they make the mistake again of trying to sit back and defend a 1-0 lead.

Germany 3 Argentina 2
Having said they were going out in the last two games they played, I now do an about-face and say that I think Germany can shock Argentina here. I'll also stick my neck out further and say this could be the proverbial Game of the Tournament, with two free-flowing teams with slightly suspect defences.

Paraguay 0 Spain 1
I can see Paraguay trying to play for penalties in this one, especially as they seem to be taking the Ireland 1990 route to success (one win in four games, two goalless draws on the trot). Spain will have to be patient like they were last night, but one moment of magic can win them the game.

Last edited:
As for Spain, they won't win. Brazil should comfortably beat them if they're at their best.

Spain have no incision. Although I tipped Portugal to sneak it, neither team took full control of the game. It really just stagnated because Portugal were content to sit behind the ball and the Spaniards were happy to shoot from distance.

I expect Argentina to see off Germany and meet Spain in the Semis. Spain won't be able to play a high line because of Messi and will really suffer against them.

Brazil look unstoppable on the other hand. I don't think it matters who they play. They're the most complete team in terms of physicality, technique and mentality.

As for the Redknapp debate, I do believe it is the board's job to balance the finances of the club and the Manager's to make sure the team performs. Of course, if you afford the Manager the money, you yourself are the one to blame for short comings.

Most countries don't have a definitive style, it's influenced by their manager. Dunga's Brazil are extremely pragmatic, not an exciting team samba-ing about.

I don't quite understand what you and many others refer to as 'samba-ing' but it's a dance in Brazil, not a footballing style.

I'd say we are exciting. We've shown the best close control in the tournament, the most incisive passing, great dribbling and flair, a huge desire to go forward and an even greater one to win. What team is more exciting?

North Korea sat behind the ball, the Ivory Coast sat behind the ball, Portugal sat behind the ball. Chile came out and played us and had few opportunities.

The style you might be referring to doesn't exist any more.

Well now that I've gotten over my country's elimination via penalties...

I'm proud of Japan. I never imagined we'd be in the best 16 this year given our group and recent showings. The game v Denmark is one that I'll never forget and I'm already looking forward to 2014. We have a new no.1 keeper in Kawashima and a new star in Honda. All we need now is a striker, which has been a problem for years.

As for the rest of the tournament, Brazil indeed look the strongest. The way they break on the counter attack will be too good for most teams and their defence is rock solid. Fabiano looks to be back to his best and Kaka is gradually looking quicker and sharper. Whereas Spain are more attractive when they succeed with their moves, Brazil are more decisive and ruthless. I'd much rather watch them over Spain any day. To quote the great Hidetoshi Nakata, it's like comparing spears (Spain) and stones (Brazil); with a spear you have to throw it right but the damage is huge, while with stones you always damage the opponent no matter how you throw.

Brazil v Holland will be interesting, in particular Robben v Bastos; best right-sided winger against a make-shift left back. How De Jong handles Robinho will also be good to watch.

I don't quite understand what you and many others refer to as 'samba-ing' but it's a dance in Brazil, not a footballing style.
It's not a literal expression it's a by-word for a free flowing attacking style of play. I was saying that national playing styles are mostly untrue.

I'd say we are exciting. We've shown the best close control in the tournament, the most incisive passing, great dribbling and flair, a huge desire to go forward and an even greater one to win. What team is more exciting?
I disagree. They were none of those things against Chile. The first goal was similar to American Football, Lucio and Fabiano preventing and Chileans from getting near Juan, the second was a counter attack. Dunga's ideal starting XI includes Silva and Melo. He includes both so that they can retain possession and counter attack.

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2010/FabioCapello_0207

Club England Chairman Sir Dave Richards said: “We are all still extremely disappointed at our performance in South Africa, and we believed it was important that we took some time to reflect on everything in a calm and considered manner back in England. After fully discussing our performance we remain convinced that Fabio is the best man for the job.

“He went into the World Cup with a reputation as one of World football’s finest managers and we are confident Fabio will benefit from his first international tournament experience and this will undoubtedly make us all stronger for the Euro 2012 campaign.”

That settles that then.

Also, doubts over Messi for tomorrow's game against Germany? Apparently he's been suffering from "cold-like symptoms" and may not be fit enough to start.

Impressive comeback from Holland today, Brazil were threatening to overwhelm them at times in the first-half but they turned it around and Brazil imploded somewhat after they went behind.

wow.... Uruguay v Ghana: Best match of the tournament so far, clearly. Great goals, red card, missed penalty, worst penalty ever by Mensah, cheeky winning penalty. Fantastic.

That was a brilliant ending to the game. I feel so sorry for Gyan though :(

Loved the penalty that won it, those are always great when they're done successfully.

Wow, Holland surprised me, at the beginning of the match I thought we were screwed. Also thought at the beginning that Brazil would win because the performances in the previous matches weren't that great. Never thought it would get tied either and eventually making another goal.
Normally don't watch WC but now I can't wait for Holland v Uruguay

The Ghana vs. Uruguay match was intense in extra time and towards penalities. I wasn't fully watching it since I was at the pub with some friends, but I caught the last parts of it. The penalties were probably the highlight of the competition so far for me.

Loved the penalty that won it, those are always great when they're done successfully.

hehehehe

I was so pleased with Uruguay winning at the end given the Ghana wankfest the whole of ITV were participating in. Would've liked a bit more neutrality, but what do you expect from ITV...

Back