[V1] What are you currently playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently playing Resident Evil 5 with o0PinkSquid0o on PS3

He made me play on Veteran and I am not very good at it >:C but so far I'm having fun. We're currently at Chapter 2.2 (I think) and will soon be going to the horrible swamp area.

I originally played this game on Xbox360 and am having a lot of trouble remembering the PS3 controls for it which is probably adding to how shit I am.

I am playing RE5 with my dearest pal Ana, it is actually much more fun than I anticipated. It is nowhere near as good as four but it has its own charm, plus being able to play online is great.

I am also slowly going through the offline campaign by myself, and though the AI fucks up some of the time, it hasn't been too maddening as of yet.

Just finished Final Fantasy X-2, so I decided to reach deep into my old school bag o'games and pulled out Earthbound. Man, do I ever love this game. It's quirky, it's crazy and it has evil New Age Retro Hippies roaming the countryside and terrifying the populace. It was the game that I was born to play baby! Actually, I haven't played the game in a good, long while so I felt the urge to fire it back up.

Now... it's time for me to battle Frank and his killer robot. If I survive, I'll be back. If not, I bid you all adieu.

Started playing Tales of Innocence on my DS yesterday. It's really good. And it's one of the best looking games on the DS and it's 3 years old. Everything is rendered in full 3D from the townspeople to buildings to the mountains on the world map. I wish Dragon Quest IX (which I'm also playing) could have looked more like this. On top of that it's got voice acting throughout the entire game. It's in Japanese but it's one of the few DS games with voice acting like this. I don't think it's extremely long, though. I'm about 5 or 6 hours in (stuck on a boss where the difficulty spiked up a bit high) and the Awakening bar, which tells you how much percent of the game you've seen, is at around 25%. All in all a fun game.

And The Joker great game choice! I love the Mother series. Going on my 3rd playthrough of Mother 3 since the translation patch came out a few years back. But my save kind of got messed up so I have to do stuff over again in chapter 7.

And @The Joker great game choice! I love the Mother series. Going on my 3rd playthrough of Mother 3 since the translation patch came out a few years back. But my save kind of got messed up so I have to do stuff over again in chapter 7.

Thank you @Draklor! Oh, I'm a huge fan of the series as well. Ouch, save files messing up is one of the great disasters of gaming. I've played through Mother, and Mother 2 like a million times. I don't know how it fell through the cracks, but I've never played Mother 3. Much to my great shame. Good luck with your playthrough though!

Since I've meandered a bit off topic to the subject of this post, I'll also reveal that, in addition to Earthbound, I'm continuing my playthrough of Dragon Quest VIII. It will probably lost a lot of gaming time because I'll be focusing on Earthbound, but I'll want to focus on this too. I like what I'm seeing so far. The graphics of the game are rather cartoony, but I like them, and they look absolutely gorgeous on my new television, so yay on that.

I was recently playing Pokemon White and am now playing Dead or Alive Dimensions on the side as well. Pokemon White.. which I had on hold for awhile. I finally got through the end. Now I am right after the league. I started EV training my Reshiram and Zekrom as well. Still not done.. but I will finish soon enough. Just got a 3DS and DOA Dimensions today for my birthday so I am more or less just playing the story mode of DOA which I could finish pretty easily. I also want to start unlocking costumes so I may have to play time attack to do so. Have not even touched arcade mode yet.

Been playing White Knight Chronicles II almost exclusively over the last few days; trying to finish the story before Xenoblade arrives and dominates my life...probably isn't going to happen, since I only just started the second game, and a certain someone keeps on dragging me into online matches, but eh, it's a fun way to pass the time. My avatar is now a spellcasting killing machine with third-tier and area-of-effect spells, as well as some MP regenration skills, meaning most battles don't last very long...although Miu is a useless bitch who is really getting on my nerves, because her death means game over, and she likes dying, a lot :hmph:

Fallout 3

It's a pretty excellent game or so I am finding, it's fun to explore the place and discovering new quests and areas. The combat system is very well done and really gorgeous to look at, the trading and repairing systems are also very clever. A big problem is the enemy NPCs though, they have pin point accuracy from any distance with any weapon. Which means a lot of the time if you stray into a certain area you will be mowed down and unable to do anything

Dragon Age II.

I swore to myself I wouldn't touch it until I'd gotten through Origins and touched it up to 100%. Since I've done that, I've been playing this more than anything else. It's not a bad game so far, I've just gotten onto the second act. There are a few twists and turns here, but the storyline is somewhat poorer than Origins. Admittedly, it's always hard to follow up to such a great game. I have the Sarcastic Female Hawke at the moment and I think she's damn right hilarious. xD

Team Fortress 2. This brings me back to my younger days of Star Wars Battlefront...only this is infinitely more awesome.

I need a way to be less obsessed with it.

My life has now totally been taken over by Xenoblade Chronicles. First impressions so far are almost entirely positive: the battle system is fast-paced and enjoyable, with skills have a cooldown time and requiring manual activation, but attacks being automatic when you enter battle. It provides a nice balance...the game doesn't play itself, but you aren't mashing frantically at buttons either. The scenery is fantastic for the Wii, there is already plenty of intrigue to the story - and all manner of crazy shit has just gone down - and I've been playing it for about three hours and I already have about ten sidequests to do...I'm a little worried I'm not going to be able to fulfill them now, actually, given recent events...

The cast is quite likeable, as well. Everyone is JUST SO UNBELIEVABLY BRITISH. It feels...natural. I've played games with better voice acting, but not many; this is good in a totally different kind of way. It just sounds so awesome, and it's nice to have a protagonist who can actually think for himself...although I can see Fiora getting on my nerves, perhaps. I've already gotten on her bad side somewhat due to answering a Heart-to-Heart question incorrectly...lesson learned. Saving periodically. But the annoying thing is I can't see to watch any of the others I've found, and there is no detail whatsoever on them...

Levels aren't everything either, which is...nice, I suppose. I've been killed a few times now by slightly bigger enemies that hit significantly harder, including a rabbit with a branch in its tail and a giant spiky caterpillar...thing. I still need to fully explore the skill and tech systems (hoping it's possible to max out everything, but somehow I doubt it...for the moment I'm sticking with the default until I get what I want from them, and prioritizing the skills the AI use for boosting) and I don't think I can even craft gems yet.

My single complaint? Character faces are fugly. Seriously, they look all smooshed. Given their otherwise normal appearance (not to mention their clothes change when you equip different armour - at present, Shulk looks a bit like David Nassau, Reyn looks like Wakka right down to his bare chest, and Fiora is wearing a bikini, because of the HP boost...no, I have no idea how that works...) it's quite disappointing, but it's a minor complaint, and the style is growing on me...a little.

At the moment, I'm supposed to be meeting up with Fiora in the Residential District...I've got Dunban on my side now, so I'm not too worried. It won't last, though, that much I am certain of.

:tl;dr:

...this is easily the most fun I've had on a video game in a looooong time.

Martel, I am so jealous of you right now!!! I want to play that game so badly, it comes out in September here!!

Anywho, I am currently replaying FFX. It's been a really, really, really long time since I last played that game, and I really felt like playing an FF game. It was a struggle to choose between 7 and 10 but in the end I went with 10.

I've not played a lot of it yet, I'm just at the bit where you go underwater with Rikku (when you first meet her) I'm excited to get home and play some more tonight.
I've completely forgotten how to use the sphere grid :( so I'll have to relearn all that again but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

The graphics which were really good for their time kind of irk me because...they're really not that good lmfao, the character faces are hideous but that wont stop me from playing :)

I've decided I really hate Tidus. I used to like him but I must not have realised how incredibly annoying he is!! Hopefully he grows less annoying towards the middle of the game :|

I am currently playing a game called Call of Duty: World at War, or trout for short

I do not particularly like this kind of war game, but I enjoy zombies and a pal lent it to me. I was bored today and as I wasn't in the mood for Fallout 3 or RE5 decided to give it a lash

Decided to play a bit of the campaign first and was pleasantly surprised, it got going nice and quick. The controls are well laid out and precise, the ability to take dead enemy's weapons is also cool(you could not do this in MoH on PS1). I have actually died a good few times already, which is good because a lot of games are really easy these days. The grenade warning thing is good also

I then played a few rounds of zombies and lost quickly, but I will get good by next week when I will be having a gaffer. There is bound to be hungover CoD the next day

Xenoblade has arrived and it's quickly becoming the most addictive RPG I've ever touched in a long time. The first thing that came to mind was the sheer scale of the game. Several hours in and I'm still only in the very first area (the Colony 9 area) and what I've mainly been doing is just exploring nearly every nook and cranny with Shulk and Fiora, carefully fighting through creatures that wouldn't kill me in several hits such as rabbits and giant caterpillars. The scale of the game is certainly expected, yet it still managed to intimidate this, because I've never seen anything like this from a JRPG. It's an entirely novel concept to have a world of such scale that I honestly had no idea which direction I should take next.

The battle system definitely reminds me of FFXII. Your party members automatically hack away at a targetted opponent, with the addition of manually-activated Art abilities and affinity actions that really give interesting depth to what appears on the surface to be a simple-looking battle system. What we have is just something that while reminds me of FFXII, it feels slicker and quicker, which is definitely a plus considering how much I actually liked FFXII. I have yet to attain Monado yet, so the future abilities haven't been sampled yet, but I figure they will add in another dimension of tactics to the later Mechon fights that definitely sounds intriguing.

What gives you an incentive to explore, find areas and do sidequests are the EXP rewards you attain, as well as SP and other miscellaneous rewards. It's certainly a much-needed mechanism to balance out the game a bit so you're not simply grinding mindlessly. Even then as Martel has mentioned, levels are only superficial in a way as certain special monsters with a lower level can still mow you over like you're nothing. The mix of strong monsters and weak monsters gives that sense of realism - the game is not tailor-suited to a player, it's not going to throw only weak monsters at you in the beginning. It's up to the player to watch out where they're going and who they're facing. The ability to save wherever you want is also a fantastic feature.

Several hours in and I haven't managed to explore the entire Colony 9 area yet. I have about 12 sidequests done and another 6 yet to finish (with a lot more undiscovered likely), one heart to heart successfully done, a few achievements and a collectipedia of the area done. That simply gives you an idea of just how much content has been squeezed into this game and frankly, I feel overwhelmed from time to time. :gasp:

I've already gotten on her bad side somewhat due to answering a Heart-to-Heart question incorrectly...lesson learned. Saving periodically.

I fluked that one and did it correctly. xD

I wasn't a fan of this because it screamed Star Ocean 4's Private Actions all over again and I wasn't too terribly fond of them, so I guess I wouldn't care too much if I annoy Fiora.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Nintendo Wii

I just received Xenoblade Chronicles in the mail yesterday and was super excited to get home to play it!! I popped it into the wii and immediately I was impressed!! The world is huge and there is so much to do, I can hardly wrap my head around it all!! I was unable to play too much but just exploring the first city was really fun and getting lost was easy! All I can say is thank god for quick travel!!

The graphics are pretty good for a Wii game but they don't compare to anything on the PS3 or Xbox unfortunately and on my big TV they looked a bit dated, I think they'd look better on a smaller screen. The characters also have odd faces but I'll get over it.

I love the British Voice Acting, I think it's hilariously awesome, a little corny at times but that doesn't matter. The characters are alright, some are a little annoying like Fiora, Shulk's (the main character) childhood friend.

I can't wait to get home to play more so I can actually advance in the story rather than explore everywhere, I am buying a classic controller pro tonight though as I find the wiimote and nunchuck to be a little annoying to use.

Currently playing Tales of the Abyss that I got yesterday. Almost done with part 1 :gasp: I have about 15 hours on it already, but 2 of them are from letting it sit for about 10 minutes every so often throughout the day. It's fun :D Toni would like it if only she would give it a chance :sad3: I'm enjoying it much more than Symphonia.

Still hammering away at Xenoblade Chronicles here. Just finished off Valak Mountains - after an EPIC confrontation with Metal Face in which my suspicions were confirmed and now I have several more - and I've now moved on to Sword Valley, where the game began. I'm quite excited, because it shows up as the Mechonis on the little title description you get, so...could I get to explore the entire Mechonis as well? :jess:

I feel like I'm going through the game too quickly - I'm averaging about 5 hours a day on it, though - but I'm the kind of person to do sidequests after the main quest...or in my second playthrough, and oh, there will definetely be a second playthrough. I should have done them as I went along really, because not I have a ton of low-level sidequests I can't be bothered with. Woops.

I still can't get Melia to get full affinity with Shulk...it's starting to worry me a bit, because Shulk already has maxxed affinity with Sharla, so perhaps you can only max it with one character...which I DO NOT WANT. I want to pair Sharla off with Dunban, and Melia off with Shulk, because it is OBVIOUS that Melia is crushing on him. I'm not even sure if this game has multiple endings...I don't believe it does, though.

Main party is Shulk, Melia and Sharla...I'll use Dunban if/when I can max out Melia. Not really interested in Riki or Reyn at the moment...Reyn has become more comic relief than anything else. Everyone is around level 47, one or two levels above the normal enemies...it's been like that for the entire game. I'm not too worried, it adds to the challenge, and grinding is a nightmare anyway...

Batman: Arkham Asylum

This is quite a good game so far, I reckon I am approximately two thirds of the way through. The gameplay is quite good and has managed to avoid repetition, however none of the puzzles really phase the player. It is still a decent game though

The voice acting is very well done, Mark Hamill is a more accurate Joker than Heath Ledger, and whoever is voicing Batman does it well also. Gary Oldman is a far superior Inspector Gordon though

Gary Oldman is so great

Same as Martel, the two of us are chipping away at Xenoblade and probably forgetting that there's such a thing as sunlight. xD

I recently got through the entire Ether Mines which concluded with a series of epic boss battles against several Deceptico...uhh, Mechons. Xord and Starscream may sound rather corny with a bit of their dialogue, but I've quickly fallen in love with them. If these are the kind of main villains that Xenoblade is going to keep throwing at us (even if they're pretty hard to damage in battle), then bring it on. Since I have yet to manufacture some gems due to the fact that the instruction manual intimidated me a little on the basics of gem crafting, I've been running around with a bag full of crystals and low-quality gems, and I've been too lazy to sell them, so I had to ignore about 80% of the ether deposits in that place.

I may swap out Reyn for Dunban here (sorry Reyn, you're awesome and all). His affinity with Shulk is already maxed out, so why there isn't a yaoi scene springing up yet in the form of a heart-to-heart I've no idea. This swap-out will give Dunban the chance to increase his affinity with the party and purely to show off his badassery in battle, as he is quickly becoming my favourite character in the group. Then when Melia comes along, I'm hoping to try and do what Martel hasn't been able to do and max out her affinity with Shulk.

Seeing as I ploughed through the whole of the Ether Mines in one go, I may slow down, take a breather and go back to some sidequests, while at the same time I've just figured out that some of them are timed. With how often I've meddled with the clock and procrastinated with some of the timed missions, it's probably safe to assume that I've failed them by now. If I've access to what's left of Colony 6 now, I presume they'll be a ton of sidequests asking you to collect some things or slay some certain beasts in an attempt to rebuild the entire colony after Mechon occupation.

Sharla does bug me at times. She's supposed to be my medic, so enjoys using Thunder Bullet a lot more than actually doing what she's supposed to be doing and keeping us alive. Heck, even with a simple Light Heal spell that has a painfully long cooldown period and the ability to revive a dead party member with the press of a button, Shulk is proving to be the better medic than she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back