Would you stop playing if you disliked a character?

depends on how many characters i hate....if i hate an entire cast (FF13) then i would "try" to finish it, and eventually stop somewhere where ppl "claim" it gets good.

If its just one or two characters, even if their the main character, i can barethrough it.

If the main character is fundamentally offensive (or annoying) I might stop. But I doubt that would happen, though, with the lead character. Square would not be that stupid (but who knows, maybe soon...)

Honestly I did stop. I was going to start playing FF7 to see what all the hype was, and I couldn't get into it. After only an hours worth I just got so fed up with Clouds antics, I didn't care to continue. This probably isn't helped to the fact that I played and loved the prequel Crisis Core so much, I practically balled at the ending of that game.... (Another reason I cant get into FF7 is I loved Zak as a character, and really wanted him to be with Aerith (Aeris)), and not knowing Cloud is destined for her until after beating Crisis Core, I was really upset at that, and is another reason I can't get into FF7. That which being I wanted Zak+Aerith and not for cloud to take her away from him............ Before of course seeing the ending, and wow. So many emotions crushed D:

I think i Disliked alot almost every character in ff 10 and ff 10-2 but i kept playing because the game is good

There is no way I can ever see myself quitting a game simply because I dont like a character. Hell even if I disliked all of the characters I'd still keep on playing just so I could see how the game wound up finishing. It would take alot for me to not finish a game. The story, gameplay, everything would have to suck massive ass for me to quit -.-

Yes, and I have. (Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII)

Didn't do it for any other game in the Final Fantasy franchise though, and that's not just because some actual time and effort was put into the writing of the rest of the games.

Everybody hates on the characters of XII- I personally had no problem with them. The game is more focused on war rather then characters, so it's understandable that they aren't going to be as complex as let's say, VI or VII.

With VIII, I didn't have too much against the characters, but rather their anti-climatic, quick unraveling halfway through.
VI, VII, and IX are flawless in my opinion as far as characters. With X, however, Lulu was probably the only female out of the bunch who didn't rack my nerves just hearing speak.

People hate on the characters of XIII, but I think the bad bias the game takes really just reaps plain prejudice in that regard.

Oh, and no lol, I would not stop playing a game due to a bad character.

Honestly, there was a lot of characters I disliked when I played the FF series...

But I would never stop "playing" the game just for that silly simple tweak. Not everyone is going to agree with the characters in any game, ya know? Some people like other characters more, some people like characters less. It's all really based on personal preference.

Plus, you don't want to like every character,

otherwise the games would be boring.

Gives you something to bitch about.

Like for insentience, i haaaaaateed in FF-XIII every-time I fought with Vanille,
she thought it'd be cute to moan.

No, shut up.

Be quiet.

Didn't your mother teach you better manners? :mokken:

That's just an example, but still.

Hmm, it's hard to say. Yeah I probably would if it was the main characters I didn't like. A big part of enjoying a game for me is getting attached to the characters and caring how their story ends up. Without that it'd feel a lot more pointless.

Definitely not. I hate half the cast of FFVII, the story is one of my most hated because it felt lazy and weak, but the game itself is a lot of fun. I recently played it through, anyway, just because it's so fun. I feel as though this kind of question falls under if one prefers story or gameplay, but to me that's never been a question, gameplay is what makes a game a game, a story can be a book or movie, so if I wanted a fantastic story, I'd read/watch one of those instead. I stopped playing FFXII and I only liked 2 of that cast, but even then the reason was the gameplay, Characters don't make a game, the gameplay is what makes it a game.

I came close to stopping with X but I did end up picking it again and finishing it. I just really disliked Tidus at that particular moment. The only game I completely stopped was FFXIII but it was more so the game itself and not the cast.

Back