Crisis Core Genesis Or Sephiroth?

Nikkolas

White Mage
Gil
CRISIS CORE SPOILERS

Which do you prefer as an antagonist and character?

(This doesn't just have to do with CC so I didn't put in the mini-section. If I'm wrong and it should go there, apologies)

I take Genesis. His reason for doing what he's doing is very believable: he's a born second-stringer. All his friends are better than him from a creation standpoint and he wants to change his fate. He decides this can be attained in the "Gift of the Goddess" and indeed he does meet the Goddess at the end of his struggle with destiny.

Sephiroth on the other hand? Well he turned to villainy after thinking he was a monstrous creation and descendant of the Ancients. He instantly believed everything he read in some old books and went psychotic.

Then, years afterwards, he disregards his only reason for being evil, saying he's superior to the Ancients and using his formerly revered "Mother" as a puppet.
So, basically, he was rendered with no motivation other than "I'm Evil."

As of Advent Children though he's still aspiring to complete his mother's goal, despite the fact he should know she's not his mother and is the instrument of destruction that killed the Cetra who he once prided himself on being part of.

Yeah...he never made sense.

Well Seph's character is complicating. Also it was Genesis that had a hand in Seph going mad. Genesis was the one that hinted to Seph also being an experiment.
I think you would be extremly upset too if you found out you were nothing but an experiment, a test tube baby. Lied to from birth. Also you have to remember that Jenova's cells probably started taking advantage of Seph at this moment of mental weakness too.
Yes he believed the research ... which stated that Jenova was an ancient and he also read the story of the ancients and Project S ( Project Sephiroth). Also.. from birth he's told that Jenova is his mother - 25 ish Plus years of believing that... its hard to change.
It ends up blending in his head i assume. At this point he's already mad, and wants to avenge the Ancients because the humans ran away from the fight and left the ancients to fight alone. So at this point he wants world destruction ( since humans rule the world)... same as Genesis. Then the whole burning of the village and tossed into the reactor with Jenova's head. The fast-forward 5 years and FFVII starts.
But during those 5 years... He started absorbing Jenova's head and realized that she isnt an Ancient but the Great calamity that was stated in the research - and he realizes certain things and So now he wants to finish "his mother's" job and destroy Gaia.

So first its " I want revenge for my race" then its more " I'm going to follow in Jenova's footsteps and destroy the world."

You got to remember.. he completey lost his mind here... I dont want to say she controlled him... cause it doesnt seem like that but more Influenced him at the start. Also its hinted that his madness in a way made him stronger in those 5 years to the point where HE controls Jenova. Seph controls the Great Calamity that has destroyed other worlds and almost destroy Gaia. And its that sense of him almost being a God-like that makes him a true Villian...
Also you got to remember who his dad was... and equally insane Scientist. Insanity runs in that family I guess >_>;

Youre right .. Genesis is a good villain but at the same time... its too simple. One could argue that its his selfishness, pride and a sense of he deserves more, but thats basic human flaws. In the End Genesis still seems too human to be the true main villain. In the end if i remember right its those flaws and his desire to destroy the world that makes the Goddess reject him. The Goddess - Minerva is suppose to somewhat be the personification of Gaia.

Anyways point is... insanity never makes sense. You arent really suppose to get it. lol Thats why I think Sephiroth will always he one of the most favorite villains. But Genesis is creepy as hell... cause i think Gackt is creepy... although i sometimes love his music. lmao XD

Edit: Its confirmed in the FFVII Ultimania Omega book that Seph does in fact controls Jenova.

Last edited:
CRISIS CORE SPOILERS

Which do you prefer as an antagonist and character?

(This doesn't just have to do with CC so I didn't put in the mini-section. If I'm wrong and it should go there, apologies)

I take Genesis. His reason for doing what he's doing is very believable: he's a born second-stringer. All his friends are better than him from a creation standpoint and he wants to change his fate. He decides this can be attained in the "Gift of the Goddess" and indeed he does meet the Goddess at the end of his struggle with destiny.

Sephiroth on the other hand? Well he turned to villainy after thinking he was a monstrous creation and descendant of the Ancients. He instantly believed everything he read in some old books and went psychotic.

Then, years afterwards, he disregards his only reason for being evil, saying he's superior to the Ancients and using his formerly revered "Mother" as a puppet.
So, basically, he was rendered with no motivation other than "I'm Evil."

As of Advent Children though he's still aspiring to complete his mother's goal, despite the fact he should know she's not his mother and is the instrument of destruction that killed the Cetra who he once prided himself on being part of.

Yeah...he never made sense.

Insanity isn't supposed to make sense, why do I get the feeling you hate Sephiroth :P.

Like someone else in this thread stated, Sephiroth controls Jenova, through her psionic powers he became a god( Bizzaro Sephiroth )

Well, for me, it will always be Sephiroth. In my opinion, Sephiroth is the what bad guys in Final Fantasy are measured too, although I may be slightly biased. He had it all, he did need cold, hard reason to hate, he was insane and feared. The best scene I saw involving him was when I tried to cross the marsh, getting caught by the Zoloum and killed each time before I had a stroke of luck and finally getting across. I go through the door to see that Sephiroth has impaled the other Zoloum on a tree, with ease it seemed. That image was harsh, making me think I was going to have to train for hours to get strong enough to even scratch him. I always associated Jenova as a lap dog to him, a calamity that tried to take over Gaia 2000 years ago was now a lap dog to a former SOLDIER 1st class hero. Sephiroth takes it easily.

I see Genesis as a more human evil and if they have human qualities then they can't make a good villian. A villian has to toss aside all of his human qualities and seem immortal, as Sephiroth does.

I know I'm biased. I don't hate Sephiroth, I didn't mind him in FF7 or Crisis Core, but...

I preffered Crisis Core to FF7, and Genesis seemed much more human. I prefer villains who seem somewhat human, like Vayne, Kefka, Xande, Delita and Kuja.

If you talking about which one is more likable Genesis is imo.If you mean who makes a better villian Sephiroth for sure I mean Genesis was easy to beat and Sephiroth no matter how many times you defeat him he comes back. :monster: Plus Sephiroth is way more evil then Genesis. :P But if you mean which one I like better is Genesis.I love how he quotes LOVELESS.And imo Genesis seems more mysterious (with his past) and he acts more sweet and gentle then Sephiroth.In other words I prefer both of them in different categories but for for this one Genesis wins. :P

Well we have to understand the fact that sephiroth was pretty human at the beginning, he did the hero stuff, believing he was strong, and thus a hero

then he turned bad, because he found out what he was, then decided to do it in the benefit of his mother... so his a momma boy in a way

i prefer genesis truthfully, because we can undertstand his goal better

this is really something to ponder.....
both are quality villians. i think its hard to pick atm... ive grown up with sephy and ive only played through crisis core once so i dont really have a good enough feel for genesis atm.. i will get back to this later after much pondering me thinks

atm id probably lean towards Sephy, he was the template for Uber bad ass villian imo... still genesis's human traits make him quite beleivable,.

i tell you what though, both of them should have been way harder as bosses. specially Sephiroth when you think about how powerful he is

Ok, I've only just started playing Crisis Core and I'm addicted.
I've just reached the bit where you have to fight Genesis after meeting Cloud.
I got killed once now i have to do it again, but anyways.
I've known Sephy for a longer time than Genesis and they are both great villains, but I think Sephy is a better one I'm not sure why but he just is.
But Genesis is a great villain in CC.

I think Sephiroth is the better villain of the two, simply because he seems purely evil, while Genesis with his human qualities doesn't seem as evil. Sephiroth's insanity simply makes him a better villain because you can't truly relate to him.

you have to keep in mind for crisis core ( unlike the original ffs) it has a difficulty setting who here has played it on the most difficult setting ( ME raises hand) and sure its still not impossible to beat them but its harder then you lot give credit for

anyways i agree with shygirlfrumfl

they are both deliciousley evil in their own ways

and as such you cannot compare them

I'm not going to be a conformist (emo D=) and say, Genisis.

Mainly because i find him alot cooler then Seth. His whole thing with 'LOVELESS' and reading out loud is just sexy. :monster:

Sephiroth's goals and intentions were planet-based. He wanted to become one with the Planet and control it with power and insanity. He, however, hadn't deemed himself completely insane. His sense of reason had remained intact, as well as his objectives, motivation, and ideas. Without such organization he would have never gotten as far as the core of the planet.

Also: His violent need to kill anything that stood in his way gave him the cynical nature that truly completed his evil nature and his harsh ways.

Genesis' goals were based on himself and his compelling need to halt the degradation. His views of the world were far less harsh, and after his final battle with Zack, Genesis seemed almost in alliance with him. Didn't try to kill him like Sephiroth definitely would have.

So: Genesis' goals were "himself-based". Sephiroth's goals were Planet, perhaps even universally, based.

I'm going with Sephiroth.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to go for Genesis on the sole fact that during the Mako Reactor scene Genesis completely
screwed Sephiroth mentally with all his talk of him being a 'monster' and 'Project S'
...from that point on Sephiroth went a bit crazyyyyy!
If it was strength wise I'd say Sephy, but Genesis gets my vote for the reason stated about.

Lets see I prefer Sephiroth as an antagonist.

It took me awhile to get used to him being a good guy, but I was much happier with the evil version, so I was pretty happy when he went crazy lol
I know I must sound crazy saying that, but he is my favorite bad guy.

As for genesis I didn't think was evil enough he seemed like he still had morale's

and seems like he still has emotions.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna go for Sephiroth as my favourite.

I dunno why...I'm not fond of either characters, but I think I'd prefer Sephiroth over Genesis because Sephiroth is probaly scarier.

Hm...lets see....
Seems that Genesis only looked for a way to stabilize his body, after he knew that there was no way to do so he decided to take the entire world with him self...Sephiroth lead him self to believe that Jenova was his Mother...and....he thought that the world belonged to him and the Planet should be his and Mother's...
Hm...I'm sorry, I have to go with Sephiroth. He's...well...mislead, but it's not his fault...nyeh, it is, he's the one that decided not to listen...but then again, they basically hid his entire life from him, even the name of his real parents. Can't blame him for misleading him self.
Genesis...I don't even have anything to say about him....maybe I don't know the guy enough to actually say anything, or maybe it's just that....I don't even know really =/
Sephiroth sure ghad a stronger sense of who he thought he was and what he wnated and he wouldn't let anyone stand on his way.
Genesis....changed his goal about maybe two times....in the end...it seems as if he just gave up on his goals.
Sephiroth even to the end of AC still had his goals in mind. =)

eheh...my reasons for liking Genesis more is a bit stupid and shallow compared all of your well thought out reasons...Prepare to roll your eyes...

Genesis is really hot. <.<
sorry.
-cough-
ah but seriously, i like him more because he is just so weird. with the reading out loud and all. what really made me like him is that cut-scene when he was sparring with Sephy. yah sure, he got his ass handed to him but he just looked so badass. yeah i can relate. [not the badassness, the weirdness]

Back