i level all of them equally,
ashe-green and white magics and katanas
fran- black magic and bows
balthier- tachniks and guns
vaan- techniks and swords
penelo- arcane magics and stuffs
bash-swords shields
but the ones i like to play with are BASH FRAN and ASHE

i usually use Vaan (bow plus all quickening)
Basch (big swords, high damage dealer) and my last person varies on the status of my party and the situation.

I learned the folly of my ways in my first file, so this second time around I'm leveling everyone equally. Vaan is lvl 29 and everyone else is lvl 27. It's a bit more work but it makes boss fights much easier.

Balthier and Fran are the only two who have specific roles still (Balthier gunner, Fran archer), everyone else I just switch between spears, katanas and swords.

Vaan (leader; daggers)
Fran (bows and arrows, warhammers)
Ashe (greatswords [Claymore, etc..])

But I'm restarting the game, and so far this is my set-up:

Vaan (leader; spears)
Balthier (poles)
Fran (bows & arrows)

^At this point I'm only at the part just before you meet the Marquis in Bhujerba, so things will probably change in the future.

I use Basch (Hammers)
Fran (Bows and healing Gambit)
And Ashe (Swords Gambit)

But I'm stuck at the moment so I think I might try something else.

Once i fully beat CC i am going to play this game yet again and with my strategy guide it is going to make things way easier then the last time i played it and of course this time I am going to level all my characters equally that way if my main party get killed I will have my back up party to go right into the fray and bring my other members back to life.

I split up the group in two teams

* Balthier (leader)
* Vaan
* Fran

* Basch (leader)
* Penelo
* Ashe

and I change the team when they up a lvl.

I use Basch (Hammers)
Fran (Bows and healing Gambit)
And Ashe (Swords Gambit)

But I'm stuck at the moment so I think I might try something else.

Protip: stay away from hammers (random damage sucks). Also, you may be able to get away early on in the game with only one person healing, but it becomes a necessity later on to have everyone know white magic and heal (around the Henne Mines I'd say).

Once i fully beat CC i am going to play this game yet again and with my strategy guide it is going to make things way easier then the last time i played it and of course this time I am going to level all my characters equally that way if my main party get killed I will have my back up party to go right into the fray and bring my other members back to life.

Ragna has the right idea. Just hike and kill everything you see, make sure you're constantly checking people's stats. Everyone who is going to lvl first, place them in your active party. Soon as they level, switch them out. That's much easier than sticking with three, getting them uber, then going back and leveling the other three (like I did my last file).

Also, avoid teleporting and chocobos. Walking is your best friend.

My party is mostly:
Vaan
Basch or Ashe
Balthier or Fran
penelo is my weakest i don't really use her.

Vaan
Penelo
Balthier
i originaly began my first play through soloing with vaan then later when it came time to face the hell wrym and all those impossible soloing bosses i leveled up the other 2

Fran was the most used.
I think it then divided between Penelo, Ashe and Basch. :/
I didn't use Balthier as much, and rarely used Vaan.

Basch, Fran and Penelo.

But I can't say why. I just began to like the three of them. :3 But when I levelled them up it was always strictly devided by gender. ^^

By the way, Basch was always the leader.

i use 2 teams always
vaan, penelo, and ashe
or
basch, fran and balthier
barely ever switch them around, unless i get snapped, which doesnt happen nemore

Ashe (leader)
Balthier
Basche

i hook ashe up with a katana, mystic amour, and bubble belt then berserk, haste , and bavery Basche (who is useing a great sword and bubble belt wit heavy armor, but soon to be masmune with genji gauntlets). then balthier just chills in the back attacking and using items with light amour.

that how i roll :P

Back