South Africa 2010

Cannot include modern technology Sepp Blatter?
Things like goal line technology won't happen for a long, long time. Blatter hates to be wrong and he probably knows he'll be criticised for not introducing it earlier and being stubborn about not needing it if he introduced it now. Plus, he doesn't want to spend money on it. Problem being, FIFA is corrupt so he'll continue to financially rig the votes and be President for a long time, unfortunately.

The thing with changes is that they're supposed to be applied at all levels. So you can have 2 extra linesmen in League 1 & 2, but not video technology. It does seem extraordinary that in a world cup which FIFA will make 1.7 billion from, they can't spend some one video technology. There was a situation in the confederations cup when a decision was obviously changed after the fourth official had looked at a tv replay. Afterwards Sepp Blatter was raging and, I think, had all the tvs taken out.

England don't have world class players. 2005 was the last time that an English player was in the top three. Wayne Rooney is England's best player and he's certainly not great enough to transform a team. There's also players in the team like Matthew Upson, Jermaine Defoe, Wright-Philipps, Joe Cole etc who aren't Champions League Standard.

The Dоctor;762999 said:
I don't quite see how that's an argument at all.
My point is the Italian league shouldn't all of a sudden be hailed as a great league just because a team from their country won the champions league when a lot of it was primarily down to Mourinho as it was with Porto. We've tried an Italian manager. He wasn't good enough. Simple. Capello had his FA talks today, hopefully they'll sack him within the next 2 weeks. :ohoho:

If not Capello, then who? Harry Redknapp? Roy Hodgson? Mark Hughes? None of them could do it at international level because they lack the experience in the big game. Hodgson has done fantastic things with Fulham, as has Redknapp with Tottenham, but if they were to take over for England they'd soon realise it's a totally different game.
The only real replacement would be someone like Mourinho, who has a clear tactical plan everywhere he goes, but I can't see him leaving Real Madrid just yet. Maybe in 12 months time when they decide they don't want him anymore...

Sacking Capello now would mean huge compensation just like Sven. Can the FA afford that? will it be worth it? Also getting someone like Redknapp wouldn't be cheap either unless Spurs are nice.

The FA were idiots when they removed the clause that allowed them to get rid of Capello for free after the World Cup when Inter became interested. They're now exposed to another massive payout to remove an unwanted manager. Capello is a smart man for making this happen.

Just make him prove himself in the next two years, then get Guus Hiddink after that. That would be my ideal choice. Or, like Doc said, Mourinho when he get's sacked by Real (which is obviously going to happen).

On the otherhand a more entertaining choice would be to get the MOTD team of Linekar, Shearer, Hansen and Dixon as manager for a laugh.

To be honest, I'd quite like to see Stuart Pearce get the job. He doesn't have the pressure of living up to a big reputation, since he doesn't have one yet. However he did well with the U21s, and he's been part of the set up for a while now so he knows people and presumably has a strong working relationship with both the back room staff and the players.

How about holding the players accountable? They seem to be untouchable and the manager gets all the stick. I can't see any manager coming in and suddenly making England a World Cup winning team because you don't/hardly get quick fixes in International football. It's not like you can go out and buy good players.

It's a cycle. England disappoint > Don't hold players accountable > Sack manager and get a new one > repeat. The pundits never entertain the option that England don't have the players to do it.

Start building up from grass roots and get real about the situation. England don't produce young talent like other countries.

I have no sympathy for English football these days. Arrogant and not doing anything different to try and change the situation.

Oh dear... :lew: I should move onto the WC really, which is more important than England's woes. :lew:

Last edited:
I don't mind who, just not someone who was as tactically flawed as Capello obviously was. I don't doubt his track record, it's fantastic and although the players are just as much to blame some of his decisions in general were found wanting. People seem to always refer back to the qualifiers but playing someone who is ranked 201 in the world is different to playing teams in the World Cup who deserve to be there.

There were already concerns with the squad anyway imo, especially since he said he'll be picking players on form. Carragher, poor most of the season. King, only managed half of Spur's league games. Upson, what? Warnock, what? Carrick, poor most of the season and what? SWP, big what? Heskey, fail. Then you get the omitted players, Bent - scored 25 goals for Sunderland, A.Johnson - kept SWP out of the City squad and far more talented, Dawson - great form all season, Walcott - imo also offers more than SWP.

Then you've got things like why is Gerrard on the left (everyone seems to know this but Capello, why are we trying to match Germany 4-4-2 for 4-4-2 when it hadn't work throughout the group stages against lesser teams, we have players out of positions and Germany were far more fluid which just asked for a disaster. We go in at half time with a hunger for goals and come out trying to contain a team that just wiped the floor with us for 35 minutes. Heskey comes on for Defoe when we have Crouch on the bench as well, who has a top goalscoring record at international level and we need goals etcetc. Then on top of that, we're trying to play a style of football that doesn't suit us in containing and defending. Every team left in the WC play in a way that optimises the best abilities of their players, we didn't.

I don't think anyone would say the players shouldn't be held accountable, they were shit and have been for a long time, but so were Capello's tactics and he still selected said players.

Edit: Our U21s got to the European Cup final last year.

Edit 2: Get rid of arseholes like this:
ashley-cole-pic-screengrab-sky-news-563562230.jpg

Last edited:
Easier to replace one than it is to replace 23.

That is the typical attitude these days. In club football as well.

At the end of the day, the players play football, not the manager. Whilst a manager is a huge part of the team, I don't think a new manager isn't going to make an average England squad world beaters. 40 years of disappointment is a testament to that.

Last edited:
We've tried an Italian manager. He wasn't good enough. Simple. Capello had his FA talks today, hopefully they'll sack him within the next 2 weeks. :ohoho:

Get rid of a manager after one poor tournament, that's sensible. By that logic, England would have ditched Bobby Robson in 1984 (when they failed to qualify for the European Championships) or 1988 (when they lost all three group matches in the European Championships) and 1990 might never have happened. And hey, they've tried many England managers, many of which weren't good enough (Taylor, Keegan, McLaren) and all bar one of which won nothing, so hey I guess England managers are no good either! Simple.

Germany for the cup.

To be honest thisis my first Cup actually following, i usually don;t really care but recently i've been getting into Football. I was a little nervous about the Eng vs Ger match, reading an artical where a goalie says that the match could go either way.

We'll have to see how they fair againast Argentina.

That is the typical attitude these days. In club football as well.
Football is a results based business.

At the end of the day, the players play football, not the manager. Whilst a manager is a huge part of the team, I don't think a new manager isn't going to make an average England squad world beaters. 40 years of disappointment is a testament to that.
Nevertheless, whilst true, Capello picked the team. He stated he would pick players on form, he didn't.
And hey, they've tried many England managers, many of which weren't good enough (Taylor, Keegan, McLaren) and all bar one of which won nothing, so hey I guess England managers are no good either! Simple.
Taylor and Keegan were never good managers at club level either, and McLaren, whilst he's done a fantastic job at FC Twente and won our first major trophy at Middlesbrough, took us to the UEFA Cup Final and out highest placed finish ever, was also tactically flawed. He played defensive negative football which was successful at club level, tried to adapt that to an international level and failed, much like Capello did in the World Cup. Personally, experience or not [the former of which clearly didn't help] I would take Redknapp and I would have took him over McLaren too. He's taken a Spurs squad to the Champions League that has 14 English players.

And England haven't been getting the results. The manager is obviously going to fail if he doesn't have the right players. Even if he picked the players you wanted, they wouldn't have won the WC.
It's obvious to almost everyone. What the FA is doing isn't working. The squad isn't talented enough and more and more people (the general feeling from the blogs and comments I've read) think that developing English football at grass roots level is the way to go.

But that would take far too long for the FA. They have the money to do it, but they can't be arsed waiting. /gets new manager

Fabio Capello to leave England...........Hopefully not...........But I think he will.........If he does,well Harry Redknapp has said he wouldn't mind taking up the job.

Harry Redknapp is probably better than Fab anyway............

He might not of been in charge of any big clubs but what he's done with smaller clubs is even better than wht you can do with bigger clubs.

The English seem to have short memories. Fabio Capello came in after they had just missed out on qualifying for Euro 2008. I'd say making the knock-out rounds of South Africa is an improvement on his predecessor. England should have qualified first from their group and met Ghana, multiple bad decisions against the US granted England more chances to reach first but they squandered every one of them. They met a young German side who outplayed them.

When I was in Brazil, when the national team faltered the pundits wouldn't point to a bad decision here or there, they'd ask why the other team managed to play against us. The US had the same attitude. They were robbed of the winning goal against Slovenia but Donovan's reaction to it was exemplary. If the equaliser had gone in I believe the superior ability of the Germans would still have beaten us.

Brazil have played great throughout the tournament, even against a Portugal side formed up behind the ball and determined to get the draw, despite the mammoth 9 goal advantage on the Ivory Coast. Their price for a lack of ambition is Spain in the next round, who showed similar traits against Chile when they were being outplayed they threw on Fabregas and played keep ball for the final 20 minutes of the game. I'm glad one of the two will be out today. If you're not here to win, get out of the tournament.

Brazil have an easy run to the final. Next up is an out of sorts Holland, then Uruguay/Ghana in the semis. Solid bet for a 6th World Cup win.

Brazil would be my pick for it too. I'd love to see Holland cause an upset and get through to the semis, but they never seem to take their usually excellent group stage form through to the later rounds.
Brazil v Spain for the final, I'd say, with Uruguay playing Argentina in the 3rd place play off.

The Dоctor;763312 said:
Brazil would be my pick for it too. I'd love to see Holland cause an upset and get through to the semis, but they never seem to take their usually excellent group stage form through to the later rounds.
Brazil v Spain for the final, I'd say, with Uruguay playing Argentina in the 3rd place play off.

I reckon it'll be a Brazil v Argentina final :ohoho: Spain seem to lack incision in their build up, only Iniesta can dribble, whereas Messi seems to be capable of destroying defences with one of his penetrative runs. Still, he hasn't managed much against Brazilian defences in the past so I am somewhat confident against him. Dribblers have a harder time against South American teams because they've grown up against skilled players. It's a shame Chile went out yesterday, they played great football throughout the tournament.

If Spain play like they did in the group stages they'll lose to Portugal. Ronaldo will most likely be the most dangerous player on the pitch today and with that tireless industry of his I fancy a Portugal win.

Portugal v Uruguay for third place.

Taylor and Keegan were never good managers at club level either, and McLaren, whilst he's done a fantastic job at FC Twente and won our first major trophy at Middlesbrough, took us to the UEFA Cup Final and out highest placed finish ever, was also tactically flawed. He played defensive negative football which was successful at club level, tried to adapt that to an international level and failed, much like Capello did in the World Cup. Personally, experience or not [the former of which clearly didn't help] I would take Redknapp and I would have took him over McLaren too. He's taken a Spurs squad to the Champions League that has 14 English players.
Harry Redknapp isn't a good manager. His achievements to date are bankrupting Southhampton and Porthsmouth. He's not a manager who is known for his tactics either. Spurs were a good team before he joined, Martin Jol did as good a job with a weaker team. Only four of those English players make the first XI and only two of them get into England Squads.

Back