What are you currently reading?

Full dark no stars - Stephen King

I'm only 21 pages in so I can't really say much about the book as of yet, but so far it seems good, already had a very in detail murder typical Stephen King style. There are three other stories in the book as well that I'm looking forward to reading.

Money by Martin Amis.

It's a genuinely very funny book, of the few to actually make me laugh rather than smile. One of the few times attempted rape is funny. It's very well written to, Amis actually makes you able to identify and feel sympathy for the main character, which is quite a feat considering that he is loathsome.

I'm currently in the mood for fantasy, so I picked up the fantasy book I read the less on my shelf...

Which is Eragon's second book, Eldest. :/ I really wanna read something else, but I have read every book on my shelve over three million times. *sigh*

I'm also reading a good fantasy, Lord of the Rings. I didn't read it last night, but I have been xD

Brisingr (finished Eldest...), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the sea (the original, giant one xD) and finally, only one of the greatest books ever, The Iliad & The Odyssey!

I have read Odyssey a couple million times and Iliad as well. But its Iliad that I've read the less, so I wanted to read it again. I always loved Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the sea since I was a child, so I had to read the original again. :P

Brisingr...I just picked it because I might as well finished the rest of the books I have of it (not including the guide and the Almanac...I don't really like them >.>)

Essential Ms. Marvel Volume 1

Tom Badguy
MOD EDIT: Can you please put a little more effort into your post? Just giving us a book name is not enough. Tell us if you like it or not, perhaps. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iodine by Haven Kimmel

Not an easy read, I have to admit. One must really read and remember in order to follow the story effectively. There are a few times when she was writing her dream journal that I just lost track of it when I got distracted.

I'm in the middle of reading the Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero (sequel kind of book to the Percy Jackson series).

I've been enjoying it so far, especially for the first book in the new series. I like the new third-person point of view for the three main characters, since you get to to know them a lot more.

I've been hopping between several different books, and haven't really settled on a single one. I recently checked out a book called On Monsters: An Unnatural History of our Worst Fears from the library. It's an interesting book about monsters in myths and such. I only got forty odd pages into the book, but I think I'm going to start reading The Canterbury Tales. I'll probably never finish a book if I don't stick to a single book....

My sisters novel (TBA! Its great though!), Assassins Creed Renaissance (Oliver writes brilliantly!), Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass(The original unabridged), these three currently as well as Othello, Hamlet, Catch-22 & Anna Karenina I read A lot but i hardly ever finish all. All are great books but my favorite at the moment has to be Anna Karenina, because its Russian and I love Russian/Novels.

London Fields - Martin Amis

It's probably more amusing overall than money, but I don't think it is as good. It's about a murder, except that you know who will be murdered and by whom at the very beginning of the novel. It's a mix of comedy and apocalypse. The humour is very black because it is quite funny, but some of the characters are incredibly disgusting.

... I borrowed this book from the library... Not very sure about the title now. It's a sort of book on handwriting analysis. It's quite detailed, and several comments on it suggest that the dedicated handwriting analysis student ought to have this book amongst their collections.

Reading through it, I think otherwise.

Ah. The book's called 'The Definitive Book of Handwriting Analysis'

For one, it feels almost like an attempt to flaunt the writer's vocabulary. Perhaps it isn't easy to get handwriting samples to reflect that particular aspect of the analysis, but in any case, the writer has a tendency to use simply words alone to describe the handwriting.

Words alone is too subjective for something 'definitive', isn't it?

That, and I really have to take issue with the apparently frequent spelling errors. There were some words in it that didn't even exist in any dictionary I had on hand - which includes the online ones -_-

Nevertheless, I suppose this ain't no textbook. Expecting that much out of something like this is probably being too much. Brief references; I suppose that's all this book is good for.

I'm reading Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson at the moment, the seventh of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I have to say, its a lot more enjoyable this time around, because I'm already familiar with the characters. Re-reading it, though, I'm shocked by how little I remember and how much of the foreshadowing I must have missed the first time around.

I was hoping to get the series re-read before The Crippled God, the tenth and final novel, came out in February...so much for that. There is just so much to take in, and I find I'm picking up more than I did the first time I read it...perhaps because the first time I really didn't go much on the events surrounding the Letherii Empire. But there is an immense amount of foreshadowing both from previous books and for the two (possibly three, since I haven't read TCG yet) that follow it, and 1260 pages is not something you can really just skim through...

No Exit - Jean-Paul Sartre

Well it's a play not a novel but an enjoyable read nonetheless. I just finished it a few minutes ago. I thought it was very well put together, there were only 4 characters (1 of which had little dialogue).
You could get a real sense of how everything in the environment seemed to annoy each of the 3 main characters in their own way. The characters were the source of each others torture yet at the same time they all needed each other as a source of self validation.

Last edited:
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Got it after playing the game and I'm glad I did. I liked the game but the book is ten times better IMHO. Well worth giving a read.

No Exit - Jean-Paul Sartre

Well it's a play not a novel but an enjoyable read nonetheless. I just finished it a few minutes ago. I thought it was very well put together, there were only 4 characters (1 of which had little dialogue).
You could get a real sense of how everything in the environment seemed to annoy each of the 3 main characters in their own way. The characters were the source of each others torture yet at the same time they all needed each other as a source of self validation.

Would you say it's as good/better than Nausea? I like Sartre.

Anyway, currently reading; just started Bram Stoker's Dracula today, his way with words is phenomenal, very much so.
Also sill reading Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea.

Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh

I loved Brideshead Revisited, it was one of the most spectacular books I've ever read. Decline and Fall is nowhere near as good, but in its defense, it's a different kind of book. Brideshead Revisited is a serious piece of literature, Decline and Fall is a satire and a social critique. It's quite funny and at times can be quite scathing.

I am currently Reading "A Game of Thrones" By George R.R. Martin.

A game of thrones is the first book in the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" I first got into the book last week because of the TV show that has recently been created on it. The TV show was so good that i was compelled to read the book (everyone knows the book is always better, and if the TV show was that great then how awesome must tbe book be??)

So far I am really enjoying it, the chapters are split up bu character perspectives instead which makes it interesting and you really feel for each individual character this way. The books are based in Medieval times with Magic and dragons, it is about 7 (or 9, I can't remember) kingdoms from the north and south who are fighting to become the next king. I haven't read much of the book but I assume it is like a kingdom musical chairs.

Anyway, really enjoying the book so far!

I have just started reading a book called Drylor The First Artifact. It is an Action/Fantasy book created by Ryan Tomasella. So far it is actually damn good, it is a story about a man that suffers amnesia and struggles to regain his memory. As his memory starts to come back to him he realizes that his brother is an evil S.o.b and he makes it his mission to stop him.

It seems like a fairly generic story line but the author makes it his own. There are tons of twists and turns in the story (mainly when the main character thinks he remembers something from his past he realizes that it was only an illusion that his brother wanted him to think was true.) I must say I am really impressed with this book, then again I read almost anything that involved sword and sorcery. Below is the cover of the book and what the back of the book reads.

Drylor.jpg

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through
an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has
happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail
cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and
halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.
It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he
meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail
cell while deciding his destiny.

As Von’s memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only
one who can protect Drylor—a world that abandoned him—
from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the
truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing
to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet
from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Von’s past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon
realizes the only way he can end his brother’s heartless
massacres is to find him and kill him.

The Song of Albion Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead.

This is a fantasy trilogy revolving around ancient Celtic folklore and mythology. I just finished the first volume, The Paradise War, last night, and I'm going to start reading the second book today. I rather like this series so far. It was recommended to me by a friend, and she let me borrow all three of the books.

Finished Stoker's Dracula, now onto 'Don Quixote' by Miguel de Cervantes. Seems like an excellent book so far, rather hard going, but it's extremely witty and fascinating to read of some of the customs of people in the 1500s

Back