What are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. So far it's been pretty good. A lot of the time in books with first-person narration, if it's an annoying or boring narrator it can put me off a bit, but I actually like Holden and having the story told from his perspective, he has an interesting way of looking at things.

I'm currently reading Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky. We had to read his book Crime and Punishment last year in English class, and I fell in love with the way he writes. This book has a couple of his shorter stories, and each and every one are great. White Nights is also in the same book, and it's a very... realistic love story. Although his stuff was written in 1800's Russia, it's so easy to relate to a lot of the characters problems. Notes From Underground itself is really dense though, it seems, so I'm having some difficulty getting through it. It's like every sentence is steeped in some sort of mystery that needs to be unraveled. But that's half the fun of reading it, of course.

I'm currently reading Pendragon Book 3: The Never War for the 13 billionth time

Mod edit: Can you put more effort into your posts in the future please, such as why you like the book and what has made you read it 13 billions times. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey

Big collection of articles from every issue of 2600. It's huge and cost me $40 a couple of months ago. It's...interesting. Makes me feel young and dumb, but I'm hoping it'll get me interested in computers once again.

Animal Farm by George Orwell

I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I am really enjoying it. About a third of my year 12 history class was spent studying the Russian revolution, so I've really enjoyed Orwell's ever so delicious satire on it.

Still reading the Twilight series, my progress has been very slow however, as I want to hurl all the books out of the window. I've decided to make my English Language coursework a review of the Twilight series, because I have a LOT to say about them, and so I have a reason to actually read them >_>

Also, I'm reading Enduring Love, in English Literature. Compared to a lot of the books I've had to read in an English class - Of Mice and Men being an example here - this one's actually really interesting.

How to be Good by Nick Hornby.

This is the 5th book I've read by him, I rather like his style of writing. It's quite easy to read, no difficult language or anything, but he deals with interesting topics, ones which we can all relate to.
This book is narrated by a woman who is married with kids and believes that since she is a doctor then she is a good person, despite the fact that she is having an affair and is generally a rubbish wife and mother. And her husband, who was previously a very angry man and had his own newspaper column to rant about everything in, meets this spiritual healer who convinces him to start giving all their possessions away and take in a homeless person, which Katie (the wife) objects to, and it makes her question whether she really is a good person. Well, there's much more to it than that, but that's the general theme of the story.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I haven't decided whether I like this book or not yet. I'm about a sixth of the way through so far. I am interested to learn about the world that the story takes place in, I mainly just chose this book because I was looking for a good novel with Dystopian themes and I heard that this book is a classic.

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

Excellent author, I've read the two prior to this and can honestly say it puts you behind the main character (odd thomas's) wheel.

Imagine if you had ESP, along with seeing dead people that can either be poltergeists or friendlies.

If you love thinking there is more in this world than what you see in front of you, I'd suggest these books.

Start with Odd Thomas, then work your way around to the other 4.

R.I.P. Stormy! :P

The Vampire Lestat. I love that char and have read everyone of Anne Rice's books staring him. I enjoy the sheer intamicy in the books. No not the kind you find in romance novels. This is much deeper and tends to be twards men though he's not gay. He just connects with people on a deeper level to the point age and what not don't matter. Though talking to a few people in the past this kind of intamicy is kind of off setting to them. I just can't get enough of it.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

I really like the story, it's like a grown-up fairy tale. I like the language in it, although my main problem with it is that I find it hard to get into with the way he writes. Like with some books when you're reading it you really feel like you're there and can picture everything perfectly, but I don't get that with this. Other than that, I think it's a great book so far.

Harry Potter 7 English version, i allready got the dutch version and read it like a million times, so now i am reading the english ones because the jokes there are alot funnier then in the dutch one... they translated somethings sooo stupid.

Ah I realy love these books, it's magical and there isnt alot of repeating sequels in it so it stays fresh. Every book has another subject in the lead. And still it all stays connected chapeau to JK Rowling(wich I first thought was a guy).

And again Rowling smashes the world with book 7.. She isnt afraid to put Death in a book.
Like Dumbledore and in book 7 Mad-Eye Moody
, but perhaps those elements make it so succesfull with the adults but also with the children.

Othello - Shakespeare

In our English lessons of course, I can't say I'd touch a Shakespeare play outside of class. The storyline in general is great and acting out one of the main parts, personally, is also great...it's just that I can't understand what half the fuckers mean after they've given a massive speech. xD

The long walk, by Stephen King.

I read almost all of his books, some I though were very good, others were... plain. This is on the "good ones" list.
I'm reading it for the third time, because I always find it almost mesmerizing. The story is very simple, but I love how the book focuses on a group of boys, their reasons for taking part in the Walk, how they deal with physical and psychological strain, with the death of the other boys and many other topics. I found it very interesting, focusing a lot on the characters and not really in what's happening around them, unless it has some effects on their toughts or emotions.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I like it a lot. It's about a supposedly utopian world in which people are pre-conditioned and bred in a particular way. It attacks Fordism and the permancey of Victorian social status. The idea is very interesting, by creating a secular religion he allows some humans to play the role of god.
Another thing I like is how British it is, in which the future is depicted so negatively.

Just finished, The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Very good and as usual articulate and meaningful.

Am now re-reading The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck. One of my favorites- beautiful writing of characters and a very intelligent approach to his topics.

I Just finished 'Maos last Dancer' by Li Cunxin and it's a great story about Li Cunxin who grew up in rural china to be a famous ballet dancer.

Philosophy of Film and Motion Pictures, An Anthology

This book is difficult, but film is a subject I'm becoming more and more interested in. I feel like getting through this tome would be incredibly beneficial, but don't know how that's going to go.

Also, rereading Philosophy in the Boudoir by Marquis de Sade.

Enduring Love.

We're reading it in English Literature, and unlike the piece of rubbish book we read last year, in Secondary School - Of Mice And Men - it's actually amazing. It's really fascinating, and it really makes you think. It's gripping, it's creepy and it's very very very hard to put the book down. I'd recommend it to anyone, it's really interesting.

Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal.

I used to know this book by heart when I was 10, and so it's giving me that warm, fuzzy childhood nostolgia feeling, which is taking the edge of the frustration of not knowing wtf anything says. For what this did for me in English (as in, a book that didn't want to make me bash my head fifth grade against the wall) I'm hoping does for me in Spanish.

Mostly the use of dashes, or raya or whatever, is really fucking annoying. Most everything I read in high school Spanish used quotation marks, so I'm totally unused to it and I can't tell what's dialogue and what's not.

Back