What do YOU believe?

What Do You Believe?

• Total voters
Did any of you guys watch the documentary THE SPIRIT MOLECULE?
There is apparantly a molecule in everyone's brain that seemingly has no purpose whatsoever...no one knows what it was created for..some scientists think its some kind of reciever that can pick up signals..that would mean there has to be a sender......

That made me think of the end of Maya calendar which has two theories..apocalypse or a new age where people evolve a higher state of mind...maybe that molecule would activate? They say we would be entering a new age when all of the planets are alligned...the end of the Mayan calendar would be an indication.....studies say 2012 or 2025...aproximately ofcourse..

These ages have different names...bronze silver and golden age...its said we are living in the most chaotic age right now as the time of the Pharaohs was the golden age with superb technology..its a fact egyptians were vastly advanced and ahead of their time in that era.

Now these are theories from different docu's , but what really strikes me are some just coincidentally links together like a freeking puzzle...it might be my brain playing tricks cause the human brain always try to identify things and put 1 and 2 together,but it doesnt mean its reality or fact..its perception and even visualisation can be false if your brain isnt working properly..

Also the fact we only use about 10% of our brain......

Wether I believe this or not I find this freeking fascinating..

Deja Vu's are sometimes creepy and one time I had a vivid one....

To answer the OP's question: I take sides with the 31 year old gentleman.

:ryan: The gears never stop turning in this section.

I believe that religion will not be certain until the 'End'. Science will never know where the universe came from. Gnosticism is dead, yet still phantoms every corner of the world.

Agnostic.

Why isn't that up there :mokken:

I am starting to believe the theory or belief in Ancient Aliens. There is too much in the architecture and technology, of ancient times, that modern science does not understand. Also, if you compare Gothic Cathedrals (man made with manual tool) to Egyptian structures, you would confess that the ancient work used advanced technology. Either the ancients were more sophisticated or aliens were involved.

Did any of you guys watch the documentary THE SPIRIT MOLECULE?
There is apparantly a molecule in everyone's brain that seemingly has no purpose whatsoever...no one knows what it was created for..some scientists think its some kind of reciever that can pick up signals..that would mean there has to be a sender......

That made me think of the end of Maya calendar which has two theories..apocalypse or a new age where people evolve a higher state of mind...maybe that molecule would activate?

That's some pretty trippy stuff right there, Ohri. I've heard vaguely about it, but since you have put it in this light I find it very interesting.
The Mayans were f*ckin extraordinary by the way :D They developed advanced astronomy looong before we even ventured upon it.
Dating all the way back to 6000 years ago, no doubt.

And besides, this thread is about what each of us believes, not a debate about whether what we believe is right or wrong in the eyes of other people. That's a separate thread, I believe. So for all you want to believe about everything as being dead and lifeless at the end, it will not change my beliefs.

Actually, I was just asking for a clarification on what you believe. Just curious which way you approach the multiple gods thing.

Also the fact we only use about 10% of our brain......

The way I hear it, you're only using 10% or so at any given point in time. You actually use the whole thing, just not all at once (after all, language centers are going to be out of use when you're not doing anything involving language, for example).

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp talks about it a little.

Agnostic.

Why isn't that up there

Probably because it has to do with knowledge, and isn't about belief.

The way I look at it I believe in God my own personal Way I dont need to go to a church or pray to make a connection to god,My belief system also thinks that all the gods in the world are one being,I mean he/she IS God he isent limited to one simple form I think he freely chooses what his form is and people from different Countries see his different form.

The reason i even believe that a Afterlife exsist's is because of Ghosts,Spirits,and People who can see past the Veil of this world and the next

Laugh at me if you want But this is my basic belief

As for Deja Vu Ive had it as well its rare but when I dream,I dream of future events unfortantly its so random I have no control over what i see or when i see it -.-;

If I were alone, this would be a possibility. However, this was a group session, and there were people that were simply observers, buddies from my unit (10th Combat Support Hospital). All that was done was those of us who volunteered to participate went into hypnosis and were asked to describe what we see and what we feel. I saw myself writing a letter with a quill pen, and the name I saw written was signed William Hammond, hence where I got the name of the person.

Interestingly, people have done studies on past life regression, and they found that the more suggestive people were to being hypnotized, the more successfully it worked. There was one group who was told that the hypnotism would not work (and if it had any sort of truth, it wouldn't matter what you believed about it), and interestingly, the success rate dropped to 10%. So what most likely happened was that the people who volunteered most likely weren't skeptics.

Nothing was being suggested to me during my turn, and I had people there that could verify that the hypnotist was not doing anything more than asking me what I was seeing and what I was feeling.

Did you know magic tricks are done in the vicinity of huge crowds of people, ranging from skeptics to typical laymen? And yet, most of them usually never find out how a magician ('scuse me James Randi) I mean "conjurer" does his tricks. Despite that, there's no reason to believe any of those magic tricks are unexplainable phenomena rightly called magic. They're just tricks made to delude us. Nothing more.

And William Hammond isn't a particularly uncommon name. Someone else mentioned a Bridey Murphy during a hypnotism session, and despite all the specific details, they found not a single record of such a person existing. They did find evidence of such a person living near where she lived though. What most likely accounts for these experiences is vivid imagination, fraud and/or memories of past events. You may well believe that the person you thought you saw accurately describes a person that existed, but not every single hypnotism case might be nearly so successful, and there's just no rational reason I can think of for believing any of this is statistically significant.

But if you want to go on believing this, no one is stopping you. I'm just sharing my thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1sgruj
Agnostic.

Why isn't that up there

Probably because it has to do with knowledge, and isn't about belief.

And atheism is? Way to over think.

Agnosticism is a belief, and is credited by it's knowledge. Please do not insult that fact.

And atheism is? Way to over think.

Agnosticism is a belief, and is credited by it's knowledge. Please do not insult that fact.

No, agnosticism is a position on knowledge, not belief. If you want to argue this further, I suggest you take it to the other thread on the definitions of science, theory, atheism, etc.

Remember folks, this is a thread asking what you believe in, not about arguing the definitions of beliefs. Keep that discussion out of this thread and feel free to continue discussing it in a thread that does pertain to such a topic. Thank you.

I don't believe in anything. But I don't disbelieve in anything either. The only thing I can be sure of is myself, but even then I'm not completely sure how sure I can be. The reality of reality is that we understand very little of reality. We really on other people to tell us how the world works, and if it wasn't for some really intelligent people, neither you nor I would appreciate that the world isn't flat, that the earth isn't the centre of the universe, and that the expanse of existence is so enormous and old. What I'm saying is that the dramatic leaps other people have made have allowed us to have opinions on things that we're not really qualified to answer.

For all we know there may be universes and universes juxtaposed alongside our own. Existence as we know it may not be the only acceptable form of existence. There is nothing to prevent a god or gods from existing, even if they exist in a form completely at odds with everything that we understand about the laws of physics. I am an open-minded invdividual, I am hopeful that I can retain and nurture that open-mindedness all the way to my grave. I understand that there are those who are militantly theist or atheist (or other things), but I cannot personally be vehemently pro- or anti- a cause I understand so little about. Ultimately, it's not really worth concerning ourselves with.

Whatever exists exists. Whatever doesn't doesn't. We can always dream. Or hope.

I personally believe in something greater than ourselves. Something with power and knowledge beyond ours. However, I do believe that this higher power is flawed and imperfect, just like humanity itself. I don't think it controls life death or fate etc. While it has the power to influence our lives, it is neither omnipotent or omnipresent.

I believe in the concept of a soul as something that gives us life beyond a heart, brain or mind. I also believe in reincarnation to a degree.

To go into more detail, I do believe firmly in the concept of good and evil. I think there are good acts, and evil acts. I also believe every choice we make in life matters, and reflects on what we can say of ourselves when we die. I think selfish acts, while they don't necessarily damage the soul, change it, just as selfless or well meaning acts change it for the better. I think that any issues or burdens we experienced in one life carry onto the next, and to reach a spiritual state in which we are totally happy with ourselves, we have to deal with these issues.

That's not to say I think we should go through life clinging to the fear of absolution or some kind of "punishment" in the next life. Change should be gradual and natural for us to move onto a new spiritual stage. There isn't a right or a wrong way to reach that. Just live your life and let yourself work towards that as you wish, in my eyes.

The hint of cynicism inside me says that humans will always be flawed to a degree, and because of that, I don't think that this spiritual stage we are working towards should be perfection by any means. Perfection, on the contrary, is something to be avoided because that's a life without any kind of change or excitement. While this may seem shallow, a grey world is a world in which there is no imagination, no thoughts for the future, and no real...thinking outside of the box. It's kinda hard to explain. :lew: But there it is.

i believe that Mitsuki is a big dummy dumb head nubasoar chwistian :awesome:

but really, I'm not religious or spiritual at all. I believe that there's something out there, but I don't see the point in worshiping anything.

But I dunno, I guess somewhere between the worst points of my life, where all this shit was happening to me, I wondered how there could really be a god as benevolent as Jesus Christ.

I'm not really sure what you'd call that, but I'm not at all concerned with religion. :neomon:

Hm...I guess I am a Christian.I believe there is God and the afterlife and there will be an Anti-christ and stuff like that.But I am not a fanatic and I wouldn't like to be.I don't agree with everything Christianity says since some things are rather conservative and maybe they don't make sense in our days.I prefer to have a personal opinion on certain things and try to keep an open mind.
I don't really have a problem with what people believe in as long as it does not because an obsession that they have to push down the throat of other people,or harm others that don't agree with them.But I do have a problem with people that can not accept my beliefs or others' so they find it amusing to insult them for that reason.

I don't "believe" in anything that is of cosmic nature. Well, aside from that verified by science; any subject not verified by science is unknown, and I will not make claims pertaining to that subject.

So, in other words, I'm your basic atheist.

I believe in Rock and Roll and Atheism!

I've been force fed religion as a child and know a liiiiittle bit about it... and have decided that it makes no sense to me.
I actually prefer not to even think about religion because it's such a bother, but when asked what I believe in, I answer with nothing or science.
Science isn't always right but at least people are actively trying to find answers to the questions we'd all like to know.

Also I don't believe in a 'God' who'd do such horrible things to the world (poor Japan!)

I've been an atheist since the age of 15. I don't believe in God or the afterlife. I believe the human experience is ultimately insignificant, and that the only thing that matters in this universe is progress, to move forward. We're not here to reach some kind of personal enlightenment but to make progress. Maybe biological organisms become obsolete at some point in the future, and the torch is passed to artificial lifeforms. Perhaps this has already happened in some other place in the universe, perhaps it has not. There could be species out there that have transcended our conception of existence. As for the beginning of the universe, I don't know. The belief in an omnipotent creator underlines our inability to comprehend infinity, something that's always been there. Maybe the universe has no beginning, it's simply eternal.

I believe the "divine" is within everything, filling all with energy and a force of life. Though I don't believe it to be one sole force, nor do I believe it to be in any way concious or "God-like". I do not believe it to have oversaw the creation of the world, and I do not believe it watches over us and judges us. I simply believe that it is, as are we, as is everything else.

The closest "term" I have found to my beliefs is Pantheism. Here's a quick extract;

"Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical. Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphiccreator god. As such, pantheism denotes the idea that "God" is best seen as a way of relating to the Universe. Although there are divergences within pantheism, the central ideas found in almost all versions are the Cosmos as an all-encompassing unity and the sacredness of Nature."

I don't believe.

Atheism isn't "believing there is no god", by the way. Atheism is lack of faith, or non-belief rather, that there is a god. Perhaps it just seems like a minute difference in phrasing, but it is more than that.

Back