Playstation Reasons Behind PSN Outage

Indeed. its IS sonys fault. But We Run that risk. Hell everyone deserves the right o bitch about this. but Bitching about it ISNT helping you. suing Sony isnt helping too much. (just more money for them to steal) We can blame them all we want. but we Still should be more worried about our shit being used. Not bitching about lost achivements.

I have to say this, both sides are right in all honesty.

Yes if your info got stolen off a company that is "reliable" Amazon, Sony, Microsoft, whatever, you do expect them to keep it secure, and if they don't yeah you want your money back, yeah your going yell at the company, your your going be mad about everything.

At the same time, it is the internet! you put your info anywhere at all on the web you run the risk of it being stolen, even if its just your name, or your email account, anything, you run that risk of it getting taken. with little info they can get a lot from it. Thats why people also say, "Watch what you put on the web."

So yes you can be angry and yell at the company, but lets admit it, this isnt the first time and the last time that a company is going get hacked, and peoples info will be stolen.

I'm just curious, who will still use PSN after this? Was this attack enough to drop that 75 (or was it 77?) million accounts by a noticeable amount, or are people still gonna stick to PSN?

As I said, I was lucky and only added funds through PSN cards, so I don't have too much damning info out there via Sony, but because of this, I will now only continue to use PSN cards.

as much as people whine and moan, many will return to the network, 'cause they love their multiplayer. sales might drop a bunch though!

I'm just curious, who will still use PSN after this? Was this attack enough to drop that 75 (or was it 77?) million accounts by a noticeable amount, or are people still gonna stick to PSN?

As I said, I was lucky and only added funds through PSN cards, so I don't have too much damning info out there via Sony, but because of this, I will now only continue to use PSN cards.
I will return to PSN without a shadow of doubt in my mind. But I'll do what you do - use PSN vouchers/cards from the local game stores.

I use psn cards and I even buy them online so I get the code instantly on screen and in my email...Im lazy lol....ofcourse I'll go back to PSN...xbl can kiss my ass....I like PSN"S community and all..

Its hacked and who knows if Sony could have prevented it better..either way Sony and the customers be weary..dont take hackers so lightly......we put too much info on the internet.......social network sites.......etc...

Also so far personal data has been leaked...CC was encrypted..check KYOSHIRO latest post so who knows..

I did recieve an email from Sony ...week later but yeah I knew already from the net.

Everyone I've spoken to has gotten an email from Sony, so I presume that it's everyone, regardless of whether they have credit information or not with the network. They had to let everyone know what was going. Too damn right they should've done, too. xD

I got an email from Sony and I didn't know I had PSN. 8(

@Chanpanion Cube
MOD EDIT: Can you please put more effort into your post? This is a spam post in a post count section. You know better than this. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't directed at any one person here who is coming to Sony's defense or is saying "poor Sony"...who I really feel sorry for are the people who have to sit and worry whether or not they are going to be victims of identity theft...and those like myself who had to sit on the phone for a period of time canceling their cc's in prevention of possible theft...and to those who have said it is the person's choice for giving out their cc information...yes, it is my choice that I have given out my cc information to them...and yes, I am aware that any time I do that, there is a risk involved. There are obvious risks with everything that we do.
thank you for pointing that out ^^ no one else seemed to be rep+

Mr_Fair
MOD EDIT: Can you please put a little more effort into your post? This is a spam post in a post count section. Please elaborate more on why you agree with the post. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fusionist -

XBOX can kiss my shiny metal ass.... I've been with Sony for this long, why give up on them now, and I'm QUITE sure that the rest of the 77 million users are agreeing with me.

Even though I may have owned and played the Xbox's products for a bit, I will never leave Sony to suffer through shit like this. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. And I strongly believe Sony will get back up from this and soar even higher to new heights.

Once a Sony Lover, always a Sony lover, and that's not fanboying. I grew up with a Playstation, and it was the first console I've ever played.
:dave:

This dident really affect me but I warned my Friends and Family who use a PSN Account and have a Credit card so they should be ok..

As for me I;ll stick to the PSN I never used a Credit Card on my PSN just the PSN Card's since I figured it would get comprimised at somepoint ((Hackers always find a way somehow so precautions 8D)),I do hate that sony got hacked and so many people's info got stolen,but maybe this will teach sony that security isent perfect =o

That Aside I do hope it returns soon and hope my Wallet still has the 4$'s I had saved up for Dissdia Duodecim DLC ~.~

Speaking of funds, that's the one thing I haven't understood. Were any of the funds already in our Sony wallets compromised? I understand once the money is in the wallet, it's pretty much stuck there, so it's not like funds can be stolen (or can they? D: ), but would the potential hackers think to buy things off of PSN with other people's funds?

Although with PSN offline, it's not like anything can actually be bought, but still...

EDIT: Well it's about time

PSN TO COME BACK ONLINE THIS WEEK

Seems we'll need to change our passwords once we wanna sign in, but at least it should be back soon. Plus it seems every account will have 30 days free subscription of PlayStation Plus (and other stuff it seems).

Last edited:
Speculation on when the PlayStation Network would come back online has run rampant in the two weeks since Sony took it down, and Sony hasn’t been terribly forthcoming about the state of repairs or re-engineering, and certainly not around when players can expect to use it again.

According to a previous statement posted to the Sony PSN blog on April 30th, they initially expected to “have some services up and running within a week from yesterday,” which would indicate a return to service as soon as tomorrow. Other statements however, said that some PSN services would be available as recently as last Tuesday, May 3rd, especially for PlayStation Plus members.

Clearly that hasn’t happened, and Sony hasn’t gone out of its way to confirm or deny that tomorrow, PlayStation owners will be able to play again. The company hasn’t indicated at all when SOE customers will be able to sign in to their favorite MMOs again. Sony’s silence on the matter, not to mention the conflicting speculation on when PSN will be back online, can’t be good for the company, or the gamers who desperately just want to go back to their favorite pastime.

We’ve already discussed some of the impact for Sony should PSN continue to remain offline, and we’re already seeing some of that fallout: Hulu Plus members are getting a week’s free service because of the PSN debacle, and if the outage continues, Hulu may be forced to extend that credit. Sony hasn’t stopped furiously marketing SOCOM 4 to gamers, even though online multiplayer is all but absent without PSN.

Also, in the early stages of the outage, Sony said that when PSN came back online, it would be “rebuilt from scratch.” It’s pretty difficult to believe that Sony could completely tear down and re-engineer PSN from the ground up using enhanced security techniques and new technologies in just under two weeks. Now, new information has come out that the server that hosted PSN were running an outdated version of Apache and wasn’t even protected by a firewall. Still, Sony’s previous statement that some services may be online as soon as tomorrow stands, and Sony hasn’t backed off of either statement.

Technology issues aside, Sony may be doing the most damage to its brand and its reputation with gamers just by failing to communicate effectively. It makes sense that they would want to be careful with their words while they work with law enforcement to find the people responsible for the attack.

Even so, it would make more sense to keep players more in the know than out in the cold. Most players are already angry and frustrated. Some are even ready to jump ship to the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live and cancel their SOE game subscriptions. More are willing to stick it out as long as there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Sony just has to provide that light before they give up and move on.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...y-be-back-online-as-soon-as-tomorrow-2011055/

lol to jump the wagon and go to xbox and its live network is ridiculous lmao..I would rather just quit gaming in general than switching to xbox...ridiculous..

It pisses me off Sony is misleading us,...they should just tell us the truth from the get go,.,,,theories and speculation is already damaging the company...and now this silence..on top of that they promised things...you should never promise things which you can not do in the end that will only infuriate people more...

Just keep us in the loop....for fucks sake...
This is taking too long now...I actually miss playing COD.. :lew:

Little bit of info, for those of you who care to know. I'm a PS+ user, and after a bout on Mass Effect 2 today I went to shut off my PS3 to do other things....and it woke itself back up. Which it only does when an update is available for us, which means the PSN may have been on, if only momentarilly. Or maybe my PS3 is just tweaked out on coke. Either way, there is something rumbling within my PS3's network connection.

Little bit of info, for those of you who care to know. I'm a PS+ user, and after a bout on Mass Effect 2 today I went to shut off my PS3 to do other things....and it woke itself back up. Which it only does when an update is available for us, which means the PSN may have been on, if only momentarilly. Or maybe my PS3 is just tweaked out on coke. Either way, there is something rumbling within my PS3's network connection.

NEWS!!! :gasp:

Now I have to try turning mine on to see what I get...I'm not expecting any miracles though.

Really, its sad when we can count on ourselves more for news about the network by randomly turning on our ps3's than for Sony to make any announcements or anthing themselves.

I don't believe much of anything that they say...first they say pieces of the network will be on 3-4 days ago...but nothing...which I kindof expected because I think it'll take longer than a couple of weeks to rebuild the network from the ground up.

Anyways... I'm on and the latest update is already installed and the psn is still undergoing maintenance. Surprise surprise. :monster:

Sony president Sir Howard Stringer has come under fire from critics recently, who claimed he should have made a public appearance sooner to offer an apology to the 100 million-plus customers affected by the recent PSN and SOE hacks. Now, Stringer has taken to the PlayStation Blog to make a formal statement.

226799-psn-hack_original.jpg

"Dear Friends," he begins, "I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you. Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyberattack we've all experienced and on fixing it. We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less."

Stringer also confirms the "Welcome Back" package once PSN is up and running. This will include a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN users, extensions of subscriptions for existing PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers and "other benefits."

He also responds to the most common criticism of the whole affair -- the delay between Sony discovering the issue and notifying the public that there was a problem.

"I know some believe we should have notified our customers earlier than we did," he admits. "I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, butforensic analysis is a time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had -- or had not -- been taken."

226802-psn_crime_scene180_original.jpg

Stringer also reiterates the fact that there is "no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused" but that the company is "continu[ing] to monitor the situation closely" and has launched a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user for users in the US.

For more information on the outage, check out PC World's PlayStation Network Hack Timeline. See also "PlayStation Network Security Breach: A Survival Guide."

To find out more about the identity theft insurance policy, check this link. Stringer promises that announcements for other regions will be coming "soon."

This article originally appeared on GamePro.com as Stringer Issues PSN Apology

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227305/sony_president_adds_his_apology_for_psn_outage.html

featured-post.png

Posted on 7 May by Nick Caplin – Head of Communications, SCEE

Service Restoration Update

Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ

As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.
As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.
When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.

Source - http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/07/service-restoration-update/

Sat, May 07, 2011 | 09:47 BST
Add to My News
Black Ops gets Double XP weekend

Treyarch’s holding a Double XP weekend across all systems to mark the release of the latest Black Ops map pack, Escalation.
More »

2 Posted in: Activision Blizzard, PC, PS3, Shooter, Xbox 360
Tags: activision, Black Ops, blizzard, call of duty
twitter.png
share.png

Fri, May 06, 2011 | 22:56 BST
Add to My News
EU PSN members to get free games with Sony’s Welcome Back program

Sony has announced on the EU PS Blog that as well as offering data protection services endemic to each region, it will also be offering PSN users two free games from a list of five titles as part of a Welcome Back program. PSP users will be able to choose from a list of four. The program, which is an apology for the recent PSN hack, will also contain the previously announced month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, and a free extension to current Plus and Music Unlimited customers. More consolation prizes are expected to be announced soon.
Anonymous vets claim members of the group are likely behind attack on PSN

Two members of Anonymous feel that at least one of its members was behind the attack on Sony, which resulted in the PSN service being brought down and user data being compromised.

Source - http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/06/ano...of-the-group-are-likely-behind-attack-on-psn/

Once a Sony Lover, always a Sony lover, and that's not fanboying. I grew up with a Playstation, and it was the first console I've ever played. :dave:
sony sucks at marketing

i hate them.

but the PS2 was the most godly console of all time

edit:

also i found that anon article's comments highly amusing to read.

46083.jpg

Anonymous members have revealed that associated hackers may have used the organization's information in the attack on the PlayStation Network.

Non-centralized hacking group Anonymous has denied responsibility for the hack-attacks on the PlayStation Network and on Sony Online Entertainment multiple times, most recently stating that credit card and personal information theft isn't its bag. However, Anonymous members have apparently divulged that the group may still have been indirectly responsible.

Anonymous associates speaking to the Financial Times reportedly believe that whoever attacked Sony actually was related to Anonymous in some way. One member said that he saw the details of a vulnerability in Sony's network in an Anonymous chat room shortly before the first attack took place. "The hacker that did this was supporting OpSony's movements," he said.

This appears to mean that a "member" of Anonymous could have carried out the attacks, but without "official" sanction from Anonymous "leadership." The reason for all the quotes is that Anonymous doesn't have a membership per se, but is made of a group of people that agree to carry out certain operations in certain situations.

Another member explains, as has been explained many times before: "If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it. Just because the rest of Anonymous might not agree with it, doesn't mean Anonymous didn't do it."

Other Anonymous members evidently said that the attacks on Sony were "uncalled for" and that the vehement Anonymous denials have stemmed from fear of getting caught by the FBI. They add that "no one is selling anything," referring primarily to PSN and SOE customer credit card information. Due to the intentionally ethereal nature of Anonymous, we may never know the truth, unless someone gets caught.

Source: Financial Times

Back