[V2] Last Movie You've Seen

Fargo

I picked this up for £2 at the supermarket a few months ago. It was somewhat of a blind buy, but I have since read that Malcolm McDowell considers this his favourite movie. It is directed by Joel (and probably Ethan) Coen, and you can tell, it has that snappy and lively dialogue that Coen Brothers movies have. It is, for the sake of nomenclature, a thriller, but there are lots of other elements to it. It is very funny in places, without being a comedy film, or killing the suspense.

William H. Macy's character is a slimy businessman, and his performance is fantastic, and is an unlikely and subtle antagonist. Steve Buscemi is good in everything he is in, and this is no exception; I believe that Buscemi is one of the most underrated actors on the planet. I think the star of the movie is Frances McDormand, who plays a 7 months pregnant police officer, who lives a very quiet life. Every scene she plays is pretty much perfect, and she won the Academy Award for Best Actress.

There are certain stylistic elements to this film that I really like, for example not introducing McDormand's character until about a third of the way into the film. Typically, films introduce all their main characters early on, and if the character isn't needed, they'd just be in mundane sequences which kind of kill the pacing and atmosphere of movies.

There was nothing about this movie which was utterly awesome, but I'd have no hesitation in recommending this movie to pretty much everyone.

Rating: 8.5/10

Clash of the Titans.

I was pretty unimpressed with it. It was yet another epic historical film that just didn't live up to the hype, á la Alexander. Sam Worthington was very wooden (surprise, surprise) and Gemma Arterton was... Gemma Arterton. It was quite poorly scripted and for a film with such a large budget, the CGI effects were surprisingly bad.
However, I thought Liam Neeson as Zeus was rather inspired and Ralph Fiennes was brilliant as Hades. They aren't enough to save the film, though.

13 Going On 30

It was so much fun watching this again! Basically, a young girl called Jenna has her thirteenth birthday party ruined and wishes she could be an adult ... only to wake up as a thirty-year-old with a successful career! Heh, I know I'd panic if that ever happened to me. Was full of good laughs and I love how Jenna just cheated by getting married to her best friend years later.

8/10

Movie: Fast and Furious

Rating: M

Comments: Pretty good movie.

Not the best of the four but it was still entertaining.

Pretty much Dom leaves town and his girlfriend because the police are looking for him.

Only to find out a little while later that his girlfriend has been murdered and so he goes back and tries to seek out her killer and finds out that the killer is involved in some race car ring.

Score: 10/10

Movie: Out For Justice (Steven Seagal)

Reason:
I love this movie, its my second fav Seagal movie next to Marked for Death. Its a bit over rated with the fact that one man takes down every bad guy, but i love it :-).

I rate this movie 9.5/10

The Covenant

I really do think it's one of those underrated films. Basically, it's about four families descending from the times of the Salem Witch Trials and they discover the fifth family link is still alive. They're witches and have incredible powers, but they come at a cost. Every time they Use, the power sucks away at their youth. The fight scene at the end was very intense, love to watch all that action. Even got my mum to watch it with me, which was an achievement. Reid's line at the beginning has to be the best, though. "Harry Potter can kiss my ass!"

9/10

Three Colors: Blue

This is a French language film from a really influential Polish director called Krzysztof Kieślowski. It is a part of the Three Colors Trilogy (also featuring Three Colors: White and Three Colors: Red, get it?).

It is set in Paris and opens immediately with a family caught in a car accident. The father and daughter are killed immediately, leaving only the mother (Juliette Binoche). The movie deals with her grief, and the various ways she tries to deal with it. Binoche does a fantastic job of portraying a fairly cold and distant character whilst maintaining a sense of empathy that protagonists need for audiences to connect with.

This movie is a masterclass in filmmaking, truly. The director uses music as one of the key elements in his storytelling and incidentally, the plot (an unfinished piece of music the deceased father was composing plays in important role). This film represents a near-perfect marriage of sound an vision, and is in no way pretentious or overly "artsy", as certain movies can be.

This is not really recreational viewing, but a fascinating and emotional movie that will almost certainly leave you speechless.

Rating: 8.5/10

Movie: Clueless

Rating: PG

Comments: Was in love with this movie as a kid.

I just loved all the outfits she used to wear. She reminded me so much of Barbie.

It's such an awesome movie for it's time! It has it's funny moments and I love these sort of old highschool movies. <3

They aren't as bitchy as they are today it feels. >.<

The Dоctor;697117 said:
Clash of the Titans.

I was pretty unimpressed with it. It was yet another epic historical film that just didn't live up to the hype, á la Alexander. Sam Worthington was very wooden (surprise, surprise) and Gemma Arterton was... Gemma Arterton. It was quite poorly scripted and for a film with such a large budget, the CGI effects were surprisingly bad.
However, I thought Liam Neeson as Zeus was rather inspired and Ralph Fiennes was brilliant as Hades. They aren't enough to save the film, though.

Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes were great, they totally made the movie for me.

Last movie I watched was Grave of the Fireflies on DVD. Great film. I can understand why it has been revered by many. The story is never boring, but the characters can sometimes be annoying to listen to (I'm talking about the little girl. Will the whining stop?).
I'd rate it 8.5/10

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

It was okay I guess, I've never seen any other Nightmare On Elm Street film so I have nothing to compare it to. It had a decent plot that was easy to follow and some solid acting overall, the kid played his part really well mind. There was nothing particularly amazing about the film but it could pass as decent.

The Fourth Kind

Wow.

I am not a sci-fi movie lover at all, and to be honest, I watched this movie 'cause I was expecting a horror movie, and also 'cause I think Mila is a real great actress, however - I would class this one under sci-fi horror, and it was damned good.

I love their take on this. It wasn't "scary" as what I usually like to watch, but damn. The whole movie flows really nicely and made me feel really connected, was rather disturbing in a way.

I loved it.

Movie: The Princess Bride

Rating: PG

Comments: This is like my second favourite movie ever.

It's has such an awesome fairytale feel about it and it really is entertaining for an older movie.

Buttercup and Westly are just gorgeous together and it really is true love. <3

Rocky IV - Spoilers if you haven't seen the movie before

I like the Rocky movies and while this one has been criticized of being the worst of the Rocky series, I wouldn't fully agree with that. Sure, it has it's fair share of bad moments and I kinda found Apollo's death a little implausible when he fights Ivan Drago. When Rocky fights Drago later in the movie after Apollo's death, Rocky got hit far more then Apollo did. The upside though it does have some cool montage videos with some cool music and what Rocky movie is complete without a montage video, although it kinda felt like most of the movie was kind of a montage seeing how there were quite a few of them. Rocky IV has gotten some praise for it's soundtrack. Overall I give it:

6/10

Movie: Kick Ass

Comments: This movie is awesome! :gasp:

Just got back from seeing this and it was the best movie I've seen in a while!

Hit Girl is fantastic! She plays her role so well and I love her moves!

There was so much action and it was pretty funny the entire time.

I didn't like that they made Hit Girl swear and say some things a little girl like her shouldn't, but other than that it was freakin' fantastic!

A view to a kill.

Roger Moore is just so terrible.
Generally the opening 5 minutes of a bond film are supposed to be the most action packed, so when James Bond is skiing/snowboarding down a mountain and the soundtrack changes to the Beach Boys you know you're in for a terrible film. Which it was, I am a big James Bond fan, but I had to admit that the one liners made me groan and the action was terrible.
There were two highlights, the bond girl was unusually pretty, and Steed from the avengers was in it. I guess Christolpher Walker being the villain was alright, but there was one scene where it was obvious that the script said, laugh maniacally.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

One of the best in the series so far. It was showing tonight, so I figured that it'd be harmless fun and a great way to relax from a long at work. Was just as good as I remembered when I first watched it at the cinema. There are loads of funny scenes and others that make you wanna cry, but I'm not happy with some things being missed out that were seen in the book.

8/10

Movie: I Love You Man

Comments: Pretty funny movie.

I enjoyed it. It was a bit meh in some parts, but for the majority it was hilarious. >.<

I still think it's silly how soon people get married after meeting someone. 8 months in my opinion is definitely not a long enough time to get to know someone.

Movie: Clash OF The Titans

Rating: Don't give a shit

Comments: It was frustratingly stupid.

Sure the visuals were pretty but then again we're in the 21st century. Where this movie falls hard on its ass is the script. My god, this movie was blatantly bad. There's one noticeable plothole that was completely unnecessary and insulting. They could have gone on without it.
And seriously? An Arabic speaking Jinn that slef-destructs? I'm sorry just when the hell was that mentioned in Greek mythology? Here's my favorite part "The gods are unfair to us" "Oh be thankful they gave us life =D" "Fuck them and them giving us life we need fish woman FISH!!!8("Or how about those giant scorpions attacking our fellowship of the medusa head and being fought off by our brave heroes, these Turkish headhunters (or whoever the fuck they are) make a shield for our beloved Perseus made of the Scorpion's hide and claim that it's harder than any steel.....YOU MEAN THE STEEL THAT YOU JUST USED TO CUT THROUGH THESE VENOMOUS PRICKS LIKE A ROTTEN APPLE??Oh and Zues good lord. Teh only reason why I went to watch this piece of shit was because Liam Neeson was in it and surprise surprise he plays a prick. So this king decides to wage war against the gods, y'know since they have the upper hand what with all the god-slaying steel that they have and Zues goes "Hmmm instead of killing him I'll just do his wife GIGIDDY GIGIDDY :3" and thus Perseus was born.. this guy tricked Hades into a life of misery and Hades turns out to be the bad guy btw did I mention that? Barely anything was mentioned about the Titans I thought they would've played a crucial part in the story since oh I don't know...they're mentioned in the title?

Ugh, forgive me I tend to be a nitpicky bastard -__-

Music was good

4/10

Last edited:
Alone in the dark

3/10

It sucked. Really, When I saw the title I hoped it would link to the game (I only played a demo and I loved that) The movie started out good, but then it went downhill fast. Most actors were bad. This movie was rated 16+ well, it wasn't. The monsters were crap, make-up was bad, everything was fake, seen a movie before from the producer Uwe Boll, never gonna do that again. It's a miracle I actually watched everything from the movie xD

Cemetery Junction

A fantastic little film. It was written by Ricky Gervais, and it has some beautiful dry comedy to it that you probably have to take with a pinch of salt if you're easily offended. I don't know why, but I found it really easy to identify with the characters and I rooted for them from the off. Which is odd because I don't come from the same kind of background that they did since I've been raised in a city.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who loves British cinema.

Back